Copa America Field(Metlife)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Burnz, Jul 9, 2024.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You are cool Jeto. Selfishly I want Jets to stay in Jersey. My house is 3 minutes from Florham Park facility. Metlife is only 30 minute drive. I know Jets belong to Queens/Staten Island and I won't oppose to it if it happens. Trying to make your blood boil a little. :)

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And it will be more of that in the new stadium too. In fact, I would expect it to be a lot more than now because the owner would have to invest 3-4 bil or so extra vs current situation. Guess who will ultimately have to foot that bill? Parking pass is just one way to collect that tax. I am not sure why you and others think that if the owner has to invest billions more and move to a much more expensive city, somehow the fans will get more bang for the buck. It's precisely the opposite.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Business ethics, the biggest oxymoron ever.

My most major point is the Jets got stuck in NJ because they crapped on the idea of going back to Queens in the first place and shot for Manhattan, which was doomed to fail for a variety of reasons.

I'll say it again. L. Jay Cross thought he was smarter than everybody else and started talking to officials in Queens AFTER WSS fell through, which pretty much got him shot in the face in the end, sans him making millions at Hudson Yards, anyway.

Every year that goes by cost things cost more money, no kidding. The parking pass is bs because people are forced to pay more for a pass than a ticket at times. Who profits from that? The Johnsons, who get a ridiculous percentage from every seller out there, including NFL Ticket Exchage a/k/a Ticketmaster.

You're not seeing the forest for the trees.

Ralebird likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Maybe you are right and I am missing the forest, because I am not really following your point. On one hand you are bringing up how Johnson wants to profit, yet on the other seemingly unable to see why Johnson is in NJ (he saved literally a billion, which increases his bottom line, i.e. profits) and why it makes sense to stay in NJ (building in Queens vs current situation is a few more billion of expense).

I am merely proposing to spend 100 mil on a roof plus grass and maintenance to improve player and fan experience, and even that I don't think the guy is willing to shell out, this is more of wishful thinking. What makes you think spending billions on a new stadium in Queens is a more realistic proposition? And purely hypothetically if he does do it, don't you think ultimately it's the fans who will have to pay more to cover this cost?

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with you on Woody here. The fact that the franchise is worth a lot of money is actually great incentive to sell.

He doesn’t have too many years left, why not cash in on that investment before it’s too late. Its not like he has kids that he really cares about to hand it off too

6. BrowningNagle

And you believe that 78K average?

the new standard is mid 60s, the day of 80K + stadiums are over

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe that's the number of tickets sold, which is all that matters for profit, not how many actually show up: https://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance
    Next time go to TM site on the day of the game, right before, and check how many tickets are available without resale.

But even if it is 65K, the point still stands: too big to change the soccer project now, will take years, and likely will not be approved.

8. jetophile

Correction: The Jets are currently worth $3.2 - $4.05 billion. Reportage varies, but that was a seriously old stat, my major bad.

Woody has two sons with his second wife.

[​IMG]

Their oldest at the draft in 2021, Robert Wood Johnson V, nicknamed Brick after D'Brickashaw Ferguson. The Johnsons aren't going anywhere, lol.

[​IMG]

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

PSLs have nothing to do with the quality of the playing surface and taxpayers may very well have a different viewpoint than fans. The Jets and Giants have taken a couple of runs at using real grass and it hasn't worked - why should it be different now, the layout of the stadium hasn't changed? The article here NFL field surface intel: Grass vs. turf, owners, problems - ESPN showing each stadium's experience doesn't encourage mandating real grass, especially since there has never been a conclusive study of the situation. Who even knows how the new field last season at MetLife affected playability and injuries? Talking about problems with the previous turf there is meaningless - it's gone.

10. Ralebird

Does he need the cash?

11. Ralebird

But empty seats don't buy 14 dollar beers.

12. Ralebird

Your "corrected" numbers are quite old - Statista and Forbes both value the Jets at $6.1 billion.

Yeah, Woody is a lucky bastard although a few morons have actually lost money owning a major sports franchise in the US. I met a guy who went bust on both NBA and NHL teams; he was destroying a landmark neighborhood restaurant at the time.

13. jetophile

So I'm still THAT far behind, anyway?! Hahaha.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Idunno what you’re talking about. I’m saying they used PSL’s to finance the current stadium rather than hit the tax payer. I imagine if another stadium is built they’re going straight to the tax payer.

As far as playing surface goes you alluded to it not being able to be done in the northeast yet it’s done in places with similar or worse climate and weather.

You just left turned both those points to make it about what you wanted, not about what you said which I responded to.

15. BrowningNagle

damn you are right

16. BrowningNagle

100%
    Look at the bullshit in Buffalo… errr Orchard Park.. that we are all paying for.

the guy is a billionaire oilman and we taxpayers are still paying for HIS stadium to be built

17. jetophile

Part of the WSS fail was James Dolan. "F this, it will cripple my business at MSG wah wah wah my business this can't happen because my business, my business, wah wah wah." It was never going to happen, anyway, but like I said, there is more to it than Sheldon Silver, Joseph Bruno, and Cuomo.

Part of of why it was shelved was some bs that it would hurt downtown development in the financial district. Mayor Bloomberg was also pissed because the failure to pass doomed any bid for the 2012 Olympics. Whatever. The whole thing makes me tired.

It's interesting to note that The New Dump cost $1.6 billion. It wasn't publicly funded. The new Bills Stadium will cost close the same thing, which will be publicly funded. I'm not really sure why something that was built 15 years ago is coming in so close to what's going up now. Location has something to do with it, I guess; but for real?

The Bills will be doing PSLs to bridge the cost gap after funding, but New Yorkers are still paying for it. I think they managed to come up with $850 million, something like that. No retractable roof, but 65% coverage in the elements works, hey? It will seat 60,0000.

I love pirating Rangers games off of MSG Network most of all, btw. Suck it, Dolan.

18. BrowningNagle

the Bills stadium is already over budget so the final cost will likely be significantly more than the promised price

PSLs will be a disaster in that market

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Agreed that there is really no proof turf causes more injury than grass, but the fact is 92% of players prefer it; https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/nflpa-head-says-92-percent-of-players-prefer-playing-on-grass. So, whether there is a benefit or not, the grass would make the Jets more attractive place for vast majority of NFL players.

Which is why you see this right at the start of your own article: "The Bills are building a new Highmark Stadium across the street from the current one that will have natural grass." Our divisional rivals with even harsher climate are about to get advantage. It would be smart for the Jets to keep up.

Point conceded. Still, if you are top 3 in NFL ticket sales at 78K in average, it probably doesn't make sense to downsize to 65K max even if not all 78K show up all the time after buying a ticket.

20. Ralebird

You can imagine whatever you want - it doesn't change what I wrote or have anything to do with it - "Why should any fan care how much it costs to build a new stadium solely for the jets? Stadiums are not built with fan money (except in Green Bay)." You're the one who brought PSLs and taxpayers into the conversation. The source of financing does not alter the process of photosynthesis.