Concrete Countertops?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by stinkyB, Mar 17, 2018.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Well so much for being done with rehabs. Sold the last house a few months back and bought a little mobile home to rehab until I figured out our next more. Well the mobile is done and made an offer on a condo. Just need a little bit of suggestion on what to do in one small area of the condo. @stinkyB @TommyJ

It has a small sunroom with single pane 6 ft tall windows facing west across the entire wall of the sunroom. There is no AC vent in there so the heat coming through is pretty significant. My first thought was insulated french doors with sidelites across the 96 inch opening to the room, to close it off from the heat, second thought was glass barn style doors like so. The barn doors would not be near as efficient in cutting down the heat coming through though.

[​IMG]

Both have been so overdone the last few years I was just looking to see if anyone has any suggestions on other solutions.
    To stop doing rehabs is not an acceptable solution though. I think I have an addiction.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

For starters put some kind of shade on that window (the 'paper" / fabric ) accordion would at least let some light through...... barn doors wont stop the heat that much, but fairly easy to install, and most likely cost less than the french doors.

3. The Waterboy

I started thinking about it and i was probably going to redo the windows at some point.
    May just go and do that 1st, double pane, low-E windows will take care of a good bit of the heat. Then i could put the barn doors in without worrying too much about the heat issue.

4. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Anyone doing any self home renovations lately? I finally took 4 days off to do our guest bathroom.
    Bought the house from my folks 14 years ago... slowly re-doing everything when I can. I’ve tiled everything but the bedrooms. Still have the 1987 blue carpet in those, have the wood to do it when I get time. House was badly used, so the carpet is still in good shape.

Took everything out but the tub, (maybe tile walk in)I’ll deal with that at another time. A lot of fun dealing with the numerous paint jobs my daughters did in their teen years when this was there bathroom. In addition to the fact that the walls weren’t sized before the builder put up wall paper . So it’s not all coming off. Going to have to smooth it the best I can. Freaking laminate floor came off easy, except for the adhesive an paper layer... so three hours with a steamer and floor scraper.
    [​IMG]

5. The Waterboy

Use that steamer on the wallpaper or what I did in one bathroom I redid I just used beadboard on the walls.

Currently on my 4th rehab in the last 4 years, this is the keeper though. I'll still do rehabs but small ones to flip, flipped the last few but also lived in them while doing much of the work which is a pain.

Current one I gutted the kitchen and hall bath to start, got those mostly done except for the flooring, trim and caulk. Just finishing up the floors now, left the carpet in the bedrooms since it was new when we bought a few months back but putting in luxury vinyl plank. Put this type floor in my last 3 and don't think I'll ever put a different floor in, just so easy to put down.

After I finish up the floor I need to put a french door between the living room and sunroom, Been a bitch finding a door and sidelights to fit the opening though, if it's big enough it won't fit in the elevator and if I buy it separate pieces the price almost doubles. The wife is not happy with my idea of buying it together and then taking doors off to bring up in elevator and then using a rope to pull the frame up to the 4th floor over the railing.

After that all that is left is the master bath which is going to get a composite enclosure, something like this.
    [​IMG]

6. typeOnegative13NY

That’s gonna look awesome.

I tried the steamer on the paper to no avail. Should have use the bead board . Think I might get away with, I used sone spackle and sanded, paint is covering well. Luckily it’s just one wall, the vanity, mirror and toilet will be there too.
    I’m going with the vinyl plank too. So easy. A straight edge and a carpet knife and that’s it. Put it in the master a couple of years ago in just a couple of hours.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

We remodeled kitchen, refinished floors, and now I’m replacing all the doors with prehung custom jamb( plaster walls) to 6 panel doors, all trim in the house is going from dark brown to white, one room at a time, bought a battery operated 18 gauge brad nailer, man what a time saver.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  8. typeOnegative13NY

I gotta invest in more power tools. I’m cutting all my trim with a miter box lol.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Oh man, I can’t waste anymore time with caveman tools. I’m not even a tool hog but my time is way too important to be hauling hose and compressors around the house.

typeOnegative13NY and FJF like this.
  10. The Waterboy

For my trim I have started just using straight cuts instead of mitre cuts, I use sguared off blocks in the corners similar to this. No pain in the ass making sure the mitre joints match up well. It has saved me a lot of time on trim over the last couple of houses. I think it looks good too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Red Menace

You don’t cope where you can? It does look good though.

12. The Waterboy

Nope, no more coping for me. My current place i left the baseboard in place so only need a small piece of trim at bottom of baseboard to cover the vinyl plank edge. Kitchen is getting squared trim since it will match the shaker cabinets.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. typeOnegative13NY

That does look good. Yeah, the mitre is a pain, that’s a good idea.

Putting in the vinyl floor now. Was having a tough time making tough rounded cuts to fit under door jams etc... found that an old pair of aviation snips I had laying around cuts that stuff like butter.

14. The Waterboy

Dremel works good for those cuts also. Had the end of a hallway with 2 bedroom doors and bathroom door pretty much right next to each other so the Dremel came in handy for those cuts

15. typeOnegative13NY

I bought the laminate to do in my bedrooms , but I convinced my wife that we sell the laminate and pad, and do the bedrooms in the same vinyl. Doing water damage restoration for so many years, I absolutely despise laminate. I like real wood a little better, but not much.

In the bathrooms I put the vinyl down right over the subfloor. If in bedrooms, would you put something underneath? To soften it up a bit? Or just lay it down? We plan on a large nice rug under the bed that will cover most of the room. I don’t usually like anything under that can hold water or moisture, unless it’s carpet/pad that can be pulled back and dried easily if need be.

16. The Waterboy

The vinyl i have been getting has attached pad/underlayment, the good thing is most are either cork or rubber so it won't hold moisture.

It also makes it a bit better on the knees walking on it over time. For me it's a plus since i am in a 4th floor condo so it lessens the noise for downstairs neighbor.

I concur on laminate, put in many laminate floors but never again.

Edit: Brand i got this time is MSI Rigid Core from Home Depot. Last time i got Nucore at Floor and Decor.

#96 The Waterboy, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  17. typeOnegative13NY

I’ll have to check that out. See if I can find something with a similar look, but with the underlayment. Probably be cold as hell in the winter laying right on the subfloor too.

18. The Waterboy

And the MSI Rigid Core is priced really good at $1.99 a sq ft, Nucore is still up around $2.49-$3.49 a sq ft. The attached underlayment also means you don't have the added labor of rolling out a separate underlayment and taping it together. Though with a separate underlayment you can choose which product whether you want better sound absorption, cushioning, etc.

Being in Florida I don't have to worry about the cold too much, when I had the vinyl in my last house with concrete subfloor it was cool when it got down to the 30's-40's but not cold. The underlayment will certainly help with the temp of the floor. The last house I pulled up carpet to put it down right on the subfloor but this time had tile everywhere so just put it right on top of the tile so I have an extra layer even if I don't need to worry about cold floors.