Congrats to the 68 NYJs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Jan 12, 2008.

1. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

What does that make Clemens? Roseanne Barr?

2. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

And I hope they put every regular poster on Ganggreen member in it. The pain in our eyes would win them and EMMY!

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sorry 4th IMHO most on the board are only interested in a "winning" team NOT a SB caliber team otherwise they would not be posting what they post. I'm sure you know whom I speak about

4. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I still remember watching that game. I was actually sick that day, and watched the game in my pajamas. My dad, uncle, and a few cousins were there. Man did we go nuts. Joe Willie went from legend to god that day. Len Dawson tells the story of being up in the press box, and when Snell scored the TD, he jumped up and yelled to all the press guys there "Welcome to the f***ing AFL!" 40 years of frustration has followed, and I'm begining to believe that I will not see another Jets championship in my lifetime. Such prolonged ineptness is almost surreal. What did the Rangers go, 54 years? I really think we are going to eclipse that.

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That's a ridiculous statement. We all want the same thing, we just have different ideas about how to get there. Some of us are better able to enjoy the ride, that's all.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sorry fellow there is ONLY one ride get talented players with ability otherwise we will just continue to be on the same merry go round from year to year. Also if the shoe fits then wear it I am sure you are aware of that adage. To me your post is just an excuse or an alibi to why we are LOSERs year after year & fits the catagory of my post to a T

7. Italian Seafood

No, it's a statement that represents what the franchise has been since I've been watching them. I'll give you an example, champ, I'm also a New Jersey Devils fan. Now that they have won three Stanley Cups since 1995, that is the standard. So as a Devils fan I'm only happy when they win the Cup because that is the standard the team has set for itself. In 2001 they lost Game 7 of the finals and there was no solace in coming so close.

Point being, the team sets the bar for itself and the fans react accordingly. I'm the exact same fan that roots for the Devils as roots for the Jets. The Jets have given us so little that a normal fan can appreciate what little hope and chances we've been given all this time. So when someone has given us a shot or gotten us close, we can certainly appreciate that and distinguish it from the people who have come through this organization and failed to even give us a shot. Of course we want to all win a Super Bowl, but the fans don't determine that, the team does.

8. FOURTHANDLONG

Your right about that. Another first round playoff loss next year would be a successful season to most on this board.

9. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

One thing about the Sper Bowl III Jets, in addtion to having very good, to great, backfield support on both sides of the ball; the offensive and defensive lines were fantastic. Until we have dominant lines on both sides of the ball; don't start thinking Super Bowl for the Jets.

I think the NFL should have a Toilet Bowl game where the 2 worst teams in the NFL fight it out for the number one pick in the draft - winner gets the pick; right now, we are closer to winning this game than we are to winning a Super Bowl.

10. Italian Seafood

It would be better than 4-12, no?

11. FOURTHANDLONG

Not if we get a swiss cheese schedule like we had in 2006 make the playoffs and end up right back where we are now in 2009 arguing if Chad is the answer at 32. Not if we draft and sign players like we did this year under the misguided notion that we are super bowl ready. I would rather be 8-8 with Clemens making progress as opposed to 10-6 in the playoffs with Chad or a Journeyman with no chance to make the Super Bowl. I will take a step back for the next two years for a chance to legitimately win the Sb in 2009-2010. I don't want to be one of those teams that makes the playoffs without the horses to win the big one. We are in the Afc not Nfc you can't be it it to win it you have to have the talent to beat the Pats and we are as far off as the Dolphins. I would rather lose now and build a team that can win in the future.

12. Italian Seafood

That says it all, putting your individual agenda ahead of the good of the team.

I want the best record for the Jets every year, regardless of who is playing what position. The NFL goes year to year now, losing one year doesn't mean you're going to be any better the next. A lot of you people mistake losing with young players for "progress". Losing is losing and losing sucks. Get me in the playoffs and give me at least a chance to get hot and make a run like the Giants are doing. We're on the outside looking in right now and it sucks. Get me in and give me a chance. You ultimately win in the playoffs by being an experienced playoff team, not by going 4-12 or 8-8 with young players. Going 8-8 and missing the playoffs is having no chance at a Super Bowl, getting in is by definition giving yourself a chance.

13. FOURTHANDLONG

The Browns and Texans are better off than the Redskins or Buccaneers going into next year and both of those teams made the playoffs. Their is no upside to those teams other than another one and done playoff loss. Progress means you make progress every year until you have a team that can take the big boys. Making the playoffs and having a realistic chance to win are two different things. In the Afc the Giants don't even smell the playoffs so that is a bad example. Im not one that subscribes to the theory get there and hope for a miracle. You have yet to face the reality that we play in a time of Greatness in the Afc and you have to be prepared and good not Lucky to win it. The Steelers are coming of a Sb 2 years ago and have experience and they got smacked by an up and coming team in Jacksonville who has progressed every year and now their Qb will be ready to take the next step next time around in 2009! McFadden or a Difference maker on D is better for our team in the long run as opposed to being in the playoffs with this sorry bunch. The problem is you don't have the patience to build a winning program and that is why the Jets have been losers since 69! In the Nfl of 2008 that give me a chance Hoosiers mentality does not work! You have to be good and prepared to beat the champ and that does not come overnight!

