Colin Kaepernick gets 6 year deal worth $110+m with $60m guaranteed

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Vahncase, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Vahncase

Vahncase Well-Known Member

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

That is comical but good news for the rest of the league as it means Sea will have to overpay for Wilson and those 2 superpowers will have to start losing players to the cap.

Barcs, JetsVilma28 and abyzmul like this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That's fuckin ridiculous lol

Jesus

4. Vahncase

Vahncase Well-Known Member

60M+ for a quarterback with some promise who is mostly carried by the strength of his team.
    I cannot comprehend this.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The big winner is Russel Wilson, he gets just as much next season.

I dont see how the 49ers retain dominance anymore, this guy really isnt that good of a QB Imo either.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Fuck yeah. And then the Jets will be in the catbird seat because they'll only have to pay whatever trash QB they have about 5mil and some vouchers for a movie showing in Montana.

Sundayjack likes this.
  7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

He should send a thankyou card to Micah Hyde

[​IMG]

If Hyde actually caught that, Kaepernick doesnt get paid.

8. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

believe it or not, this is totally market price no matter how high it is. the cost of a franchise QB is ridiculous these days, and any QB thats played well in the postseason will be coveted as a must keep addition to the team. Kaeprnick is just the start, Wilson's gonna make 130 mill + next year, if the cap increases this is only gonna get more ridiculous.

Anybody think Cutler deserves more than Kaep? No? a QB thats played well when it counts deserves more than one who hasn't right? well here ya go. cutler makes 18 mill a year for being a good starting QB, Kaep makes 21 mill a year for being a playoff winning super bowl caliber QB.

not to stroke my own ego, (okay TOTALLY to stroke my own ego ;)) i called this in another thread recently. I said 5 years 105 million and I got the actual average dead on I just got the number of years wrong.

as for wether this will cap strap them... I don't know, though i think most of their talent is locked up anyhow. that new deal for Thursday night football should impact the cap substantially, it might make this look reasonable in a few years.

for now it looks high, but just wait my friends, this is only the beginning.

9. nyjunc

new deals always look high at first but he's still a bit unproven to throw that kind of money at him. He's only started one full season, if he keeps playing well it will look like a good deal a few years from now, if not it could be disastrous.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Man if you think back to that Sanchez extension - that was one hell of gamble that could have played off really well if Sanchez had a true breakout season.

These QBs getting paid it's just too much money, I think they are betting on the cap increasing.

11. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

its borderline appropriate timing given that he only had one more year left on his deal. The fact that he showed up in his second year rather than his first means the evaluation period had to be shortened. letting him get close to free agency would have been... ill-advised.

Conversely, once Wilson is ready to be extended he would have a had more to base it off of.

12. 101GangGreen101

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/05/the-full-kaepernick-contract-details/

It's a good contract if Kaepernick holds his end of the bargain. It's not as bad as originally thought - the 49ers have multiple ways to escape this contract also.

Axel3419 and VanderbiltJets like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think Kaepernick is a good QB that will only get better under Harbaugh's coaching. The number looks high now but in 3 years when contracts get bigger and bigger and that's just a middle of the pack QB deal, they will have him on a bargain.

I'd definitely trade places with them immediately - that's for sure. A QB guru as a HC and a young QB that is getting better and better and locked in for years - that's setting yourself up for long term success.

14. BrowningNagle

He gets paid whether that's intercepted or not. One play doesn't define a player. They've been evaluating Kaepernick every single day since they drafted him. He took them to the SB. If that pass was intercepted they would certainly feel the same way about him today.

15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

That's the definition of overpaid. But hey this is a quarterbacks league and teams are always going to want to lock up their QB when they think they've got their guy.

16. 101GangGreen101

Not many 100M QBs win SBs. I think Eli was the only one to really do it so far.

17. BrowningNagle

"so far" is the key part of your argument.

For starters - there hasn't been that many 100M QBs in general until recently anyway, and your argument won't hold up in the long term. Aaron Rodgers just signed $110M extension last offseason, does anyone really think he won't win another before he hangs em up? That's just one example.

18. nyjunc

Eli's deal was just under $100 mil

19. 101GangGreen101

We have yet to see a QB with that contract win a SB. Daunte Culpepper got a 100M in 2003. Brett Favre, Drew Bledsoe back in 2001.

It has never worked - until the cap becomes much larger, then these teams will continue to suffer.

He's still in the 100M dollar QB club though. It was an extension.

20. nyjunc

it sounds like this deal is all window dressing from what I have been reading. maybe it is a good deal after all?

the more important new contract for SF is the best HC in the game, they cannot let Harbaugh go.

VanderbiltJets likes this.