Compensatory Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ScotsJet, Jan 8, 2012.

1. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Just read a projections suggesting the Jets could expect as many as four comp. picks in rounds 5, 6 and 7 (x2). Maybe for once we might have a decent crop of rookies. In additional good news, they can't be traded, right?

Link

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

No they can not be traded.

Don't confuse a lot of low round picks with a good crop of rookies though. The majority of late picks will not see much action this year if any at all.

3. Lost on Revis Island

No they probably wont see the field much, but they can still equate to a nice crop of rookies. You might not find starting calibur players but you can find some nice special teamers late. You can also grab some OL projects to add some depth. Maybe rex finds a project pass rusher late. The way i see it is the more picks you have the higher percentage you have to strike gold late, who knows.

4. CraigF1210

CraigF1210 Member

not only that, but while we can't trade the extra picks, they give us more flexibility with our own picks if we want to move up for a player

5. casman02

casman02 New Member

I think the extra picks (if the Jets do end up with any) will either let the Jets trade their other picks and move up minimally or maybe take a solid kicker or punter. Normally I am against this, but comp picks may make it acceptable. Either way, 4 comp picks will be a good thing

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

that would be cool - indirectly gives us some more ammo utilizing our own picks. hell moving up even 2-3 spots can make all the difference.

7. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

4 extra late round picks would be fantastic. It's like getting four extra lottery tickets. Things might not work out with them (and definitely won't work out for all of them), but it's nice to have four extra chances at getting something.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

100% agree with Hurricane.

The fifth rounder will have a good chance to contribute immediately depending on position.

9. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i did not think we were in line for that many compensatory picks ... i forgot that burress doesnt count as a offset signing because he was cut

we gave up a late pick for the guard from GB but we got a late pick for lowery ... that should put us at 11 picks

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

That's the kind of mindset that the GMs of teams who consistently tend to not yield any production from their late round picks generally have going in. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Kerley was a 5th Rounder...I'm just saying :)!!!

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

6th and 7th round picks have about the same track record as a UDFA once signed. While extra picks are nice, I'm not going to get overly excited about adding a ton of late rounders. I'm more excited about having rounds 1-4 to spend for the first tinme in a while and picking in the middle of each round should add some viable talent as several positions.

13. legler82

Is Kerley's emergence a product of his talent or our lack of quality depth at the position? Think he would be able to come in and take hold of the 3rd WR position for any other playoff team?

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yes. Kerley is becoming a very good 3rd wideout, looked good running our WC, and is an good return man. He has a nose for the sticks on third down and shows good elusiveness in the open feild. The kid has a birght future.

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Kerley is talented.

What's ironic, Shotty was a big advocate drafting Kerley, he even went to Texas to work him out.

16. legler82

Though the track records of 6th and 7th round picks may be the same as those of an UDFA; there is one major distinction. When you draft the player, you secure his rights whereas an UDFA can go anywhere they please. So if there's a guy out there you like that projects anywhere from the 6th round to not getting drafted, you'd feel much better having multiple late round picks than you would not having them.

If I was a GM, I'd be excited about more picks vs less picks. Sometimes you end up hitting on your 6th and 7th rounders while striking out and early picks. Not to mention the flexibility extra late round picks present on draft day. Though compensatory picks may not be traded. Having one or 2 could afford you the expense of trading one or 2 tradeable late rounders to move up a few spots in the earlier rounds to get someone you are targeting.
    The more picks the merrier I say.

The late round picks IMO are the true test of a good GM and scouting department. Your average college football fan should be able to draft in the first 3-4 rounds. After that is when it gets dicey and that's where you would expect the paid professionals to earn their checks.

17. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

Just to make sure I understand. For Brad Smith we will get a 4th, for Edwards a 5th, Drew Coleman a 7th and somebody else a 7th. I hope you are right.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Average fans don't have access to the interview process or the ability to watch hours of tape on each player. Its a big reason why players rise and fall from our draft day mocks/predicitons. Its easy to peg the talent for the first couple rounds and starts to get very murky very quickly.

More pikcs is good, but excited? Not exactly. Happy, sure, but this is nothing earth shattering.

19. sg3

sg3 Banned

a five for Invisiible Ellis would certainly be vastly more than his worth as a player. An additional 6th and 7th for Coleman and Edwards would also be OK especially since we will get zippo for the horrible Mason. Maybe we can even resign Edwards for vet mins -one year and still get a comp pick for him

20. legler82

Fair enough. I get excited over anything that could potentially make the team better, 7th rounders, comp picks, UDFAs, you name it. I'm that much of a miserable fan; it sucks.