Complete Review of all picks

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jetfan76, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Montana

Montana Member

B+

DE Quentin Coples (B+) - top ten value at 16, with the upside to be a dominant force on our line for the next 5+ years. Despite all the "boom or bust" comments from the media, with Coples ability against the run, the worst case scenario is that he is simply a valuable starter ala Bryan Thomas or Mike DeVito. Safe smart pick, with immense upside.

WR Stephen Hill (A=) - late first round value, at the cost of a mid round 2nd, 5th and 7th....dream pick in that he was the BPA and filled a glaring need. He fills the role of a burner who can stretch the field, while giving us red zone height, and can provide strong downfield blocking, that we've missed since Braylon left. Given his lack of experience with running an NFL calibre route tree, he may take a while to reach his full potential, but that potential is enormous, and he should at the very least provide strong value from day one, even if the overall productions isn't there.

LB Demario Davis (B) - solid 3rd round value. Provides strong depth an ILB with the potential to be a long term answer when Bart's cut next year. Should be able to platoon with Scott in 2012, while making an immediate impact on special teams.

S Josh Bush (B-) - not the best of value given where he was taken, but he's a smart player who provides fair coverage ability, particularly in dime packages and should compete for a backup safety role/compete to fill the hole left by Marquice Cole.

RB Terrance Ganaway (C+) - again not the best of value, but he could provide the kind of 'thump' we lack aside from Greene, on our RB depth chart, and he could provide decent value down the road as he develops.

T/G Robert T Griffin (C) - felt like a bit of a reach, and he'll be a project, but he has the size, girth, and passion for football that you want from a prospect. If he can clean up his technique he could be add some depth to our oline down the road.

S Antonio Allen (A+) - fantastic value, many boards had him as a 3rd or 4th round talent coming into the week, so to snag him this late was a coups....should compete from day one for a backup role in our secondary, and could develop into a starter one day.

WR Jordan White (B+) - another pick I loved the value of, even if many are down on him due to his speed/injuries. The guy flat out produces, and I could see him being a real solid possession receiver down the line, if injuries don't hamper his career. Will likely have to win a role on the PS year one though, if he can't beat out Patrick Turner for a role on the team.

Solid B+ draft imo, only because there aren't any stone cold lock picks in the first three rounds, although if two of our first three picks can reach their full potential, this draft would quickly be viewed as an A and one of the best we'd have in a years.

2. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

He fell because the safety position is changing. He's not a good cover guy and he lacks top end speed (he tested out as one of the slowest safties at the combine) his agility is also shaky and he takes poor routes.
    His best assets are against the run, but with the league going with so much 3 wide, and big fast TEs a lot of teams prefer cover safties often converted CBs.
    Also he played the spur at USC so he doesn't have as much experience playing like an NFL safety as other guys.

3. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

My mind is boggled

How do we not have Gerell Robinson on the roster ?

This team supposedly LOVED him at the senior bowl, and the guy went undrafted.

idk wtf is going there, but id really like him to come in as an UDFA

4. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

1 16 (16) Coples, Quinton DE- A+

I absolutely love this fucking pick, this guy was my #1 draft choice (I love the idea of Trent Richardson, but he was beyond unrealistic so I dont count that). The fact that he fell to us and we didnt have to trade up for him made me ecstatic. Im a little unsure of how we plan on using him, but Rex obviously love the guy so I have NO doubts.

2 11 (43) Hill, Stephen WR - A
    (From Seahawks)

Only thing keeping me from giving this an A+ is that there was some incredible talent available in the 5th. But I can hardly complain since imo we got one of the best wr prospects in the draft, and im sure this guy can become the playmaker we need.

3 14 (77) Davis, Demario OLB - C+

Not trading down and grabbing him disappoints me. But whatever, I think the guy can contribute, but hes also ultra small for our defense, and theres no way we can have two Maybins on the field at the time.

6 17 (187) Bush, Josh S - D
    (From Eagles through Colts)

Im sorry but I fucking hate this pick. We could of got a legit starting guard of the future here, and I don't see anything special with this guy. Worst pick we made this draft, I expect this guy to have to compete with UDFA just to make the team

6 32 (202) Ganaway, Terrance RB - B+
    (Compensatory selection)

Not a complete RB by any means, but I absolutely love him as a prospect, and have beating this drum for months. Exactly what this team needs, and we got very solid value. i saw this guy going as early as 3-4 after he showed excellent speed for his size, so this is a great pick.

