Cotchery asks for and is granted his release

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pluvrr, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

As far as letting sentimental players go (Coth, Ellis, Victor Green, Vilma) here's what I think.

The NFL is a copy cat league, and the best team (Pats) have a mind set of dumping ANY player the INSTANT there may be even a slightly better option. Zero commitment.

Seeing how brutal, yet successful, the Pats have been has to influence other GM's, like Tanny.

2. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

kerley had a great catch on 3rd down vs the chargers where he stretched out and pulled the ball in.also we needed a speed guy in that slot

3. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

The question wasn't whether we had love for the players it was, who has produced since leaving the Jets. I hate JA as well for that matter and have no respect for what him due to what he did or rather didn't do. That said, lets take a quick look:

2006: 4 sacks 4 forced fumbles in 8 games
    2007: 10 sacks, 4 forced fumbles
    2008: 16.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles
    2009: 5.5 sacks, 1 forced fumbles
    2010: 13 sacks, 2 forced fumbles

Granted, it was 6 years ago, he was a prick and had injuries at the time but he turned out to be worth more guaranteed money than we offered.

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The NFL was a league with little owner to player loyalty long before the Pats. Other wise players like Joe Montana would never have retired in any otheruniform but the 9ers. The problem extends from when players hang on too long or owner ship changes the system up in the case of Vilma not fitting into Mangini's defense.

As for a guy like Abraham, trading him for the pick that landed Mangold is money in the back. Nick is arguably the most important player on our offense right now. The line was putrid whiel he was out.

5. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

he would never have succeeded in a 3-4

6. Penning10

Penning10 Member

I disagree....I think in college he was a an OLB in a 3-4...He's getting up there in age now, but I think he would look alot like Aaron Maybin does in our 3-4.

That being said, I think the way JA was handled all worked out for the best.

7. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Abraham has been productive since leaving the Jets, can't argue that much but don't regret seeing him go though. I've always wondered how hurt he was on that playoff game he sat out.

Vilma is a player I wish Jets never got rid of. Mangini messed up by not finding a way to fit him into the system.

8. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Yeah, that Mason-for-Cotchery move really worked out well.

9. Drew

Drew Active Member

Yeah cause that's why we're terrible. Are you fucking serious bro?

10. JamesHasty40

JamesHasty40 New Member

haha agreed... but still we should of kept him. Jets off season moves were pretty much all bad

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Yep. I remember there were arguments on who you'd rather sign long-term, Ellis or Abraham. I was more on Abraham's side because I always liked the guy who could get in the backfield and wreak havoc, causing sacks and turnovers, whereas Ellis was less flashy but never got hurt.

You can't complain about the deal though, given we got Nick Mangold with that pick.