14. Italian Seafood

Of course you want to try and build a winning team, but it doesn't take years. Parcells did it in two years. Making the playoffs is a logical step towards winning the Super Bowl, even if you don't win it. We just went 4-12, for you to say you want another bad season instead of a good one because that's "progress" is assinine. It's not about the fans having patience, I'm going to be there no matter who is playing and what the record is, but the good players will leave if we become a constant loser as we were in the mid 90s.

15. FOURTHANDLONG

Parcells is on another level so please leave him out of the conversation. Him and Beli are the best that have ever done it. Hoping and praying that any half a** jets team that gets in the playoffs can get to the superbowl is assinine! Being glad to be mediocre instead of great with a just get to the playoff Mentality is assinine! Relying on a 30 year old Qb coming off two shoulder injuries to get you to the Sb in the Brady era is assinine! If a team is built properly from the ground up in two to three years good players will want to come to your program. We went to the playoffs in 2006 and no good players were beating themselves up to become Jets! We get used by agents to pump up their players contracts with other teams. Who wants to deal with the NYJ fan win now mentality. I said I want another season where we make progress not suck! Sucking and progress are two different things. 8-8 with Clemens coming around and looking good at the end of next year is better than another 1 and done playoff season. You would rather stay mediocre forever and say you got to the playoffs as opposed to gut this mess and build it back from the ground up the right way just to say we made the playoffs. The first step of a winning franchise is not to accept anything less than a team ready to win a championship every year!

16. Italian Seafood

Now you're telling me what I want, that's great. Everyone wants to win the Super Bowl, that's a given. You can't do that unless you go to the playoffs first, genius. Eleven of the 12 teams that go to the playoffs end up losing and don't win the Super Bowl, that's the way it works. Should the Colts now "rebuild"? By your logic the Bengals are in better shape and on the right track though. After all, they have a big-armed young QB and they too missed the playoffs. So that's "progress", right?

The plan isn't and never has been to go the the first round and lose. Sometimes it works out that way. You're always trying to win it all, that's what we were trying to do last year. The reality of New England in our division makes it harder to do, but you still have to try to go and take your shot. If you're building a champion you should at least be able to make the playoffs along the way. You think we build this great team secretly in the basement and one day just show up in the Super Bowl? I've got news for you, the next 5-10 years we're going to have Brady in our division, which means we're probably going to have to go in as a Wild Card more often than not. That's life. Either write off the next 5-10 years or you put the best team out there that you can and go for it. Every year.

17. FOURTHANDLONG

The Pats, Colts and Chargers have a legitimate chance to win every year. They have SB ready teams with good foundations and with minor tweaking will be in the mix for the next five years. You want to hope for a miracle instead of build a team that can take them out! The Next 5-10 years we will have brady to Moss, Rivers to LT and Peyton Manning to whoever and you want to send Pennington into battle against that! I want to take my shot at New England when we are prepared to kick their a**!. Not as a first round sacrificial Lamb! I want to build a team where New England ends up being the Wild card and not us! conceding second place every year is the kind of MEDIOCRE please let is make the playoff thinking that has destroyed this franchise for 39 years! I want Brady to be scared of our Defense and Beli have to stay up nights worrying about our Qb when they play us! With Progress we will make the playoffs along the way. You would rather put patches on the lines and defense and make the playoffs to get stomped! I rather put this year into drafting and fixing both lines then adding the side pieces next F/A and draft period. At the end of the day the difference between us and the Sb loser is we get a shot at better draft picks! With your thinking we will be sitting here two years from now having the same conversation and Parcells will have the Dolphins ready to compete because they rebuilt that mess from the ground up!

18. Italian Seafood

Now you're contradicting yourself. The Chargers were one and done (including the year we beat them in San Diego with Chad) every year up until now. So by your logic they should have torn it down and rebuilt, but they didn't, they kept coming back to try to make the playoffs and take their shot, which they are doing. Had they said "oooh, we have to play the Colts and Patriots, they're better" and opted to do it your way, they'd not be playing this week.

And you're also trying to turn this back into a Pennington argument. I don't care who plays, but I'll take 10-6 over 8-8 any day of the week. Any Jet fan would who has half a brain in his head, which doesn't seem to include you.

19. FOURTHANDLONG

Once again, They had LT, The Eli draft picks and they have been progressing ever since. Not aging veterans and Sad free agent pickups like we had. That team was built through some great drafts! You saying OHH we have to play the Patriots by conceding the division every year saying we have to go in as a wild card. I want to beat their a**es so what are you saying! If you can see the difference between a young Charger, Colt team with upside and an aging Veteran Jet team with nothing to look forward to then you really do have green colored glasses! We have maybe ten players on the team that are keepers!

20. Italian Seafood

You are the one obsessed with them, I'm just giving you the reality of the playoff scenario and how it works. I'm saying take our shot at them every year, you want to crawl into a hole for 2-3 years and somehow magically re-appear as a dominant Super Bowl team. Good luck with all of that.