CJ Mosley opts out of 2020 season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That is exactly my thinking as well.

This season is going to be a fuckin' joke. Teams are missing players. No fans in some stadiums. What happens if an outbreak occurs? What if a teams QB gets COVID?

It's going to be a mess. If I am Mosley coming off a groin injury, I would take the year off as well.

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i dont wish pain upon anyone at this point in my life, but you dont know what a groin injury really is until you have had one.

you basically are what you claim he is. you are selfish, you know he is good and the team would be better with him. so you are mad that he got hurt and now you are mad because he put his body and his family in front of entertaining you. thats selfish on your part and selfish for no good reason other than you like to be entertained.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you forgot the part where he came back early and re-injured it huh?
    I'm sure the groin is fine now but rehabbing and being off the field wears some people down. and his opt out benefits the jets so many ways you'd be insane to be upset over this. His net cost next year is around 1 million. you saying mosley isn't worth having on the roster for 1 million? lol

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's going to be interesting to see if any of these guys can opt out, come back and be effective. This will be essentially 2 games of live action in three calendar years before he plays again.

I wouldn't bank on him being anymore than an average linebacker at best when he comes back. Can't blame him at all though. He's got the bag already.

ouchy and mrmajix like this.
  5. mrmajix

mrmajix Member

I wonder if these guys really believe this stuff they’re writing....about these noble players putting the well-being of their families over their careers, blah, blah blah. It’s about money. It’s always about money with these asshole. I’m sure Mosely consulted with his agent, lawyers and accountants more than the team, physicians and his doctors before making his decision.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

If you already made $40-$50 million in your career and got the option to take a year off and make $250k for doing nothing wouldn't you do it? Without breaching a contract and having it waiting for you?

I don't blame them. But you're right. These are business decisions. And smart ones for the individual. Especially those with a large bank account who didn't spend their money like idiots (the Gronk model and now Burrows is doing it).

mrmajix likes this.
  7. mrmajix

mrmajix Member

Yeap.....that’s why I get irritated listening to these PC platitudes about the player‘s personal health decisions. I guess you can’t blame criminals for getting off on technicalities either.

8. alleycat9

12 years 18 posts. and this is what you have to offer. why are you mad man? are you jealous? you seem jealous. Grown men who are jealous of other grown men.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Who cares how many posts he has? His point is valid. These are business decisions that a portion of any people in a given occupation would make. They aren't making some noble decision (and modern day athletes should really never be viewed as noble unless they have a Josh Jacobs-esque background). It's a business decision.

After Mosely completes this contract, which he likely will get close to doing, he will have nearly $100 million in lifetime earnings and that excludes any external advertising deals and what not he's has. He can opt out and preserve his contract and future earnings and STILL get paid to not work for a year?

No brainer for some.

10. alleycat9

you and he both assume his reasons. sure its PROBABLY a business decision but we dont know that to the point we can come on here and make claims about this is why he did this or that. and he was a jerk about it to boot.

the point about the number of posts is that he should keep not posting because its a horrible take.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

They're all business decisions. Work this year and collect your full paycheck or have that contract preserved until next year and make $150,000 to do whatever you want for the year.

There are probably a couple out there that aren't. The numbers and terms that keep them employed, paid and physically healthy (aside from the virus) make it pretty obvious what's going on.

No one's blaming them. You'd do the same thing if you were comfortable financially and could still get paid 3-4 times the national salary average in the country.

Most professional athletes aren't that much different than the people on Wall Street. They're all in the top 1% or at the very least top 10% of net worth in their country. They just play a game 8/12 months of the year rather than trade every day. These aren't your 1972 NFL players anymore.

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Is this why he has made a comeback? What has he pissed his lifetime earnings on?

And Burrow's, as in Burrow's the new number 1 pick Joe Burrow? What has he been doing then?

We get nothing over in the UK lol

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Burrow has endorsement $$$ that he'll live off of if that's what you're asking.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

No I mean Gronk hasn't pissed his money away. He hasn't touched his game checks and lives off his endorsement money while investing/saving his NFL salary. Burrows said he's going to do the same thing.

Gronk came back because he's the man and why not try to grab one more ring. The itch to play can't possibly have disappeared when the guys in phenominal NFL shape and is in his early 30's. If I were him I would've stayed retired (unfortunately I'm not him :(). He's taken an absolute beating in the league.

My mistake - my statement was unclear.

15. K'OB

Not your fault, I just misread your post lol when I read it back it scans how you meant it, sorry it has been a long day lol

16. K'OB

Thanks but I misread JV's post and thought the opposite of what he implied.

Move along, nothing to see here, move along, move along :D

17. mrmajix

mrmajix Member

I just remembered why I quit coming to this forum. ....

18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

You really believe the Jets don't want to see this guy out on the field? Are they selfish too?

The players that opt out can't hide behind the family reason for doing it.

We all have families all the regular working people going to work during the pandemic AND all the NFL executives, staff, coaches and players that didn't opt out.

It's not a good look for them.

19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

It's been said that poor conditioning leads to injuries.

Just saying.

Again I think you underestimate how these teams truly feel about the opt outs.

IF he's on the team in 2021 what's the over under on this guy coming up lame again at some point more than likely early in the season?

This dude got paid by the Jets, he's gonna milk those three quarters against Buffalo for as long as he can. That's the feeling I get from him.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You don't get to decide why a player made the decision to play or not is legit. Its not your life, its not your money. You have NOTHING to do with these players except cheer for them during the game. It takes a lot of nerve to think you know more about another person decision making process than they do.. Sometimes, its better just to keep shit to yourself.

GasedAndConfused and MoWilkBeast like this.