Contracts of Rookie UDFAs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, May 20, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0200520-r7ajjndscjborgme5yclpfmvaa-story.html

It's a Manish Mehta article, so take it with a grain of salt, but there were a couple of interesting things in the article (if true).

The most interesting thing in the article is this:

I don't recall this ever being mentioned/discussed on here. Has anyone seen confirmation anywhere else?
    I thought the one-year contracts were due one or more factors: Douglas not wanting to commit long term or big money to FAs; FAs not wanting to sign long term hoping to cash in next year; limited cap space. I hope that Mehta was wrong about the Johnsons putting financial constraints on Douglas. If true, that won't have made Douglas very happy and could sour the relationship. It's not the right way to start his first offseason.

The second most interesting imo is related:

Is this a result of the Johnsons losing money? Is it because of all the big, stupid contracts that Mac handed out? Is it because they don't trust Douglas? Hopefully, this doesn't mean that they're going to start getting cheap.

I also found it interesting the amounts of the contract that each UDFA agreed to. I read somewhere else (24/7 Sports maybe) several weeks ago, that Jared Hilbers was the Jets' highest paid UDFA, but now Mehta says it is Huff. I'd rather it be Huff because we need him to develop into a pass rushing terror.

Noam and K'OB like this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

UNC-Pembroke DL Domenique Davis: Total investment: $650

Poor bastard could hardly even celebrate with a meal and a new outfit with that signing bonus :eek:

blackssmagic, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I remember when he reported the “cash flow restrictions”

I would surely chalk it up to COVID-19 concerns.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  4. Dont forget they still have Bowles/Mac on the books to go along w the recent contracts for Gase,Douglas & the new coaching staff where they dissed out decent dough.

W. All covid represents it makes sense to be alittle conservative w the cash flow.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It could simply be that they had reserved that money for some other UDFAs they were trying to sign who ended up signing elsewhere.