Coples stinks as LB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Aug 22, 2015.

1. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

I had this discussion today with my cousin. Coples isn't a linebacker, he is a lineman and it's obvious. I was hoping when Sheldon got suspended they would look at coples to fill his spot and still ease Willaims in.

I think it's so obvious and it baffles me that an NFL coach can't figure this out.

tomdeb likes this.
  2. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

Coples shouldn't play OLB.

tomdeb likes this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

http://nypost.com/2015/08/23/jets-coples-is-unleashed-and-predicting-huge-sack-totals/

Jets’ Coples is unleashed and predicting huge sack totals
    By Zach Braziller

August 23, 2015 | 11:15pm

Modal Trigger
    [​IMG]
    Quinton Coples Photo: Andrew Theodorakis
    MORE ON:
    new york giants
    'Every play is important': Life as a Giants WR on the fringe
    Surveying Giants' damage: Safety gone for year, Beason in doubt
    JPP breaks silence with joke after career-threatening hand injury
    New Giants linebacker makes his former team pay

Quinton Coples smiles broadly, like a cheshire cat, every time he discusses his new role with the Jets. He has a twinkle in his eye and a “just wait” attitude.

After being used more in coverage the past two seasons by former head coach Rex Ryan, the Jets outside linebacker said he expects to return to his pass-rushing roots this season.

“It’s great. I think it’s a new opportunity to rush the passer, something I’m passionate about,” Coples said recently. “I’m pretty happy with the role I’ve got and the position I play on this defense.”

Coples is so confident about the way he has been told he will be utilized in new head coach Todd Bowles’ system he predicted double-digit sacks.

“Ten isn’t good enough,” he said with a cocky smile. “Got to keep going, the highest of the highest. Whatever number is possible.

“Sky is the limit.”

Coples emphasized he will do whatever is asked, and he did get exposed in coverage during Friday night’s preseason victory over the Falcons. He was beat on a short reception by running back Collin Mooney, who turned it into a 60-yard gain. Afterward, Bowles absolved Coples of blame, saying a miscommunication allowed Mooney to get free.

“I still do cover,” Coples said. “I have a lot less responsibility of covering. We have a great secondary, so they don’t really need me as much — if at all.”

After all, now that Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine have been added to the secondary, it could be one of the league’s best.

Coples hasn’t been a bust since the Jets selected him in the first round (16th overall) of the 2012 draft out of North Carolina, but he hasn’t been a boom, either. He has failed to produce more than 6.5 sacks in a season. He has shown flashes, but has lacked consistency.

He was ranked 39th among 46 of the league’s 3-4 outside linebackers by Pro Football Focus — 27th as a pass rusher, 17th in coverage, and 42nd against the run. Those numbers were somewhat down compared to his first year at outside linebacker, when PFF ranked him 31st overall, 38th as a pass rusher, 22nd in coverage and 18th against the run.

But, it should be noted, Coples was used more in coverage last season because the Jets were so weak in the secondary. He was asked to line up outside and bump wide receivers.

Shortly after the new staff was hired, Coples spoke with Bowles and defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers. They both told him they planned to use him on the line of scrimmage much more.

“I kind of missed that the past couple of years,” he said. “I was there for the team. It feels good to be back in a natural position that you’re good at.”

Coples has a lot riding on this season, which could be his last with the Jets. If he doesn’t take a significant step forward, the team could cut him at no cost, and save the $7.8 million he is due on the final year of the fifth-year option in his rookie contract. The presence of impressive — yet raw — third-round pick Lorenzo Mauldin could make Coples expendable.

Coples, however, said he isn’t thinking that far down the line.

“I’ve just got to go out and do my job, be productive and help this team,” he said. “If I’m not helping the team win or getting to our goal, which is the Super Bowl, I’m defeating the purpose of everything.

“I understand the business side. If that day comes [when the Jets don’t bring him back], you make the adjustments.”

