Confidence level post draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jedi mind tricks, Apr 28, 2024.

?

How has the draft affected your outlook for next season?

1. More confident

26 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Less confident

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. No change

36 vote(s)
    55.4%
  1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I am in show me mode. I don't care how good this team looks on paper. Show me the wins starting in September. I have had too many Charlie Brown trying to kick the football from Lucy moments with this team.

2. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I think we’ve had a good offseason. But we all know what that means. It means poop. I’m one of the jaded oldsters and the off-season hasn’t moved the needle for me, I’ll need to see them play and win some games before I expect anything more than another 7-10 season.

3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I am also one of the older fans. I go back to the Shea days. I like what they did this offseason but as you know this team has to prove it on the field. Hopefully Rodgers can stay healthy. 40 going on 41 coming off a serious injury I wouldn't be surprised if he misses some time. Thankfully Tyrod Taylor is a decent backup who can help them win games if he has to play. We shall see starting in September.

NCJetsfan and sozopol like this.
  4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I don't see any of the rookies making much immediate impact aside from Allen giving Breece a breather on occassion, so atm I don't see how the class really affects the season outcome much barring injuries (which would probably just derail the season again anyway...).... but hopefully I'm wrong and Corley's shake-n-bake adds an immediate element to the offense. It's just hard to expect much from rookie WRs, especially drafted that late,

sozopol likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

and

I'm right with you guys. I'm quite literally a graybeard. I've been a fan since they drafted Namath. I want to see wins, but I also want to see the offense look like a 21st century NFL offense. With the talent we now have on offense, this offense should make some serious noise, blow out a team or two, and it shouldn't just be the D winning games.

#45 NCJetsfan, Apr 30, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
  6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

That is what the plan will be - swing tackle for 2024. However, I think there is a much better chance Moses makes it through the season relatively healthy compared to Smith. I believe we will see Fashanu at LT for several stretches this coming season....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I think Fashanu, Corley, Allen and even Stiggers and Travis will all contribute this coming year. Particularly the first three. I don't see Smith staying healthy all season. Corley and Allen will both see the ball and I can see Travis being used as a gadget option this season kind of like how they used Brad Smith back in the day....we also know Tyrod is kind of injury prone.

WW85, NCJetsfan and stinkyB like this.
  8. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

We are not a better team with Odunze or not. I don't think we are ONE player away from super bowl or bust mode.

Tyrone Smith is injury prone. We have a chance to draft his backup, not throw him in the fire, and addresses a position of need. No moving Fashanu around either. If they feel he can play RT, I guess lets do that. But between Moses, Carter Warren, and Mitchell, who have been here now for 3+ years, they should have right side locked down.

We addressed a major position at a premium pick. Not sexy like a WR but look at the Benagls, nobody can block for Burrow, and eventually you need to draft a young LT.

Lets hope JD actually knows what he's doing with the OL though and a young LT (cough Becton).

ColoradoContrails, stinkyB and Jets79 like this.
  9. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

The totally dumbed down "us improving in this area obviously equals more wins!" math that basically refuses to tie that surrounding reality setting into the current 2024 "GFIN!" outlook doesn't get nearly the amount of consideration focus it deserves. Not being fun to hear doesn't make it any less true.

We are in for some really rough competitive sledding to make that 7 team AFC cut even with an arguably easier schedule that sees more games vs the carebear AFC South (which we'd probably win imo if we were lucky enough to play out of it. but alas).

At the start of the offseason i was at an "everybody in that playoff picture expects to be better in 2024" 7 wins. Post-draft I'm cautiously at a "more fun to watch/follow but still likely to play odd man out" 8-9 wins with the Hackett Handicap you can't rationally ignore after seeing it in-house last season.

10. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

ILL BELIEVE IT, WHEN I SEE IT....

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If you remember, the Jets were placed by most sources in about the same position last year, maybe even seventh. Woo hoo?

12. Ralebird

Two "ifs" and three "shoulds" in the first sentence of explanation alone don't send a great message. See the opening sentence.

Jets79 likes this.
  13. Ralebird

Some of the guys who spend late April to early September giddily celebrating every year should chime in on that. They know who they are.

14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Travis broke his leg last November, he probably won't be 100 % till late in the year, he's basically a red shirt. Wouldn't it be amazing in a couple of years Travis turns out to be our OUTSTANDING starting QB? We could only hope!!

I agree, Smith won't make it thru the season. I think Saleh won't even practice him much, if at all. I love Corley, my favorite pick, watched him carve up OSU's defense at the Horseshoe. Western Kentucky's defense couldn't stop a nosebleed, they were terrible that day. Allen is going to be a force, and will help Breece from carrying the entire load.

I wish we got a backup Guard, there were a few that didn't even get drafted. Also, I would have liked another outside WR.

All this could be moot, I have zero confidence that Hackett will utilize these new additions properly.

#54 WW85, Apr 30, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    Brook!, NCJetsfan and Borat like this.
  15. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Believe it or not, Mel Kiper is the only draft grader I even modestly respect. Not for his grades or his expertise, but for his grading system. He’s the only guy that tries to do it mathematically. His grades are all based on the aggregate of his own values for each team’s draft picks, which means dick, but at least he pretends to have a measurable standard. Everyone else issues draft grades based on what they think each team needed and the warm feelies from each player that team picked. It’s like a big game of Pretend. Nothing based on nothing.

16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Same as pre-draft. If healthy this will be a very good to excellent team. If unhealthy, the wheels are falling off.

I say this about the Yankees all the time, you can't bring in guys who are often old or injured and then use injuries as an excuse when the season doesn't go well.

If Rodgers is healthy, I am confident the Jets will win double digit games. Having said that, I am not at all confident that this will be a healthy season for the team.

REVISion and abyzmul like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on. Which OGs did you like in the draft that would have been available to us in the 4th or 5th rounds or lower. I really liked Sedric Van Pran Granger. I was shocked that he fell to the 6 th round. Did the mediat have him grossly overrated or were there some character or health issues that they didn't know about? I also liked Christan Mahogany. He was strout at the Sr. Bowl and Ulbrich supposedly liked him.

WW85 likes this.
  18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I really liked Beaux Limmer, back up Guard /Center, would have been great insurance if Tipp gets hurt. Also, as you mentioned, Mahogany, I believe he had an off year, played better in 2022. Something about BC lineman I like. He will be at worst a solid backup.

I really wanted a WR in Rd 1, but in having OLU at LT that can step in this season and our next LT for 10 years is smart. Joe D did a great job, let's hope our coaching staff doesn't muck it up.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I really cannot bring myself to throw a like on this post although it pretty much sums up my thinking to a tee.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Is it better to be liked or respected....