Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Its not a matter of not liking Mayfield. Its that out of all the things that matter most to me, Rosen is on another level than Mayfield.

Kris 15 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

LOL. Smoke screen this and smoke screen that. This is NFL pre draft day pshycological warfare. I think this thread could have been more appropriately re-titled as:
    Cimini: I have no clue how McCagnan views Baker Mayfield with the third pick. But that won't stop me from talking shit anyhow,

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

"One thing". Not even "one"? I can buy you or anyone liking Rosen better. But not "one" thing? That is insane bias. Do you believe Rosen does better work outside of the pocket? That he handles a rush better? That he has less durability concerns? That he is a superior presence to his teammates? If you can't even find one thing Mayfield does better, it means you have a predetermined position that is not informed by analysis.

Rosen is 100% the superior prospect in terms of under center, pro formation, standard drop and pass quarterback. After that, the conversation shifts dramatically. The NFL has also shifted dramatically, and in that with increasing regularity, teams are building college level concepts into their pro systems, in part to adjust to the fact that the majority of colleges are putting out prospects that come out of these systems, so as not to limit their potential talent pool by only allowing themselves to draft one subset of players. It is adaptation, and the entire league is doing it. Look no further than the Eagles offense last year as evidence of this.

4. Bowles_Rips

Bowles_Rips New Member

Mayfield could very well be a smoke screen.
    A team like the Bills who are looking at Rosen/Allen might not be inclined to give up all their draft stock to get to 2 to take one of Rosen/Allen if they think Mayfield will be going 3 and Rosen/Allen will be there at 4/5/6..

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

OK, but does Rosen really do everything better than Mayfield? Even Allen whom I hate as a prospect does things better than others in this draft.

6. LF911SC

Hes the best thrower in the draft. Has the best mechanics. Is the smartest of the QBs reading and adjusting to the defenses hes played. Makes the best reads. Not sure what else we need in a prospect. Hes not drastically, off the charts better but he is better.

7. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Not really disagreeing with any of that. I am responding to your comment that Rosen is better in every way. That seems like hyperbole.

LF911SC likes this.
  8. LF911SC

I dont think either QB does great work outside of the pocket. Neither is that kind of QB. The rest is what you want to believe, thats fine.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

lol..time to change the title of this thread as cimini now says jets will pick mayfield over rosen, does that mean they think rosen isn't worth the three more than mayfield isn't worth the 3???

10. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

MAYFIELD IS A SPREAD OPTION QB AND UNDERSIZED. FIND ME 3 GUYS IN NFL HISTORY THAT CAME FROM A PURE SPREAD OFFENSE AND THAT SIZE THAT TURNED INTO A LEGIT FRANCHISE QB. WE DONT NEED PROJECTS. WE NEED NFL READY QBS. ROSEN IS THE MOST NFL READY BY FAR. PERIOD.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

At this point, anything any reporter says is just generating clicks. "Silly season"

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

the game is changing.

read here how many teams are playing more and more spread formations.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1659751-identifying-every-nfl-teams-base-offense

and that was written 5 years ago, i am sure there are even more now.

#1772 Don, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    NYJetsO12 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Came here to post this..fuckin hilarious. lol

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that article is 5 years old. I could go back a few years from that when miami ran a sucessfull wildcat offense but it didn't last very long. If you take the newest one i seen it was from 2016 and the niners ran a similar offense to that (99% of passes in the shotgun) they also had the worst offense in the NFL that season and dialed it back for 2017

15. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

No it's not. Go through every starting QB in the NFL today team by team. Name me which ones came from a pure spread offense and are under 6'2". You can go back 20 years and you will find the same thing. They almost always fail and there are only a couple that are true franchise QBs.

Mayfield would have been available at #6. If that is the pick,McCagan needs to be fired for making one of the worst trades in NFL history.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I guess the rumors that the Browns are divided over whether to take Mayfield at one is wrong. The rumors that Cardinals love Mayfield and want to trade up to 5 is also wrong. That the Broncos love Mayfield is also wrong.

If you identify a FQB you move up and take him. Three 2nd round picks is nothing to give up for a potential FQB. the opportunity to draft a potential FQB comes around rarely. Obviously, the FO identified at least 3 FQBs or they would not have traded up to 3.You might disagree with how they ranked the QBs which is a very legitimate opinion but there is nothing wrong with the trade. For example I hated the idea of taking Hackenburg but I respected the philosophy behind it that in that case that if they thought he had a 10 percent chance he could become a FQB then it makes sense to gamble and buy a lottery ticket on a 2nd rd pick. Obviously a high 1st round pick is different and you have to be a lot more sure in your evaluation. Mayfield is number one on many peoples boards and there is a very good chance he would have been gone by 6. If you want to make sure you get one of the big 3 QBs in this draft and you value all 3 of those as FQBs you have to trade up.

#1776 Noam, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There are no indications or guarantees whatsoever than in this QB starved year one of the top three would be available at six. If the Jets had ranked top three as potential FQB then the move is brilliant. As to the fact that Mayfield is not in the top three, well, we have had miles of treads to discuss the pros and cons but suffice is to say many, many NFL professionals, draft experts and fan alike will disagree with you.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  18. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

If Barkley is selected #1 or #2 and the Jets pick the correct pick of Rosen or Darnold, Mayfield will fall to #12 at least. He’s a borderline 1st round pick at best. If that.

19. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

Yes. I believe the rumors are all wrong and made up by Mayfield’s agent.

Noam likes this.
  20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It certainly is possible. I would doubt everything this time of year. But usually when there is smoke there is fire. What we normally see with the NFL draft is that the media's perceptions of where a player will go is pretty far off base early on but as we get closer to the draft the media will gain more insight and players will appear to go up and down but rather it is just the media getting a a more accurate idea of how NFL FOs and scouts perceive players. As we get closer to the draft we get a better idea of where these players will actually go. What we can see of late is quite a lot of momentum for Mayfield and a fall from grace from Rosen. Is this true or not I cannot say but to blindly rule out such evidence as a possibility is to give into bias and arrogance of only believing ones own opinion. We all have opinions and often times we are wrong. Often times more than not. But, if you expect the world to revolve around and accept only your opinion than I would respectfully say you might be in for a lot of disappointment.

On a side note of the big 4 QBs Mayfield has the least well known agent who likely has the least influence in pushing opinions as compared to say a guy like Allen who has Tom Condon. With Lamaar having no agent.

ColoradoContrails likes this.