Computer running slow or need some cleaning? Follow these steps!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Green Dude, Feb 28, 2007.

1. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

Well I'm sitting here at work thinking about what to do and thought I would try to contribute something to my fellow posters. Do this even if your machine is running fine... I usually perform this process on a weekly basis and my computer is faster than jonnyd in a hotdog eating contest... so here ya go... hope I help out someone out there with any computer woes.

As of the last edit... I use everything exept for Ad-Aware Internet Security. There isn't much of a threat for spyware anymore and really didn't see the need to have it. If your computer is running slow and suspect some issues then I would recommend using it.

1st thing to do:

Download and run CCleaner:
    Run the "Cleaner" then "Issues" (registry cleaner), I usually don't back up the registry when prompted but you can if you want. This pretty much cleans up your machine to make the rest of the process run more efficient. Easily my most used program.

CCleaner Description & Download

2nd thing to do:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:
    Best free malware scanner out there for simple and quick removal of malware. You need to purchase this software to use its protection feature.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Description & Download

There are other software titles I use but cost "money" :rolleyes:

3rd thing to do:

Update and scan your computer with virus protection software. If you don't have one or your subscription has run out download and install Avira or AVG Free Edition (MAKE SURE YOU UNINSTALL ANY OTHER VIRUS PROTECTION SOFTWARE BEFORE INSTALLING Avira or AVG):

Update and scan your computer to remove any viruses that may be on your machine. Here are three that are all excellent but only CHOOSE ONE!. (Ordered in which I perfer)

1.) AVAST!:
    AVAST! Description & Download

2.) AVG:
    AVG Description & Download

3.) Avira:
    Avira Description & Download

4th thing to do:

DEFRAGMENT YOUR COMPUTER!! People never do this and it actually WORKS.

This is a great free Defrag software that is much quicker than doing it the old fashoned way:

Smart Defrag Description & Download

If you'd rather stick with what windows has to offer and not download any software here is the steps to do so... It takes longer and might miss a few things that the program above would get.

Go to Start---Programs---Accessories---System Tools---Disk Defragmenter and press the "Defragment" button. Depending on the speed of your computer and the size and "shape" of your hard drive this process should take between 30mins to an 1hr and 30mins.

Run it a second time, should take 1/4th of the time to run this time around. (first time ever running this is always going to take the longest depending on how long you went with out defragging)

OPTIONAL

Download and run Ad-Aware Free Internet Security:
    I haven't used this version of Ad-Aware yet, but knowing how their product worked in the past it will get the job done. Make sure you update the definitions before running the scan. For new machines you can skip this completely and just install Spywareblaster but if you would feel safer using it then install it.

Ad-Aware Description & Download

Download and run Spywareblaster:
    Easily one of the best programs I have ever used. This prevents any malware and spyware from being installed or put on your machine. Haven't had spyware since installing this program. You first want to update the software to get the latest definitions... then you want to "protect all"... this program is a condom in the PC world. Great to execute on brand new PC's.

Spywareblaster Description & Download
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

**EDIT**
    3/11/07 StatJeff mentioned a great program and added it to the list.
    1/22/08 wildthing found another AV if you dislike AVG.
    8/12/09 Links updated and added Smart Defrag & Firewall recommendation.
    8/12/09 StatJeff recommended malwarebytes
    2/9/11 Updated information.
    10/15/12 Moved ad aware and spywareblaster to optional - Spyware is pretty much phazed out and is picked up by the other 4 steps.

#1 The Green Dude, Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

thank you.

3. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

I actually do the first 5 on a weekly basis, too. What should I do about a firewall?

4. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

good stuff gd. Thanks.

5. The Green Dude

I just stick with the Windows firewall... but ZoneAlarm is quite good. ZoneAlarm

#5 The Green Dude, Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  6. JDZ25

JDZ25 New Member

Thanks for the tips.

I am definitely in that boat with my home computer. I will try these updates tonight.

Just curious though, is there a way to hide your IP address when you go online too?

7. 1028

1028 Active Member

Greendude, what do you think about Spy Sweeper and Trend Micro Antivirus 2007? Are those any good? I bought them and installed em, on my new computer. Spy Sweeper seems to be the better of the two... however, I've noticed that when I run Trend, in the midst of its whole sweeping thing, it finds something... but after the sweep is done, sometimes it says "nothing was found", as if it just lost what it had previous found. WTF?

