Cotchery a #1 now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bvon, Sep 27, 2009.

1. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

We don't "abolutely" need anything. We could waste our top pick or a stupid trade (remeber when people wanted harris for Marshall?!?) of a key player for a "legitimate" #1 who isn't all that important to the team, or we could keep winning games.

Cross your "top-5" recievers with SB wins and losses. Come-on. If only the Bengals had a top reciever. Oh wait, they do and stil have sucked for many years. How many super bowl wins does Larry F. have? Oh thats right 0. What about TO? 0 again? Moss? 0.

How about this, in 2014, when we have won 3 out of the 5 last superbowls, we can trade a first round pick and spend a ton of money on a true #1 reciever, then never win a superbowl again like the Patriots.

I'm not saying we couldn't be a better team without better recievers. However, having another monsetr like Jenkins for the defense would be much more valuable for the team. Thats just one example.

The thing that really got me was the "something special". We are 3-0 agains some of the toughest teams in the league. We are something special right now. Come on, buy into the hype.

2. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I think there are as many true #1s that have rings as don't. Marvin Harrison, Isacc Bruce, Jerry Rice, Michael Irvan, Lynn Swan come quickly to mind. I am sure there are a ton more. My point is that it may win a SB without a true #1 but just as often you win with one.

3. Megazord2012

Megazord2012 Banned

The main thing is how much of a threat he is deemed by our opponents. If Cotch keeps being a goto guy and coming thru for us, he will start to command some more situational double teams, which will open up other avenues for attack for us.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Football is a team game and if you have a top flight WR you will be a better team. To point out top WRs that don't have a ring as a reason to not have a really good receiver is pretty asinine

I just hope we don't try to acquire one while sacrificing a strength on our team

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I think if you look at the Patriots when they won the Super Bowl vs how they are now, starting with their 18-1 season... the major difference is that they went from being a balanced team that relied on Brady to make clutch plays... to being a gunslinging passing team.

Getting Randy Moss and Wes Welker has definitely made the Patriots a more talented football team and also secured Tom Brady's statistics as being hall of fame statistics... but you need to be able to run the football in order to win championships. Even the Rams had an elite rushing attack when they were the greatest show on turf.

Passing teams aren't championship teams. Balanced teams with great running games and clutch QB play can be championship teams. Adding an elite WR to that balanced offense can only do great things for the team, as long as they stick to their identity and not fall into the trap that the Patriots seem to have fallen into.