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

They had a segment on him on SNY's "Jets Nation." He said he was aware of the criticism of expectations, but insists he isn't being asked to produce QB sacks every play. Feels he is being productive in his role and doesn't care about the stats as long as he is helping the team win. (All the right answers.) On the other hand, all the program panelists (Lucas, Westhoff, Coleman) thought he should be a hands in the dirt DE.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Colon wasn't impressed with the 17 penalties.

"Just 17? For the WHOLE team? Shit, I'd get that all by myself"

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Coples has been on my hi draft choice bubble now since the end of the 2013 season :mad:

7. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Coples stinks. (period)

Jets69 likes this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah... we have been.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Obviously he's not someone you want covering people but I think he can be an impact player if used correctly. He tends to be disruptive in the backfield when allowed to play downhill and he hits hard.

This was a fun play, granted a bit fluke-ish.
    [​IMG]

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

thanks Rex Ryan. When everyone else in the league knew this, Rex Ryan at his pro day says "hey Coples, line up at OLB for us..."

its not only a waste to line him up there as his skills are better suited elsewhere... its a damaging waste because he's very weak in coverage. Trade him or put him on the line with his hand in the dirt. the experiment is over

tomdeb likes this.
  11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

This play is probably the highlight of his career. (of course, raiders recover)

12. abyzmul

Reminds me of the Eric Smith Experiment. Smith was a safety with the skillset of a slow inside linebacker and Rex stubbornly left him in coverage while blitzing 7, and of course the guy would get mercilessly torched every time. Getting cute for cute's sake loses games.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If Bowles is going to play a shitload of nickel like he did in Arizona he could be a good DE for us, especially if paired with Mauldin coming off the other side.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Eric Smith reminded him of Ed Reed.

abyzmul likes this.
  15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

and yet the new regime picked up his fifth year option, and line him up in the same exact place.

it wasn't a good draft pick, but now that he's here, OLB is still the best spot for him.
    are you going to bench Wilk, Rich or Williams to allow Coples to play 5 tech (which he isn't that good at)? of course not.

he'll continue playing a rush LB role, subpackages being his best spot, often with that hand in dirt, with contain responsibilities on the run, and only seldomly dropped into coverage.

after the year is over tho, i doubt we'll retain him at almost 8M per.

16. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

they should go 4-3 as the base

DE - Wilk, DT - Williams, DT- Richardson, DE - Coples

Snacks rotating in

That's a scary pass rushing 4 man front with the ability to stack it vs. the run

Shit go 5-2 even...picture that front coming at an opposing offense... QB's would be running for their lives and good luck running the ball

Coples, Richardson, Snacks, Williams, Wilk
    Harris, Davis
    Revis, Cro (until he gets benched for Skrine), Gilchrist, Pryor

tomdeb likes this.
  17. abyzmul

I don't see Quinton Coples as being important enough to change the entire base defensive front just to find a job he's good at. Not to mention, Wilk just doesn't have the first step to be an effective edge rusher other than for situational purposes. He's far better at inside gap assignments.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Slide Wilk into DT and put Mauldin at DE and now we're talking.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

With this lineup, the Jets don't have anyone with any speed on the outside to rush the passer. On passing downs, I would like to see a set-up like this:

Williams (DE) - Wilk (DT) - Sheldon (DT) - Mauldin or Babin (DE).

The best part of the 4 man front is it's all interchangeable in terms of Williams, Wilk and Sheldon. Jets need to take advantage of that.

We've seen Wilkerson have success lining up as a 4-3 RE, same with Richardson and Williams. Coples would need to come off the bench. As well as Snacks.

20. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

This guy is a bit better than Vernon ghoulston. With that said, if we took him 6th overall instead of 16th. We would all be more disappointed. I think for where we took him in the draft he is disappointing. But the Jets M.O. for the life of me is always drafting guys out of position and try to make them fit.