Code's 2011 Jets Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CodeGreen, Mar 18, 2011.

1. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Summary: If their is one thing I would like to fix it would be adding Offensive players. My draft is pretty defensive heavy. That being said I'm decently satisfied with the way it turned out

Round 1: Brooks Reed DE/OLB, Arizona

This is the Jets pass rusher that we all have wanted for a while. He is a good pass rusher, and he has a good motor and instincts. I also like his athleticism for making plays in coverage

Alternative Pick: Cameron Heywerd DE, Ohio State

I know some people have cold feet about drafting another Ohio State defensive lineman. That being said Mike Tannebaum loves drafting Big 10 players.

Round 3: Quinton Carter S, Oklahoma

Carter possess the skills one is looking for in a safety, good range and good ball skills. The only thing I don’t like about him is that I can’t really say how he would be near the line of scrimmage attacking running backs.

Alternative Pick: K.J Wright OLB, Miss State.
    Wright is one of the top all-around linebackers in this class. He is a nice athlete who can blitz as well as coverage. I really like his athleticism and think if he gets a little more coaching he could do some good things.

Round 4: Jerrell Powe NT, Ole Miss

I would say a guy like Sione Fua is probably going to be gone when the Jets pick. There are other options here, but I think Powe could be special. He has some academic red flags and may not be in the best shape, but he does have some of the best tools. If he can put it together Powe could create nightmares in both running and passing plays

Alternative Pick: D.J Williams TE, Arkansas
    I think the Jets need to find another tight end. This isn’t so much of a reflection of Dustin Keller as much as it is on the Jets offense. The Jets like to run the ball so we need bigger tight ends. However Hartsock and Mulligan just don’t cut it offensively. Williams has been productive at Arkasas and fits the role as a more traditional tight end.

Round 5: Jeremy Beal DE/OLB, Oklahoma
    I have a feeling Beal won’t make it this far, but he has been bombing this postseason so I wouldn’t rule it out. Beal was productive at Oklahoma and even has experience playing at linebacker, but as mentioned he has looked bad in the senior bowl and at the combine. Plus it cant hurt to double dip at rush linebacker

Alternative Pick: Mike Mohammed ILB, Cal
    Mohammed is a gritty player with a fantastic motor. He isn’t really athletically gifted but he makes up for it with a great drive.

Round 6: Justin Boren G, Ohio State

Stealing from GH here. Brandon Moore is another “aging” offensive lineman that is going to be replaced down the road. Boren is a nice run defender and could probably be a backup to any of the interior offensive lineman.

Alternate Pick: Mario Butler CB, Georgia Tech
    Butler projects well as a nickel corner. Butler doesn’t really have the speed or athleticism to run with guys deep but he does have decent instincts and ball skills.

Round 7: Greg McElroy QB, Alabama

McElroy doesn’t have great mechanics but he has played in a pro style and he is a good game manager. Clemens is gone, and Brunel is better suited for simply “advice”.

Alternative Pick: Pep Levingston DE,LSU

Levingston’s best trait is his strength. He can hold up at the point of attack and has a decent motor. However he isn’t going to provide much more than a body to control a blocker, he isn’t going to make plays.

#1 CodeGreen, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

I like this draft, very solid.

My only 2 problems are

1) I like Quinton Carter alot but I dont exactly think he'll be there in the late third, he's one of the top 5 safeties in this draft next to Moore, McDaniel, Williams(Deunta, I think Aaron Williams will be drafted as a CB), and Sash. Since safety will be at sucha premium I could see Carter being picked mid second to early third, but thats just my opinion.

2) DJ Williams has the same skillset and speed as Keller, great hands, quick, receiver first. He is a better blocker then Keller though Ill give you that but I see us drafting a TE like Lee Smith or Charlie Gantt that are above average blockers who can make space. Not saying I wouldnt like Williams but I dont see us addressing TE till later.

The rest is awesome, Powe would be great on the DLine at any position NT or DE.

I like the double dip at OLB Beal and Reed would make awesome competition in training camp for rookies.

3. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Outside of Rahim Moore all the other safeties seem to have the 2-3 label on them, I think their will be a safety their when we pick, it came down to Carter or Williams.

The reason I have Williams is because we need more than a pure blocking tight end, we need a receiver. Are their other options who can block and have a decent level of offensive production latter in the draft? sure

4. JohnnyThaJet

But isnt that what Kellers for?

5. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Ok leme break it down for you

Dustin Keller: good receiver, poor blocker

Ben Hartsock (yes he got cut )& Matthew Mulligan: good blockers, poor receivers

DJ Williams: Potentially a better blocker than Dustin Keller, Potentially a better receiver than Hartsock and Mulligan

6. JohnnyThaJet

I get that, balance on balance not saying it doesnt make sense but IMO I think we'd be better off drafting DLine then TE at that spot. Now having two great TE's is nothing to complain about Id just like a better blocker who doesn't commit so many penalties (like hartsock) and draft one later in the draft.

Not arguing your statement because you are correct I just feel DLine, Safety,Oline, or even CB at that spot would make more sense then TE.

#6 JohnnyThaJet, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  7. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

I don't like like the DJ Williams pick either TBH. The last thing the Jets need is another undersized TE that is average at blocking(Williams is by no means superior to Keller in blocking). Plus he's nowhere near Keller athletically either.

The Jets need a giant oak tree at TE with soft hands, like Charlie Gantt(best hands on MSU) or Lee Smith. The 2nd TE should be a great inline blocker with the ability to be a safety valve, too many people use what the Patriots have as the rule rather than the exception.

Other than that, I like the draft. Very plausible picks that can help get back to the AFC title game and hopefully farther...

8. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Thanks for the comments, I want to stress that Williams would be an alternate pick.

I see what your saying about wanting an inline blocker first and I cant disagree with that. I'm just saying that I think we would benefit from a blocker who can actually be a viable receiver and not just a safety valve

9. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Great Job!!

The Closer we're get to the draft, Reed seems to be the most likely choice in Rd 1, unless Belichicken snaps him up a few picks earlier.

Reed and Carter would be 2 great picks.

Not thrilled with Beal or Williams, would like to add a true 3-4 end.

I want a WR in this draft in the middle rounds.

Boren is a solid player, I'm glad you agree we need depth on the o-line.

I prefer Mike Mo, he would a solid player to behind Harris and Scott.

10. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Thanks

I can see why you would want a true 3-4 end and I considered a few guys but I opted to take two rush linebackers.

I think their is little to no chance that the Jets spend a draft pick on a receiver, especially not with one of our first 4 picks. I wouldnt say this has as much to do with the talent available ( IMO this is actually one of the better WR classes in recent history) as much as our FA WRs

11. tpplayer33

tpplayer33 Banned

Love the McElroy pick in the 7th. Not sure he will be available, but that would be a great pick to back-up Sanchez.

12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

This looks like a solid draft rather than (as many turn out to be, including one that I tried to do) a fantasy wish list - good job.

13. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I Like this one alot, Reed has become my favorite player in this years draft and Q. Carter at safety is a nice pickup in the 3rd Round.