Cotchery asks for and is granted his release

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pluvrr, Aug 4, 2011.

1. bibigon

bibigon Member

I don't think either one is a douche really.

Ellis is getting paid 4 times what we offered him, and Cotch pretty reasonably wanted a chance to explore other options. He didn't screw us - we granted him his release. If we didn't want to release him, we didn't need to.

2. jwmann2

jwmann2 New Member

Fell in love with this guy when I saw him play the Bengals in 2007. (Chad Pennington days). Weird that they saw more promise in an aging veteran than the dedicated and athletic Cotchery.

3. Trifco

Trifco New Member

who saw that?

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

irrelevant, his issue was the role the Jets wanted him as, not how much money he was making. I don't think I've read anything where he was asking for more money or for the Jets to release him.

5. Bumm

Bumm New Member

He'll get plenty of playing time in Pitt not only in their 4 WR sets, but also relieving an aging Ward in the slot at times during the game.

6. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

i highly doubt that's what cotch would consider plenty of playing time.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You haven't read that he wanted the Jets to release him? Really? Where have you been?

8. ........

........ Trolls

That's not at all what he said. He was saying Cotchery asked to be released because of his role on the team, not because of money. He was responding to a post that Cotchery should have been happy because of they money he made.

9. REVIS ISLAND 619

REVIS ISLAND 619 New Member

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=6861214

Jerricho Cotchery: 'Time to move on'
    Rich Cimini [ARCHIVE]

ESPNNewYork.com | August 14, 2011
    Former New York Jets wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, commenting for the first time since his surprising release last week, confirmed Sunday that he wanted out because he didn't see himself in the team's plans.

"It was time for a change, time for a change of scenery for myself and the organization as well," Cotchery told the Pittsburgh media. "It was time to move on. Future-wise, I didn't really see myself fitting in.

"People on the outside looking in might say, 'Well, you been there that long, you're part of the future,' but I didn't really see it that way. I think it would have been beneficial for both sides to move on."

Cotchery, 29, was released Aug. 4 after seven seasons with the Jets, and eventually landed with the Steelers. Initially, there was speculation that the Jets cut ties with him because they were pursuing former Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Derrick Mason, whom they eventually signed. But coach Rex Ryan claimed that Cotchery had requested to be traded or released.

Once the Jets signed Plaxico Burress, the Jets granted Cotchery's agent permission to seek a trade. There were no takers, in part, because of his surgically repaired back. Cotchery underwent surgery in February to repair a herniated disc, and still hadn't been cleared to practice.

Cotchery, a former 1,000-yard receiver, apparently was unhappy with his role as the No. 3 receiver, behind Burress and Santonio Holmes. He felt a backup role again would hinder his ability to land a contract extension; he was due to make $1.8 million this season from the Jets.

Ryan said Cotchery was in the team's plans and would've made the roster.

There wasn't a big market for Cotchery, who settled for a backup role with the Steelers. He will be the third receiver, behind Hines Ward and Mike Wallace. He could drop to fourth when Emmanuel Sanders returns from a foot injury.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

10. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

It's tome for Cotch to STFU. Seriously? He asks to be released or traded because he would be the 3rd wr here, with a question as the 2, and he goes to a team where he will be a 3, at best, and possibly a 4.

11. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Fixed and I agree.

12. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

What did he say that was worthy of this response? He was asked about the situation and gave his honest opinion without saying anything inflammatory. This also the first time we have heard anything from him since he was released.

13. REVIS ISLAND 619

REVIS ISLAND 619 New Member

only thing he said that i didn't really care for was when he was saying his goodbyes to the jets media how he thought pennington would be a jet forever & how he was implying mason coming in meant him leaving. it's like c'mon man, you freaking asked to be let go. your head coach & qb had to try and talk you into not leaving. the aftermath of this all as well was puzzling. he's in no better of a spot then he was (2) weeks ago.

14. alwaysthejets

alwaysthejets New Member

The atmosphere... The way they handle their guys, when referring to the Jets? Eluding to the fact that we don't treat our guys well, or...? I wonder how deep the issues run with him wanting out. None of that sounds good.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

My only guess is that its a Schotty issue.

I'm not even trying to be a Schotty blamer or a hater. Why would he hate Rex? Rex wouldn't have Cotch feeling like this. It has to be offensively related.

I still speculate he felt slighted about not being #2 on this offense. But from the articles I've read, its apparent he's felt this way for more than this offseason. He's clearly disliked his role on the Jets... but to go from #4 to #5 receiving option - this is just a strange story.

There is tons we don't and probably will never know about what went on with Cotch. I respect the privacy.

#375 NDmick, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

This is all fine and dandy...but Cotch needs to shut his face.

He didn't improve his situation, if anything, he buried himself.

Cotch was granted his release in good faith, after he made the request. There's no need to badmouth the organization that gave you your shot.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Why? Cotch is a quiet professional an atmosphere that was pretty mush SOP during both the Edwards and Mangini tenure's. He may simply not fit in with the kind of management style that Rex and some of the younger guys seem to thrive on?

Cotch is a humble guy, not exactly what the Jets are all about today.

18. alwaysthejets

alwaysthejets New Member

That's interesting. I didn't think about it like that. You might be right. It's a strange story when you go from #2/3 to #4/5. Period. It just is.

I actually took it as a shot at Rex and the "new guard" organization of the past three years. It's just a totally different style that the organization has now. It really is. Not to mention, digging deeper, beyond the change in style of the organization these days...

It's on record from Tanny's mouth that Rex was the one saying things to Tanny right after big losses like-- we need a playmaker, a game changer at WR, go get me-- so Tanny makes the move for Tone. The year prior, Rex said something about needing a WR that did whatever-- so Tanny trades for Braylon... All while J. Co is here.

This year, Rex wasn't going to stand pat with J. Co as the number two, and so we got Plax, and then Mason, after the Cotch issue.

Despite the fact that Rex isn't the offensive guy in the organization-- he's still been pretty instrumental in putting his stamp on it, and bringing in "his" guys. His idea to bring in Tom Moore, "his" three draft picks so far have been offensive, Sanchez, Terminator, Powell... The fact that Tone is here, and Rex told him from day one, "If you do everything you're supposed to do, we'll be together for years to come..." and now, Tone not only returned, he set the market at WR this year, and they're going to be expanding Tone's role and teaching him to be an X, Y, Z receiver in our system, while Schotty, Ellard, Moore, etc. I'm sure are the guys who are likely most responsible for the moves they're going to make on that front-- It all ties back to the fact that Rex pretty much told Tanny-- Get me this guy who... And Derrick Mason was clearly a Rex selection, as well. I mean... Looking at it, Rex is very clearly imprinted on this offense.

Combined with the fact that Schotty talked about how J. Co and he are so close in real life, one of his for real favorite people... I don't know if this is about Schotty, as much as the organization as a whole, the plans that had J. Co being a number three, and... I do think Rex, if we look at the fact that Rex has, now, going in to this third year really has a bunch of "his guys" who it's sort of easy to tell from... one of his guys, if that makes sense.

And this? True and good point.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He certainly is starting to sound like a jilted old woman with those comments. He had a chance to leave it alone but apparently doesn't want to.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I can't believe I have to say this about Cotchery but:

[​IMG]