6 33 (203) Griffin, Robert T. G - C-
    (Compensatory selection)

A draft littered with guards, and the best we could get was a guy who shoulda gone undrafted. Not happy with this pick

7 35 (242) Allen, Antonio SS A-
    (Compensatory selection)

Incredible value, fills a need, im happy with the move

7 37 (244) White, Jordan WR- B

I personally woulda preferred Gerell Robinson, but its impossible to complain about this move. this guy had an incredibly productive college career, so getting him here is solid value. Hopefully he can make something of himself

5. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Not that it matters. Three grades for each player. First grade is slot value. Second grade is risk factor (A being low risk, F being high risk), third is overall grade for the pick.

1 Coples, Quinton DE A+/C/B Good I would rank him an in the latter two categories but I have doubts about his "motor". I really like high motor guys on defense.

2 Hill, Stephen WR A+/B/A- For a guy who should have been gone he gets high marks, but a slight downgrade on the latter two grades because of the cost to trade up increases the risk slightly and decreases his overall value slightly.

3 Davis, Demario OLB C/B/A How does he get an A for an overall grade, I like the player. He gets a C on slot value because we slightly over drafted him but had to due to no 4th or 5th rounders. He gets an A because I really do like the pick.

6 Bush, Josh S A-/C+/B

6 Ganaway, Terrance RB B/C/B

6 Griffin, Robert T. G C/C/A An overall A because where he was picked there really aren't much higher expectations, he's a big guy but a project. Long shot, but hey Slauson made it!

7 Allen, Antonio SS A+/A/A+ I really like this pick, great value for the slot, low risk because even on a washout it's a 7th round pick and he has a pretty high upper end.

7 White, Jordan WR C/C/D A rather uninspired pick, I expect him to washout.

6. Jonky

Jonky Banned

Because he didn't play a real position in college. He played Rover which is a LB/S hybrid. If he pans out (and I was hoping we'd get him), he will replace Landry next year. This year he has to learn how to play safety. He has to learn how to turn and run in coverage, but for now he can blanket a TE. IMO a seventh round steal.

7. Jonky

Jonky Banned

Granted I may have selected others, but the only pick I truly question is Griffin. Can he be groomed to replace Moore? I hope so.

8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Rex knows exactly what he is doing: The Big Q is going to be a one man wrecking crew & Hill looks to me like he's a future star WR and fan favorite. Davis is going to be 110% all the time.

#28 AbdulSalam, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  9. BobLivius

BobLivius New Member

Welcome to the usual cesspool of negativity. Bovine Scatum rules the day. To many of you, nothing is worthwhile that the Jets do. On paper, this draft looks promising. Grades are useless at this point. Three years hence will tell the story. Then grade this draft.

10. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

We won't need 3 years this time. If Coples and Hill are going to be good they're going to be productive from day one. If they are...you can give it an A+ in a hurry. We already know Tebow is more productive than any 4th round pick has a right to be.

11. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Mel Kiper gave us a C+ perfect.

12. duncc5

duncc5 Member

1 16 (16) Coples, Quinton DE A+
    Will be an all-pro if he wants to be. who are we to say he doesn't, especially with big money on the line? Still can't believe he fell to 16. Had to take him over Ingram, etc.

2 11 (43) Hill, Stephen WR A+
    Still can't believe that he slid and it was US who moved up and grabbed him. Thank you, San Francisco (amongst others). Just really glad that Chaz is no longer our #2.

3 14 (77) Davis, Demario OLB B+
    This is the most polarizing pick, but if you noticed, it took about 10 seconds for the Jets to make this pick. Speed, tenacity, and strength. In Rex we trust. Could be a huge sleeper. Watch the guys tape and you'll see why Rex is so excited to coach him up.

6 17 (187) Bush, Josh S C
    Wasn't crazy about this pick at first but the guy has a lot of speed and versatility. There must be a good reason we took him over the other safeties.

6 32 (202) Ganaway, Terrance RB B-
    Good that we picked up another RB, but I liked a lot of the other ones on the board more. Probably means Powell is done. Reminds me a little of Jacobs: big, strong and fast, but doesn't use his body to his advantage all of the time.

6 33 (203) Griffin, Robert T. G C+
    Good to see we picked up a lineman. This guy is f-ing HUGE. Was expecting Long or Adams, but the FO clearly liked RG Tree's size and athleticism. Let's see if Tony can do his thing and mold this guy into a stud.

7 35 (242) Allen, Antonio SS A+
    Best pick of the draft, hands down. He might not work out, but why not give him a chance in round 7? Could contribute right away as a blitzing DB.

