Conklin plans on signing with the Jets (Signs with Browns)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They tagged Henry already.

dawinner127 likes this.
  2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

no sweat.....we really should focus on the interior line and let the draft supply our tackle.

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

O.K Good.

4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Reports are the Browns really want him and with Thuney tagged, I am just getting ready for the disappointment at 12.

5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

If anything it will be Conklin or Thuney. Between all of their in house FAs and other needs the Jets will not have enough cap room for both of the above. I would be happy with just one of them .....start from there. Sign a couple of lower tier linemen for depth and draft two high.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Glasgow and/or Vaitai would be one heck of a consolation prize.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

There is no shot the Jets trade the Pats a pick for Thuney.

Conklin. Cooper.

OT at 11.

Vachiano says Glasgow + Conklin a big possibility for NYJ

mrjet80 likes this.
  8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Ahh ok did not see Thuney was tagged. Ok. Conklin it is .....hopefully.

dawinner127 likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I hope it's true. I think the idea of paying a RT $15-$19 million is insane.

10. NCJetsfan

No way on Cooper. He's too inconsistent and disappears at times.

11. dawinner127

Then lets lose Robby and do what we did for Mark and remove all the weapons. That worked out well.

12. NCJetsfan

I'm hoping the Jets sign Glasgow, another starting OL (perhaps Vaitai or someone at his level), and an OL who will be better depth. Glasgow can start at OG or C. If they get a C in the draft, great, then Glasgow can play OG. If not, he plays C and Lewis, Peat or some other reasonably-priced player can play the other OG spot (I hope that Winters is released). Vaitai can play OT or OG. Flexibility and players who will play as a unit are more important than star power.

13. NCJetsfan

IMO you're not being realistic about the cap and FA $s. You're thinking with your little head and not your big head that sits on your shoulders. I'm disappointed that you are taking the same path that some others do here of everything being black and white. It's either great/right or awful/wrong. There is middle ground. This is a strong, deep, WR draft. The Jets could sign Breshard Perriman to take Anderson's place, and then draft two WRs. Douglas is supposed to be an astute talent evaluator. He didn't work for Ozzie Newsome for 15 years for nothing or learn nothing from Ozzie. Ozzie mostly looked for value in FA, looked for underrated/undervalued players who could outperform their contract, not big name, big contract players who couldn't play up to their contract.

14. dawinner127

Perriman is trash. The fact that people think this guy can come close to Robbys production is blasphemy. The dude had 350 of his 645 in the final 3 weeks of the season when Evans went out. I'm also pretty sure Godwin missed time in those three games as well. He had 4 TDs of his 6 in the final 3 games as well. He's been in the league for 4 years and has 90 career catches. 350 of his career total 1500 yards came in 3 games. Yeah, NO THANK YOU!! You are totally overrating Perriman if you think he can come and help this team.

We've seen this song and dance before. Let's not ruin 14 by being ignorant and ignoring the offensive side of the ball. Go get elite talent and fill in the rest with draft picks.

15. NCJetsfan

I'm not saying Perriman is great, but he's a deep threat that other teams will have to pay attention to. I expect that Robby's production will be replaced by the rookie or rookie WRs we draft. Periman will contribute. It doesn't have to be Perriman, either. Initially, I agree with you about Perriman, but after reading up on him a little, he sounds more reasonable. I'm still not saying I want him on the Jets.

The WR that Douglas signs to replace Anderson could be Phillip Dorsett. I've also seen another WR mentioned as someone that the Jets could be interested in. His name escapes me at the moment, but he's young, fast, and supposedly underrated. If we can sign Robby to a reasonable deal $10-$12 million per season, great. I'm all for retaining him, but I'm not willing to see the Jets overpay him a huge amount and then not be able to retain Poole or Jenkins, or be unable to sign OL help in FA.

I'm not gonna buy into panic buying. If Mac were still the GM, then yeah, I'd say we need to grossly overpay to get talent in here. He isn't. Until Douglas proves he isn't worthy of my trust and respect, I trust him to sign players that many, if not most of us would have never thought of signing and they become productive players for us and great value.

It's laughable to imply that I'm going to be ignorant and ignore the offense. I've been saying that I think the entire draft should go to the offense and that edge should wait until next year's draft, and that we should sign a CB or two in FA, so all of our draft picks can go to the OL. I've also been open to taking Jeudy or Lamb at #11 to give Sam better weapons around him when almost everyone else here is aghast at the idea of not taking at OT at #11.

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

Dude. He's a former All-Pro, one hell of a tackle and immediately becomes the best offensive lineman on the Jets; regardless of position. And he's still young. We had one of the worst offensive lines within NFL history last year and you want to complain that he's a "RT" lol. Did you watch the games last year or did you just look @ box scores? Jack Conklin instantly becomes our best O-Lineman to BUILD AROUND moving forward. And he's better than any guard on the FA market right now he's the best available O-Lineman available.

17. NCJetsfan

Yada Yada Yada. You're not telling me anything I know. You're the typical young fan who thinks with his dick rather than his brain. Saying that Conklin instantly becomes our best OL really isn't saying anything. The Jets can sign Glasgow and he'd immediately be our best OL. They don't have to sign one of the best RTs in the NFL to upgrade their RT position or to upgrade their OL. The Jets have a lot of holes and spending $15-$19 million for one player in FA is insane. They need numerous new starters on the OL, not just one.

18. DefenseWinsChampionships

Conklin is way better than Glasgow; not even a comparison.

Sign Conklin as our big name FA and draft O-Line with our 2nd round pick and our 1st 3rd round pick and we're on track to a really solid O-Line.

19. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I disagree. Glasgow can play 3 positions on the line. He only gave of 1 sack the past 2 years. Conklin can only play 1 position and gave up a lot more. Glasgow needs to be our top target. But that said both would be nice.

20. NCJetsfan

You just don't get it. Yes, Conklin is better or higher-rated than Glasgow, but that doesn't matter. You don't need "stars" or a top 5 player at a position on the OL. You need players who fit the scheme, who have talent, work well together, and can develop chemistry. Glasgow has given up fewer sacks and has more position versatility. He'll be a lot cheaper to boot and will enable the Jets to sign another FA OL or two, or a CB or Edge rusher, whereas Conklin would have taken up most of their available money to spend on FAs and would have only fixed one spot on the OL. We need to get at least 2, if not 3 OL starters out of FA, and at least one out of the draft (hopefully two), and upgrade depth.