Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is what I mentioned in my other post. You attribute it to him simply being used to using his arm to overcome it, but I think the problem is that he just doesn't have a good sense of timing and shorter routes don't allow his brain enough time to calculate accurately; deep routes do. Again, I may be full of shit, but that's my sense of it watching him. Can this be fixed? I dunno. Probably improved enough, coupled with his arm strength to get by, but I don't think he'll ever be a great passer in terms of accuracy. That said, I don't think Favre was nor Big Ben to name two, but they made up for it in other ways, and I can see where Allen could be like that also, so maybe taken altogether he's a good fit for them.

2. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

You put Mayfield on that Wyoming team and he’d light it up. I can’t think of anything that Allen does better except throw for distance.

Mainejet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. Can Grande

Can Grande Active Member

If we pick Allen I'm gonna riot!

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Well until he proves to be a stud, then you’ll be posting That’s my QB!!

FJF, Cman68 and Jets69 like this.
  5. SoylentGreen

He’s going to have to improve a lot to be a stud. He’s more of a project than Paxton Lynch right now.

6. abc

abc Well-Known Member

vomit :/

7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I'm starting to come around to him. I thought this way for a while, but think about this. The Jets scouts were at every single game for the top 6 QBs, if he's their guy, you have to go with it, as they are professional scouts and we are just fans.

The big thing with Allen, is that he did play in a pro style offense and has shown he can succeed in poor weather conditions and wind, which is very important for Meadowlands. He puts serious zip on the ball. He also breaks and escapes tackles almost in a big ben type of way, but slight more agile. He's a monster athlete, and did not have a good team around him. It's not like bringing in Sanchez who barely left southern Cali and only started one year in college. People compare him to Hack, but I feel that's a bit unfair. He's the same type of athlete but has more skills, IMO. The accuracy will improve if you surround him with talent.

#147 Sam Hammer, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  8. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

And the idea that he'll bust is therefore even higher. Mac can't afford to gamble on projects any more with a tiny glimmer of hope that maybe some day he'll be as good or better than your average QB. Mac is out of the honeymoon period. If he gets this wrong, he gets fired. Mac needs to take one of the most pro ready QB's in this draft. That's between Rosen and Mayfield. Darnold will be long gone by 3.

SoylentGreen likes this.
  9. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I was thinking the exact same thing.

10. SoylentGreen

Agree. The fact that they moved up after Rosen/Mayfield workouts speaks for itself. I’m pretty excited as I think the Jets are going to get it right this time.

11. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I am not saying that the Jets should draft Allen. However, success is relative. In the four years prior the Cowboys were 15-33. Under Allen they have been 16-11.

12. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I hope your write. I never saw him play except SR. bowl. I really feel if Allen & Mayfield are there at #3 Mac will take Allen. I am keeping an open
    Mind about Allen. Maylock rates him 2nd QB in the Draft behind darnold. I hope Bates has a good say on which QB we take. I am sure he wouldn't Want a QB that doesn't fit his system, or one that he feels he can't coach up. This is the one thing I dislike about Mayfield, how coachable is he, & is he willing to sit a year and learn the game. I think people are scared off by what we went through with Hack, prototypical size big arm accuracy problems. I will trust Bates & Mac to pick our QB. They must have watched tons of tape on these guys and I'm sure they will make the best decision. ...I hope....Their job is on the line.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I agree with others that you don't give up three extra high value picks to take a RB in this day and age.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  14. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

Clearly we covet 3 of them, hence the trade. Unless they have inside info, which you cannot really trust at this point.

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Will Allen be able to play and win in 2018 (doesn’t have to be week 1)?

If the answer is no (which I believe), why would Maccagnan draft him with his job on the line?

I believe the kid was sheltered in Wyoming and will be a deer in headlights in NY.
    People reference his questionable football processing power, I believe it will diminish with the cameras clicking and the stands filled with more than 4K people.

Rosen all day.

16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Could Allen really be rated over Mayfield? I would believe it. But trading up for him or Mayfield is a huge mistake.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Wyoming would consider him a very successful QB.
    That's why I asked him to define his criteria for being a successful QB, and have received no response.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me why Rosen is so poor on the road?
    Literally no wins in 2017, and bad performances throughout his career.

What makes you think he can play well in NE or Buff, or even under the pressure and elements in NY?
    We are a long way from southern california, and he hasn't proved he can play well outside of there.

In terms of Allen, the 'people referecning his questionable football processing power' are only people on this board.
    He is more suited to handle the elements in NY than the other prospects, and I think has the strength in character to handle the negativity of this town.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  20. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

I'm somehow not worried about the whole thing. It seems to me the management has a firm plan in place and knows what it's doing. They've been scouting, doing their homework and they certainly have A,B and C options. As I said before, I think Mac likes Rosen the most, I'd personally prefer Mayfield but meh.