Clemens is not the Answer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Dec 31, 2007.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Which unless he executes perfectly every time is going to leave him even more vulnerable due to the lack of plays and thats assuming we do solve the O line problem.
    On a footnote here , Montgomery has looked better than most at LG.

2. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

No that is not true. Dumbing down the playbook is SOP for young QB's. It means they do not have to know 9 different 4 wr spreads to combat a safety blitz. It means he does not have to shift the O-line 6 ways to Sunday to throw the D off because it is another 3 yard throw.

The offense needs to be complex because Chad can not throw the ball long, can not make the required throws of an NFL QB. They have to disguise more, shift more etc. etc. If anything dumbing down the playbook and suiting it more for KC will mean the opposite. He will not have to be perfect in an offense that is not suited for him. He can still make a mistake or two on the execution because at least he will be more comfortable with the play book and make him more relaxed with leading the team. Not worrying about which formation needs to be switched at the line to disguise a RB screen.

To your footnote, a thumbsucking 3 y/o would look better than Adrian Clarke. While an improvement it is still not a satisfactory situation

#42 Miamipuck, Dec 31, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  3. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Since this team is re-building and this seems to be one of the biggest pieces of the puzzel besides o-linemen. We should strongly consider what is out there at QB in the draft. Do we have time to work with this guy to fix the problems he has right now. Can these issues be corrected. If a change needs to be made we should do it now and not wait. What does the board think. JMO.

4. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

For QBs, you either have "it" or you do not. I have yet to see "it" from KC, so the jury is still out on whether or not he can become the chosen one at QB.

5. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

We saw pocket presence in the first couple of games, but getting hit so hard has transformed him into an indecisive, scared looking QB back there.

6. diiiiilooooch

diiiiilooooch Member

Like another guy said, Clemens can do us good for a little while, but we have to keep drafting QB's on the 2nd day until we find the Holy one.

Like Tom Brady....6th round.
    Tony Romo....Undrafted
    Matt Hasselbeck....6th Round

Hall of Famers:

Dan Fouts...3rd Round
    Bart Starr....17th Round
    Joe Montana....3rd Round
    Steve Young....Supplemental Draft
    Johnny Unitas....9th Round

Drafting it late round is sometimes very good...

7. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Tommy, you are right on target. If you have watched football for as many years as I have, you can just tell if a QB has "it". Its hard to put into words just what "it" is, but this guy just shows nothing, to me, as far as being an NFL QB. I watched Drew Brees the other day, on a team with a crappy O line and no running game, and you could see, in his accuracy and decision making, that he was an NFL QB. Clemens has shown none of this. I hope I'm wrong, but it "don't look good."

8. JerseyJet27

JerseyJet27 Member

I give him the benefit of the doubt he plays behind a bad offensive line, but I don't think hes shown much progression at all since he took the starting job. Very inaccurate and looks clueless in the pocket at times. I give him about half way in to next season. Hopefully our O-line will be somewhat improved by then. If he is showing no progression by then I think we are in major trouble at the position.

9. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

As I have watched many a game, And your 100% right. You can see it in his actions, pocket presence among other things. I dont see something that can be polished into a QB that we need on a team that is building for the future.

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but a year from now Pennington will be preparing for a playoff game in Minnesota. Meanwhile, the Jets, despite fixing the OL, will be closing out another 4-5 win season with Clemens having completed 52% of his passes, getting sacked 50+ times and throwing more picks than TDs.

I read in the paper today that Clemens led the Jets to scores on 9 of 87 drives. That is pitiful.

I agree with some of the posts above. Even with the team's shortcomings, and there are many, Clemens hasn't even shown flashes. You can't teach instincts, and he has very poor instincts. As for the "complicated" playbook and decision making, the Jets yesterday did not use the same line of scrimmage audibles that they use with Pennington. It is not the playbook. It is not the playcalling, which was very imaginative yesterday. It was not the lack of a running game, which was productive yesterday. You can tell from watching the player that he is not an NFL QB. Look, if you are going to excuse Clemens' performance because of the OL, the running game, etc, then Pennington gets the benefit of those excuses also. The difference is Pennington has the track record, even post injury. Is Bulger a bad QB?? He had a horrible season. Think the Rams OL and defense had anything to do with that?

The Jets have had the same shortcomings for two years now - bad OL, no running game, poor defense. If the plan is to upgrade the lines, then the Jets should keep Pennington , who is a proven winner and light years better as a QB than Clemens or any of the junk that is out there in FA. If Pennington is traded, I see years of bad football and constant rebuilding in the Jets' future. Keep Pennington, draft a QB in the middle rounds and let's fix the lines.

