CJ Mosley opts out of 2020 season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 1, 2020.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

maybe he will maybe he wont. we don't know but do you believe it's better to have no mosley and him still count 19 mil against the cap or have mosley and him count 7 mil against the cap. even if he doesn't play a down in 2021 or is horrible it's still better to keep him for the 12 mil of cap space.

and no we won't save 50 mil going forward. you need to learn how the cap works. the cap is also going down next season due to covid. sam is coming up on a big year. unused cap rolls over. i'll take a mosley fresh and cheap any day of the year. you think at 29 he's just going to magically suck? I don't think that is the case. even if he falls into just good like say williamson is he's getting paid the same as williamson who BTW will likely be gone so we would have to replace mosley and williamson in 1 offseason. you have to plan ahead. GMs think years in advance not just the current season. mosely sitting out benefits us as a team way more then him playing at this point.

As far as the cap. with the way it's worded it won't matter to us. his signing bonus proration is very cheap. it would save us 1.5 mil in 2020 which would be added to 2021 and in our situation where we have quite a bit of room, it'll just roll over. It helps out teams more who have more invested in the signing bonus. mosley got a small one with us only 7.5 mil spread over 5 years (1.5 mil a season on the cap)

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

You can’t blame Mac for not knowing the pandemic was coming of course. In certain ways the Mosley opt out is beneficial cap wise, But obviously can’t credit Max for that either. Generally he just structured contracts poorly and in a more player friendly than team friendly way.

So here’s the thing about Mosley and his opt out.

I’m going to set aside his prorated bonus because it doesn’t really matter in this situation.
    Mosley will play in 2021 and earn $16 million for that service.
    He will play in 2022 and earn $16 million for that service. Exactly when he is paid is largely irrelevant, because it is for 2 years of services rendered.

If a player’s salary is not guaranteed in 2020 and the season is cancelled, the player would lose his salary.

If Mosley did not opt out and the season was cancelled, they would say hey, you’re $6 million was guaranteed, so we’ll guarantee $6 million of your 2021 salary.

The thing is, $8 million of his 2021 salary would already be guaranteed. This means the other half of his $16 million salary that year is de facto guaranteed, because the $8 million actually guaranteed is essentially a guarantee he would not be released.

So opt out = 2 years played, $32 million paid.

No opt out possibility = 1 year played, $26 million paid.

No opt out possibility = 2 years played, $32 million paid.

3. GasedAndConfused

Just an FYI mosley only gets paid 5.85 mil next year (2021) and only counts 7.35 mil against the cap in 2021 because of the opt out. we also saved 6 mil this year we can roll over. he's practically free next year thanks to him opting out cap wise. of course he still got paid 10.15 mil this year already and that counts on the cap this year but he would have been 16.5mil this year and 17.5 mil next year. so we take a 10.15 mil hit for a player who isn't playing in 2020 but we saved about 7 mil which can roll over if we don't spend it and next year he costs only 7.35 mil so less 6 = 1.35 mil. that is mosley's cap effect for 2021. it actually worked out really good for us. but as you said mac can't get credit for that. nobody could have predicted this. it's just dumb luck but i'll take it

4. MaximusD163

Yes I know but ultimately the numbers are all the same in terms of cash to years played. It just helps because the cap in 2021 will be low

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  5. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I worded that very poorly. I was trying to say they should use the cap space they have no to keep flexibility next year like what they did with Enunwa. Take the hit this year and free everything up that they can next year and beyond. If guys have dead money eat it this year who cares at this point

6. MaximusD163

I see, and I agree. Cutting him was wise.

Mosley opting out means his bloated 2021 salary is stuck on the books for 2022, and I bet the Jets feared that Enunwa might opt out for a similar reason.

I was just saying in another thread I would love to move Mosley in a trade after this season. His low 2021 cap hit could entice a team, maybe even for a 3rd or 4th.

KWJetsFan likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it sounds like there could be some other big names league wide to announce their opt out today

the Bills corner, Tre White shocked the Buffalo media yesterday at a conference call when asked why he has decided to play, he answered "I haven't yet, I'm still deciding"

8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Today is the deadline so I would think we'll get quite a few. So far 60 players are opting out

9. MaximusD163

Today is the most interesting day since the NFL draft. Could be a bunch, or could be none.

Falco21 likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

at least it's something NFL related happening lol

11. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I disagree, I believe all the players respect the fact that each player has his own unique circumstances and they won't look down on CJ'S decision to opt out of the 2020 season. Had this been a normal season without covid-19 I could see a different reaction to a player opting out for whatever reason, but this is a different situation.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Add Doctson to the the thread title.

13. GasedAndConfused

that makes sense for him. he wasnt a lock to make the team now he gets guaranteed 150k and doesn't have to play

14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

PFT says it's not free money. It has to be paid back if the player doesn't make the team in 2021.

Something about a salary advance.

15. GasedAndConfused

that's true it is an advance. if the player salary wasn't guaranteed then they have to pay it back in 2021 somehow. not sure how they will do that if the player isn't in the NFL the following season. IN the case of doctson if he doesn't make a team next year he's going to have to give that money back so hope he knows that and doesn't spend it. still the guy has made 10 mil in his career so after taxes and agents fees and such he's probably made around 7mil in the past 5 years which is more then enough to be well off but we know how these players blow money so he could be in trouble

16. WarriorRB28

What makes him a fraud is I've seen articles about what a leader this guy is.

He doesn't even play. The dude took his sweet time recovering from that groin injury last season now in 2020 he's one of the first players on the team to opt out.

He's all about himself not the team. He sacrifices nothing for the good of the team.

I don't care how good he supposedly is or what a good leader he supposedly is it doesn't do the Jets any good if he's always on IR or opting out of playing.

He's no loss.

Can't miss something you've never really had.

17. WarriorRB28

Heal & rest? What's he been doing since the fourth quarter of week 1 2019?

So now a groin injury takes a two years recovery time? Come on.

I think you're underestimating how these teams truly feel about these guys who are opting out.

I don't think Mosley's trade value will be all that high going into 2021 but Douglas has shown he's pretty good at getting value in return for players so we'll see what happens.

I hope Mosley isn't on the team in 2021.

#297 WarriorRB28, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    mrmajix likes this.
  18. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I am not going to knock Moseley for his decision, it is personal and within his rights.

Although he played great for the three quarters he played healthy, I have a terrible feeling this may guy down as the worst FA signing the Jets have ever made In terms of value. I am really starting to feel like he will never do anything significant for the Jets and then miraculously find his drive after he lands on a contender.

19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I find this a little extreme given the current circumstances.

Mosley suffered a tough injury last season. He attempted to come back but constantly took steps backwards in his recovery. Injuring a groin is a REALLY HARD injury to recover from, especially in a sport like football.

With the pandemic situation and his injury, he likely felt that he needed the time to reset his mind and get healthy in an otherwise lost season. Why risk hurting yourself further through a season with no fans and 60+ players opting out, when you can take a year off, spend time with your family and make sure you are 1000% healthy.

Calling this potentially one of the worst signings in Jets history is very extreme. Let's wait until this season is over and see where he is at before we even think to call it the worst move in our history.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

next year he will be 29 years old, healthy and hungry. Might turn out to be a blessing. This season is gonna be a shit show anyway in the league