Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

If Bakers agent is smart he would be spreading rumors now that Baker would never play in that decaying rust vlbelt shithole cleveland and wants to go to the Jets.

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Unlikely IMO, but we don't really know who the Jets top 3 are. I'm not saying Baker is in the top three for the Jets, because clearly I don't know that. We are assuming that is Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield, but what if it's Allen instead of Mayfield and 2 of the 3 are off the board. Or what if in your scenario the Jets have Mayfield rated second.
    I guess we will know in three long days.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Can't get here fast enough.

dawinner127 and LAJet like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Kind of agree with you that as rumors go the chance of being BS instead of fact is way higher than 50%

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Mac’s got jokes:
    Mike Maccagnan jokes he doesn’t know why everyone is locked in on them taking a QB. Said (jokingly) there are a few safeties he likes at No. 3. #Jets

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’d take a safety over Allen.

PennyandtheJets and Noam like this.
  7. forevercursed

I'd take a DT or Doug Jolley

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Saying you want to play for the Jets isn't really a positive reflection on intelligence. It does show bravery though.

TwoHeadedMonster and Noam like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Derwin James from FSU can rush the passer and is a great safety too ... just saying ...

Noam and FJF like this.
  10. forevercursed

I think we have something good in the works here. Plus Mayfield is a Nike guy and the NFL and his brand needs him in NY. Cleveland is kind of a death sentence. The Browns have tried this rebuild stuff for a while. They are in a cycle of suck with 3 vastly superior football organizations in their division

Rosen was smart in getting the Browns off his plate

#1790 forevercursed, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    xxedge72x likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

That would not be a "safety" move

12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Maybe. If he falls like some think he might, it will have been a bad decision. If he goes in the top 5, yeah...good move by him.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

XX you are usually on the money but not with this one. Much to the contrary. I think it is a huge measure of inteligence, because if he succeeds with the Jets he OWNS NY. Does anyone want to own Cleveland? Or Buffalo for that matter? Plus the thought of a 6'1 massive underdog beating the GOAT into retirement will make the chip on Brady's shoulder look minuscule compared to his.
    Tic, tic, tic 3 days to go before we get to share the emotions and opinions of the Jet draft with all of you great fans.

14. forevercursed

All I know is if I'm Nike I'm making sure he ends up in NY

15. xxedge72x

I was being a little tongue in cheek with that one. Definitely love my Jets and want the best for them.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I know that and was just pulling your chain. I respect your knowledge so I was wondering. Could you live with Allen as a selection?

Noam likes this.
  17. xxedge72x

I'll live with any of them. I'm not an NFL scout, just a fan who is entertained by pretending to be a scout for a little while. I enjoy debating this stuff with people. At the end of the day I care more about the jersey than the player wearing it. I want the Jets to win a Super Bowl, not Baker Mayfield, unless Mayfield happens to be a Jet. If Mayfield goes to an AFC East team other than the Jets, I sure as shit won't wish him well either. Same with Pennington going to the Fins. I loved him as a Jet, and he was dead to me at that point. Same with David Harris, and anyone else.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

My feelings exactly. I root for the name on the front of the jersey at all times. I personally think Allen is horrendous and will never amount to anything more than a backup that bounces around the league, but I’ll root like hell for him to be a franchise QB should that be the guy we draft.

CotcheryFan, Noam and xxedge72x like this.
  19. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

1)Height-Only two players 6 feet and under have been franchise QBs in the modern era. Baker does not have RWs athleticism so dont see comps there. Drew Brees is an anomoly, probably wont see another player like him in our lifetime.

2)Character-Acts like a clown on and off the field. Players will get in his head and he will breakdown. Also has an alochol related arrest which is a big red flag for a guy that is coming to NYC. Dont be shocked to hear about Baker driving the wrong way in the Lincoln Tunnel this time next year like the last guy we drafted who had an alcohol related arrest on his record.

3)Conference-Big 12 QBs dont work out in the NFL. Everyone puts up stats in that conference because they dont play defense.

4)Scheme-Lincoln Riley is a genius and designed plays to give Baker easy reads and throws. The one game Baker missed this year, OU didnt miss a beat. Also take a look at the UGA film in the 2nd half. That is what Baker the bust is going to look like ALL the time in the NFL.

5)Age-Baker is two years older than Rosen and one year older than Allen. When Baker was 21 he wasn't even considered an NFL prospect.

If you are OK with the Jets trading their #6 overall pick and three subsequent 2nd rounds for a 6ft spread QB who is an absolute clown on and off the field you are NUTS!

Jets fans should riot if this guy is the pick.

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member