Also, what about Norton? Is that any good? If it is, I might consider paying for that too.

EDIT: Also, thanks so much for taking the time to type that stuff up. It's awesome.

#7 1028, Feb 28, 2007
  8. The Green Dude

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

Read up on this... I use this as well.

9. The Green Dude

1028 if im not mistaken Spy Sweeper is a Anti-Spyware/Anti-Virus in one. And this program takes a huge chunk out of your system resources. Then having Trend running alongside it makes it an even bigger confusing mess.

Trend Micro is better, I would ditch Spy Sweeper all together and stick with Ad-Aware and Spywareblaster running with Trend Micro. The reason I think Trend is finding something then saying nothing is found is because Spy Sweeper is finding it first and quarantining it, and all Trend is doing is finding it within the Spy Sweeper's quarantine folder where it can't do a damn thing about it... and only Spy Sweeper has the rights to do so. You already spent the money on Trend so stick with that one until the subscription is over then switch to AVG. Norton is good too but why pay if you don't have to? Just try not to have more than one AV installed on your computer at the same time, they don't compromise one bit.

10. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I thought I heard the defragmenter on windows didn't work?

11. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

Awesome bs post. Thanks man.

12. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I am going to be installing Trend Micro this coming weekend. I've had Norton for years and it was fine until the last couple of years it seems to hog more and more resources. I had a friend in the IT world that suggested Trend Micro to me so I am giving that suite a chance this year.

13. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

One thing with FreeRamXP, you really should change the default settings to only free 20% of RAM instead of all available RAM when you install. Just left click the icon in the taskbar, then click on settings. Click on memory, then in the middle of the memory page, it has the options to either use AutoFree or try to free a % of mbs in a dropdown menu. Now when I changed it to 20%, it used a hell of a lot less space in my RAM; and when it frees space, it doesn't make everything appear to crash for a minute and freeze everything up the way AutoFree does.

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

No way. Windows defragger is not the best defragger, but it is FAR better than nothing at all.

I defrag at least twice a month, more often if I have installed/uninstalled a few programs in a shorter amount of time.

I don't run any spyware apps. Besides the popup blockers built into the Yahoo and Google toolbars, I don't worry about rogue software from websites. I don't do anything that would compromise me in terms of spyware. I do use AVG though, and have it running a full scan of my system every night.

Good post GD. Most people don't understand how easily they open their systems to crapware, and how much it affects them.

15. 1028

1028 Active Member

Ahh, okay. I guess that makes sense (I'm just running my mouth, I have no idea).

Also, up above, in your original post, you said that we should uninstall any anti-virus program before installing AVG? Why? Can I keep both of em and run em both? What's the danger in that? I mean, I did pay for one of em, after all.

16. The Green Dude

Just dont install AVG then... you should be fine. I threw AVG up there because its free and works just as good as any anti virus you have to pay for. I would although... uninstall Spy Sweeper.

17. 1028

1028 Active Member

Is there some kinda conflict with running both of 'em, though? Cause dude, I'm on my 3rd or 4th computer in as many years, and I'm sick of having to start over each time my computer crashes. I want this one to be a real citadel against that shit. So, can I install em both, or will it cause a conflict?

18. The Green Dude

http://www.download.com/Webroot-Spy-Sweeper/3641-8022_4-9446745.html

look at some of the reviews... they don't like each other too much man.

edit... there are 2 versions of spy sweeper.... one with anti virus and one without. Use the one without if you want both. I am sure Webroot will refund you the 10 dollars for the anti-spy ware version only.(not positive)

#18 The Green Dude, Feb 28, 2007
  19. The Green Dude

Another thing... if your into spending money (or happen to find out how to get it other ways) on software... Registry Mechanic is possibly the best damn program ever.

20. 1028

1028 Active Member

Are you... hinting at something? :breakdance:

EDIT: I think my Spy Sweeper comes without the virus component, cause at the main screen, there's a button asking me whether or not I want to subscribe to antivirus protection. Sweet! Now I can DL AVG too :beer: