Coleman Likely to Start Over Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by legler82, Sep 29, 2010.

1. surviveone

surviveone New Member

FYI, The slot WR is always off the LOS.

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Are you in Buffalo or are watching ur bro from home?

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I thought Coleman played very good again today, it seemed to be Pool and Wilson who got beat in the coverage this afternoon. Coleman had that very nice tackle right before the half which would have been 15 yards shorter had Pool not run into the guy expecting him to go down. I think he also had a pass breakup as well.

At this point it's looking like Coleman and Lowery are more reliable then Wilson although I expect Wilson to continue to get OJT as the Nickel.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

http://www.essortment.com/articles/slot-receiver_6465.htm

Normally, wide receiver positions are most commonly referred to as the X and Z receivers if there are only two receivers on a football field. But, if there are three or more receivers on the field, the inside receivers are usually referred to as the slot receiver.

Former Super Bowl Champion with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Reggie Barlow has played and lined up in every wide receiver position in his career and explains the who usually plays in what role and why.

"Whenever you have two receivers, the slot receiver is just a guy on the inside," he said. "A lot of teams like to use a guy who is a little shiftier and who has a lot of quickness. While a lot of teams to have bigger guys in there, because they can work the middle and take a pounding."

More times than not, the X receiver is the number one wide receiver on the team. He is usually the guy that the team depends on to make big plays. Also, if a team lines up in a formation that calls for only one wide receiver, the one receiver on the football field will be the X receiver.
    If the offense shifts into a play where there are two wide receivers split out to either side, they would be called the X and Z receivers.

However, if the formation calls for two receivers and the second receiver is on the same side as the X receiver, then that receiver is considered to be the slot receiver. As its plain to see, the decision on whether or not a second receiver should be called a Z or slot receiver basically depends on where he is lined up on the field.

Now, if there are three receivers on the football field, even if they all are lined up on the same side, the receiver farthest inside would be considered the slot receiver.

According to Barlow, whether or not that wide receiver wants to line up on the line of scrimmage or off the line of scrimmage can be determined by a multitude of factors.

"A lot of coaches have the slot receiver off the line of scrimmage," he said. "But some allow the inside receiver to make the decision whether to be on the line or not."

In most cases, the slot receiver is usually the third best receiver on the team. This is the receiver that comes into the game on long passing downs. However, with the steady advancement in the approach and philosophy of offensive teams attempting to find better ways to get the ball to their top receiver, the number one receiver will sometimes line up in the slot area.

This allows for mismatches for the offense because most times, the best cover guys are always lined up on the outside. So, if you line up your number one receiver in the slot, he may get a one-on-one opportunity with a linebacker or a safety, someone he is obviously quicker than in the open field.

"If it's a 3 receiver set, then he very well could be the third receiver," said Barlow.

5. rex-N-effects

rex-N-effects New Member

coleman played very well today. i give him alot of respect

6. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Coleman Island.

7. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Coleman Shoal.

[​IMG]

8. Since I was 9

Since I was 9 New Member

Coleman played lights out today, just seems like Wilson's never got his head turned the right way, growing pains but he is killing us, hopefully Revis will play next weak, otherwise Favre will attack his side.

9. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

release revis. drew coleman is a super star.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Wasn't much of a test today, but he did his job for a third straight week and deserves credit.

11. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Hey Kyle, turn your head ONCE a game, please?

[​IMG]

12. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

^Sorry for the overly-large toast. Not sure what happened there.

13. Since I was 9

Since I was 9 New Member

Amen!! I was just gonna post that! Just seems like he NEVER has his head in the right direction, we are really gonna need Revis next week otherwise Favre will pick on him all day!

14. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

The size isn't the issue, the fact that it has no butter is the tell tale sign that he took it dry.

No one has been listening but I have been saying his technique is horrible...
    Rookie is an excuse to an extent but having such a horrible technique is not excusable..
    The guy is constantly being caught flat footed, bad positioning no hip movement...dead feet...
    Everything is wrong right now.

He needs to work on it a lot.
    But Hopefully he can fix it all, I think he can, and hope he does.

15. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

Coleman wasn't even thrown at today. Regardless of the competition, that's encouraging.

16. legler82

Mr. Wilson - How do you let a WR get behind you for a 13 yard TD when you are giving said WR a 10 yard cushion? That's not easy to do; it takes some effort.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He went for the shoulder shake and Fitz threw a good ball.

18. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

You guys really need to give this kid some slack.

It's his rookie year. Expect growing pains.

If you see these same types of mistakes a year from now, then that's reason to START to worry about Kyle Wilson, just a little bit.

Fact is, the kid is insanely talented, and it's only week 4. Give him some time to develop, please.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Yep.

The problem is we all are spoiled from 1st round picks doing something amazing in their 1st year minus Gholston.

I've yet to get emotional about what Kyle is doing.

I get it.

20. legler82

That's what some of the guys said at the bar. At first glance, he just looked like his feet were stuck in cement to me cause it wasn't much of a fake. Since this was not a nationally televised, I don't have it DVR'd to look at it again.