#50 Joe Willie White Shoes, Dec 31, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Why would MN screw with the head of their QB of the future who they are building a team around? MN has a good young QB, if Pennington can't stay here because we don't want the controversy, why would MN want the controversy?

Pennington won exactly 1 game this year in more games against the worst in the league. Pennington has proven he can win 9 or 10 games with a 9 or 10 win team. He has proven he can't win with a bad team and Clemens as bad as he has been the team has won more for him than for Chad.

12. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Kellen AND Chad

Please catch your breaths, Gentlemen, and clean off your glasses. Take a look at Collins / Campbell, and Collins / Young, and even Grossman / Griese / Orton before you throw out the babies in the wash. NYJs have an offensive system; it may transform or refine -- but it's NOT going away. It changes every week, and sometimes as we've seen this year it will have to change radically during a game.

NYJs need REAL speed in the WRs, and strength, size, and better coaching in the OL. NYJs certainly don't need another newbie at the bottom of a 1,000 foot high offensive learning curve. Without run blocking McFadden would go on injured reserve by week seven. Without pass blocking Ryan would be sacked into David Carr within a season.

13. JetsLookingforDWare

"It" is usually team success...so Kellen's beat there.

I think he'll be fine if we fix the O-line. I liked most of what I saw from him honestly.

14. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Brees did not look like he had "it" at all his first two full seasons at QB. In fact he was really bad. Then in his third season he just got "it" and has been a top NFL QB since. But he fif not show anything to really impress you in his first two seasons.

15. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

1. Chad is not as good as Kellen. This is why he lost his job. Why can't you see that? He LOST his job because of his terrible play

2. Minnesota is not where he is going to wind up. They like T. Jackson and will stick with him.

3. It is highly doubtful CHad will be on the team next year and I am glad. Maybe we can all move on and support the new QB rather than continually thinking Chad is, or was ever a really good QB.

16. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Maybe because he can't pass. Maybe because in the two weeks before yesterday's game he turned the ball over 7 times, resulting in two losses and costing the team a playoff spot. Have you seen Jackson play? He is not an NFL-calibur QB. And this is a team with an OL, a running game and a defense.

You love to throw out the stats for this year's abysmal Jet team, but you forget that Pennington won 10 games last year with the same rag tag team and led them to the playoffs. It amazes me that when Pennington plays, he is the reason the Jets lose and the rest of the team is the reason they win and with Clemens it is reversed. Clemens had as much to do with the win yesterday as I did. The revival of the Jet defense has more to do with the Jets three wins under Clemens than the QB play. Pennington would have won, IMO the same three games that Clemens won. And he also would have beaten Washington and Cleveland.

You and I will always disagree on Pennington and neither of us will change each other's minds. Let's see what happens next year. I think next year will be very telling. I can see Pennington with another team in the playoffs and the Jets winning 4 again with Clemens. I hope I am wrong.

17. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I want to lean toward agreement with the premise of this thread. Then, I saw that Serby wrote pretty much the same thing in his article this morning. Now, I'm torn. He's such a banana-headed dope, I'll have to pause and think about this some more.

. . . although, he could turn me right around again with one of his special Q&A pieces, where I find out that KC's favorite movie is Beaches, and how his favorite food is Kraft mac & cheese.

18. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

I agree about next year being a key year for this regime and this team.

Part of it is about wins, but a big part of it is about how the team looks. They looked awful this year, played boring, unimaginative games, and got dominated on the LOS for most of the season.

i think CP would be a good fit in Minny, and their incumbent isnt so ensconced in the position that he couldnt bear a little competition.

19. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

#1 Based on what? Chad lost his job because of poor form , he didn't become a terrible QB. WE know what Chads game is and many many fans wanted change THATS why Kellen got his chance. Had KC not performed as well as he did in the Baltimore game , we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.
    #2 My bet is that Chad and Vilma will be packaged up for player plus pick
    #3 Until we have a new messiah , the heat will always be on the Jets QBs. New York is a fish bowl , maybe KC can't handle that.

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Chad had a typical Chad game against TN and put 1 score on the board. He has been awful and the last thing the Vikings need with a true Deep threat WR and a running game is a QB who will guarantee a stacked line on every play. The fact that Clemens has been awful doesn't mean Chad hasn't sucked, he has.

With all the problems our team has better QB play by either Pennington or Clemens and this team wins 7 to 9 games this year, that's how bad this league is.

Pennington's play last year was mediocre and the team as a whole other than the WR play of Cotch and Coles last year was mediocre.