7 37 (244) White, Jordan WR B+
    Also a good pick IMO. Sure, slim chance we ever see this guy on the field, but he is the antithesis of Hill. He is not particularly gifted physically, but overachieved like crazy and set a ton of records at a school that has produced some solid WRs (Greg Jennings). He's a football player, plain and simple, and at the very least he should contribute on ST.

Overall: B+/A-....... it's clear that Rex and Co are comfortable with Vlad/Wayne at RT, so anyone that is pissed that we passed on solid OLs in rounds 1-3 is not being reasonable. They pretty much said all along that we would not address this position until late in the draft. I think we found a great balance between value and need, I guess we'll see.

#32 duncc5, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  13. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Why does everyone hate the Bush pick? 1st of all, it was a 6th round pick. 2nd of all, the kid has good ball skills. He had like 6 picks last year. 5'11, 208 and ran a 4.5 40. none of that is great but it isn't terrible either.

I'm more confused by the Robert T Griffin pick. Sure he is huge but there were better O lineman available

14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Having listened to all the ESPN first draft podcasts in the run up to the draft its clear to me that Kiper is terrible - if it wasnt for the fact he practically started the whole draftnik thing there is no way he would still have a job as an analyst.

15. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I don't understand how people don't like the Demario Davis pick.... He is the same height as Bart Scott and only like 5lbs lighter but is a hell of a lot faster than Anyone in the front 7.. Think about it we got Gronkowski's answer right here with Davis..

16. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I think these gradings, specifically the published ones, are disingenuous. They should have to post their previous three years' post-draft grades so readers can see how wrong they have been.

If you're someone like Pete Pricko of CBSSports with a 15% accuracy rate (probably) in post-draft grading, what right do you have to keep assigning grades? If I was as wrong every year at something in my work, I wouldn't get to keep doing it.

17. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I dont know if I'll ever understand the Coples pick. I know we are trying to institute some kind of 3-4 / 4-3 hybrid defense, but I'm curious to know if this means less playing time for Mike DeVito (big fan) if we're sticking to the 3-4? Coples only coming in on passing downs? I know DeVito is in the final year of his contract but now it seems like we'll have 3-4 pass-rushing OLB as our priority in the 2013 draft again.

Put me down as the guy who wanted Ingram and if Coples blows it up next season and Ingram rides the bench in San Diego, --then PLEASE feel free to bump this thread with an "I told you so" quote. But if you do, then it means that the JETS are doing well as a result of Cople's play and I win anyway.

18. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

He's really raw and never played against anyone he wasn't a far superior athlete than. And no, he isn't the answer to Gronkowski, it takes more than a good 40 time to be a good coverage LB

19. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

While pre draft I was dead set against Coples. The fact that Rex ran him through linbacker drills was worrysome to me. I did not see him making the transition to OLB well at all. After hearing that he would be keeping his hand in the dirt as a DE for us I'm much happier with the pick. We now have two very good bookends in our 34 front and this gives us a dangerous defense even without a stud OLB.

Hill was another I did not love leading up to the draft. I wanted no part of him at 16 feeling that better players would be available. At 43 he is a great value. The kid should give us a dynamic over top top threat now and has a big time upside as more than a pure burner as well as being a very good run blocking wideout which fits our O well.

Davis is just what we needed at ILB, a young player with excelent speed to match Harris's good all around play. He will push Scott for time now and replace him completely in a year.

The late picks provide depth and potential. If they pan out great, if not 6th round and later is as much a crap shoot as UDFA's. I was supprised to see Allen there and glad we took the chance. We now have some depth at saftey even if the quality of that depth is questionable. Ganaway is a bull who may see some action this year, 4 RB's in 4 drafts for Rex now.

We did not address OLB which I really wanted for the Jets in this draft, but hopefully we have some young players who come along while Pace and Thomas hold the fort for one more season. RT was another area that many thought we would address that went unchanged. If one of Vlad or hunter do not step up this alone could be our downfalll.

Looking forward, we established more of an Identity this off season. We are going back to power running, play action pass, and very solid defense, just the way Rex likes it. Hill gives us the dynamic that Edwards brought, without the off feild trouble. I'm optimistic as can be post draft and thats a good thing.

20. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

The only LB in this draft who had the ability to cover Gronk was Lavonte David and even he would have a tough time. Antonio Allen on the other had has been covering TEs in college for awhile and has done well, he'd be able to defend Gronk for us.