Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I’d be OK taking a shot on Josh Allen at 3 if Darnold and Rosen are gone. Not too many players come around with the combination of size, arm strength, and mobility that Allen has.

Is he the most polished guy in the world? No, but neither was Wentz, Newton, or Big Ben. Of course the Jags talked themselves into Blake Bortles for similar reasons, and got burned.

Overall I think Allen is a similar prospect to Pat Mahomes (who I wanted to draft at 6 last year).

2. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

Exactly how many games did you watch him play? Was Paxton Lynch considered a #1 overall pick? top 5? top 20? Allen by many NFL players and scouts is the best overall prospect and has him going #1 overall. We'll be lucky to get him if that's the choice. I wouldn't mind Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield as well. Just happy we are getting one.

PLUS, the Jets had a plan in place for a rookie QB all last year and spent countless hours at their games and breaking them all down. If, after all of that time watching all of them live and breaking down film, they feel he is the best QB, then that is a lot more info to base a decision on than what we have.

3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

They say this deal with the Colts started brewing at the combine well before Mayfield & Rosen worked out. I too thought it was triggered
    By the workouts but it was in the plans all the time if they didn't get cousins.

4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think Mac traded up knowing there were a few ways we could possibly get a Rosen or darnold.
    1) if browns take barkly or another player other than QB
    2) if giants take Barkley or someone other than QB
    3) if browns or giants take Allen or Mayfield.

And I think they were OK with choosing Allen or Mayfield if Rosen & Darnold were taken .

5. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I’ve watched every game available on the web along with all the random scouting film/reports available. He’s a better prospect vs Lynch, but primarily because he played in pro style offense which might help him some.

Still consistent accuracy can’t be taught, otherwise you’d see a lot of inaccurate college qbs with big arms becoming great pros.

You take away his 3 best games (against bad teams), and he’s a 6 td - 6 int qb.

The guy averaged 165 yards/game in college and most times wasn’t asked to throw the ball that much. Can anyone name another qb right now who completed only 56% of his passes in college?

I see Hackenberg II in Allen.

6. SoylentGreen

Ah, did not know this. I’m still sticking with Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield being the 3 they covet but who knows, will say if they pick Allen, then they got big balls + better be right.

dogg likes this.
  7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I can go back in time and find plenty of "expert" mock drafts with Geno Smith going #1 overall too :confused:

This isnt saying that Allen doesnt have potential, just that most of what we read is bullshit

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Mahomes was WAY more accurate, even on the run, than Allen. I agree - I wanted Mahomes, and still think he might well be better than any of these guys.

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That was just a flat, press man, and yes, he missed high. It wasn’t a good throw and that wasn’t a good look from the defense either.

I’m not saying Allen doesn’t throw errant throws. His footwork is shotty at times and that play especially showcased just that. I just think it’s way overblown by a lot of people.

That slant route happens to almost every QB, if not everyone of them. Ha

I get your point. I just don’t think it’s as bad as many people on this forum think. Not even close.

People shouldn’t dismiss him just because of his statline. It’s not a good idea after watching so many of his games now.

I really think he’s going to be a stud. Might even turn out to be the best Qb in this draft. I could easily see it.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Like Knick fans booing kp and then running out to buy his jersey.
    Some fans sound a lot like teenage girls with the “I will lose it if we draft/sign/keep (fill in name here)
    My favorites are the ones that threaten to quit and are back here posting an hour after what they didn’t want to happen happens. Hilarious, can’t take them seriously at all

11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Gonna be people hanging themselves when "their" QB isn't taken. Should be fun...on second thought maybe not. Internet's gonna be humming, lol.

As long as Mac steps in shit that night is all I care about. We'll know in two three years, lol. Omg

FJF and K'OB like this.
  12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

All 4 qbs have their warts..no matter which one we pick it will probably be wrong and on the other hand it might be right. it would be an over reaction to get upset until a year or two as you say.

rohirrim665 and Walt White like this.
  13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

No doubt

14. SoylentGreen

A portion of the NFL community also liked Hackenberg as a late rd. 1 pick. In truth, I see very little difference in the two prospects other than Hackenberg stayed around for his senior year. (and showed more of the same as his Jr year). If Allen stayed another year, who’s to say the same wouldn’t occur.

Can’t deny that the same excuses that were made for Hackenberg are now being made for Allen - bad offensive talent, bad o-line, bad wr’s, lots of drops, no running game, etc. and just like Hackenberg, Allen looks good throwing in shorts.

The earlier clip in this thread of him missing the net is scary stuff + the kinds of things we’ve heard about Hackenberg’s tenure as a Jet. Of course there’s going to be NFL people who believe they can fix him because his arm is crazy strong.

He’s the kind of qb who if selected in rd. 1 gets people fired.

15. JethroTull

Mahomes definitely had some natural accuracy that I don’t see from Allen on tape, but lets not act like he wasn’t a huge project. The kid had the footwork of a high school QB, and never had to make more than one read in the system he ran.

Allen gets sloppy with his mechanics, but at the very least he has some experience going through reads and looks pretty good on those RPOs that are going to be the next big thing in the NFL.

16. JethroTull

First of all Hackenberg did not stick around his senior year-He declared after his junior year.

Second, the excuses for Hackenberg were BS. His first year he was throwing to Allen Robinson, and the year after he left PSU won the Big Ten. Was his Oline great? No, but Hackenberg had some of the worst pocket awareness ever displayed on the collegiate level. There was never a chance he would be an NFL QB because he watches the pass rush instead of hanging in the pocket and delivering the ball. Allen actually has very good mobility and is great at extending plays and throwing on the run.

17. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Pick Allen and im done.
    Period. Im repainting my basement...selling all of my merchandise...im done. Some organizations just cant get it right...even if he turns out to be the MVP of the league it wont matter because im walking away....no regrets.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You could be right in the end, but I still think Allen's issues are the hardest to overcome. But that's the great thing about this board. We have different opinions and unlike many other places we come up with intelligent arguments for them. Or at least most of us... ;)

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Unlike Hack, who's inaccurate and a statue, Allen can move around and make plays. So he'll have some success in the NFL, but he'll have to improve a lot to be a good starter.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm just curious, have you seen the guy play?

I don't mean to pick on you because I do see a lot of Allen haters here and I have a hard time believing y'all watched a lot of Wyoming football the past couple years to have an informed opinion