Cimini - Sunday notes: The need for speed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Apr 6, 2014.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Doesn't this just make you salivate? This guy has Randy Moss type hands. Although he is a bit shorter than Moss, he has great speed and jump ball ability. He has a great attitude as well, and I love how if he isn't close enough to CB to get his hands on him, he'll literally throw his body at them to block for an RB. No diva here.

2. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

That is pretty slick right there- maybe even showing off a little. He could've got right under it and stayed in bounds for a two handed catch- also, it's weird that apparently nobody was covering him.

3. MaximusD163

Lol this was a kick off return.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I disagree. Brick has always been overrated by Jets fans and never that good. His play has slipped considerably the last 2-3 seasons. I'd like to see him gone by 2016.

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I thought after signing Breno we would've grabbed Strief. That would've been ideal. Breno can play either, would've been nice veteran depth

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I'll tell you what makes me salivate when I watch him catch, Mettenberger!!

The man throwing him the ball makes it possible for him to look good also, I don't think Geno will do as good a job as Zak did passing to him if the jets draft him.

However if Vick is the starter I could see him having an immediate impact with a guy who already knows the offense, if he is drafted by the jets....JMO

7. MaximusD163

Personally I think Geno will have a much improved year, but even if you really wanted Mettenberger he can be had in the 3rd most likely. Personally I'd rather just go into camp with Geno and Vick.

8. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Not for nothing but I think the guy Kiper is talking about is Jarod Mayo who went 10th to NE after falling asleep on his visit we took Gholston

9. Jetsfansince95

Who was asleep while on the field

10. MaximusD163

Not for nothing but you're probably right. We had need at ILB that year and ended up taking Harris in the second round. So obviously I wish we had taken someone else with the 6th overall (Joe Flacco maybe) but I'm not exactly mourning Jerod Mayo.

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I agree in that I think OG is more in need of a tune up than OT/C at this stage of the game nd to that end, unless a clear BPA such as Robinson or Matthews dropped to #18, I'd rather grab Odell Beckham at #18 and address the OL later in the draft. Not to steer this "WR" thead off course but quickly looking at later round OL prospects, maybe Bitonio from Nevada in the 3rd round and a sleeper pick in the 5th round I'm getting interested in: Trai Turner of LSU. I re-watched a number of LSU games to check out Odell Beckham Jr., and I noticed in the LSU-A&M game that this pitbull at RG (Turner) was a mauler with attitude. Granted, A&M's DL was chopped liver in 2013 and LSU ran all on them all day, however in watching last year's LSU-Alabama game and in particular LSU's opening drive, Turner aquitted himself well. Hell, if LSU hadn't shot themselves in the foot rignt off the bat with turnovers that could've been a different game. Turner's still a little raw pass protection-wise but what I also like about him is both he and Bitonio play with a nice edge to them as well. Imho, he has a noticeably higher ceiling than the incumbent OG Winters.

on-topic: OBJ by a nose over Cooks and then Lee.

12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I would love the Jets to get an o-lineman in the first two rounds. There are lots of holes on the team to be filled, but everything on offense starts up front and our line looked shaky last year. Coming away with starting caliber players at tight end and guard would look pretty good to me - I'd have to defer to our resident draft experts on what order they should be selected, or whether a trade down would be advisable.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It would be easier to draft the linemen types if they had filled all the holes in the skill positions during FA.

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

True, many tackles play well into their 30's, and i hope D'brick is one of them. I'm a fan of his.
    He'll be 31 this season, his 9th in the NFL. He will also have a cap hit of over 14M going into 2016, when he'll be turning 33. Considering his last 2 years were very inconsistent, that very well could be a year he is cut, if not restructured.
    I'm not trying to run him out of town by any means. Just thinking for the future, and if a solid OT drops to us in the draft, it will be a need sooner than later at either LT or RT.
    I'd like a guy who can play RT, until its time to shift over to LT (which hopefully is several years out).
    Breno could be our 6th lineman, backup OT, or maybe even compete for G. We'd turn the important OT position into a real strength, while also setting up for the future.
    I think it would be a great move.

15. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Yeah that is what I have been banking on, a restructure for Brick and probably Mangold too.

16. mst3000

mst3000 Member

Yeah, I want to know who fell asleep outside of Tannenbaum's office. McCourty? Spiller?

17. Jetsfansince95

18. Jetsfansince95

As he said plays in the division etc... and we went with Harris in the second round.

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

you can't have any thoughts on moving down until you see what is available for you at 18. if there is a player that the Jets believe is a must have at 18 of course they will not pass on him simply because the draft is deep. getting quality later doesn't mean squat if you pass up on a player you believe to be elite.

20. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

No player at #18 is elite. The difference between the 4th best wide receiver and the fifth is just a matter of opinion. Getting extra picks in early rounds can really help your team now and in the future.