Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

My problem with Allen is that the same excuses made for Hacknberg are being made now. I don’t know how you can say with certainty that Allen will succeed when he really has done nothing different from a statistical standpoint + from many accounts he is erratic + misses easy throws just throwing around in warmups.

Nothing worse than a qb dripping back 3 times in a series and going 0-3 (punt). That’s the kind of qb Allen is going to be regardless whether he turns in to a decent pro. He’s going to be big throw followed by several crap throws...

2. SoylentGreen

With a name like Browning Nagle, I totally get why you would like Allen.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

What size are you? Do you have a varsity jacket by any chance?

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  4. SoylentGreen

Agree with this... but the question becomes - why would you take a chance with a guy like this at pick 3?

rohirrim665 likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I wouldn't, my preferences are Darnold then Rosen then Mayfield then Allen. But it's so hard to predict how well a college QB will do in the NFL that I'm not going to freak out if we take Allen.

Walt White likes this.
  6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Mac is not taking a project like Josh Allen at 3. He doesn't fit in the offense we're installing. He's the type of kid that may not just need to sit one year, but almost two years before getting handed the reigns anywhere. Mac is looking for someone more polished, with more accuracy, who can play and produce quicker. It doesn't make sense us going for Allen at 3. Heck Allen may have been there at 6

7. SoylentGreen

Agree with this too. I will assume the Jets did their homework + gladly eat crow if he turns into a stud.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'll gladly eat crow if he turns into a stud, but I won't assume the Jets did their homework because we're talking about the Jets here.

SoylentGreen likes this.
  9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I watched a few games. I may not be a Wyoming fan like you. I also haven’t seen the other top prospects play week in and week out either. I was hyped to see him play well against a typically stout Iowa D, he fell flat. He played like shit against Oregon as well. He never really impressed me.

Allen is a project. He is a big bodied QB with a big arm. Allen did not play top competition. When he played decent teams he looked very subpar. He is just too raw and has only completed 20 or more passes twice in his career.

His accuracy is lacking and so is his footwork. Those two things are pretty big to me. Allen is a 56% passer and he practically played for a D2 school. 56% is absolutely garbage and in this day and age it is inexcusable. Allen will not become more accurate upon entering the league.

I want no part of him. He has so much to see and do to even get on the same level as the top 3 prospects. Just because he can throw 70 yards and run a 4.7 40 yard dash does not mean he is cut out to be an NFL QB.

I would really like to see his wonderlic score because I’m willing to bet he scored lower than Rosen and Darnold. I don’t think the kid is a natural leader. He comes off as the type that hypes up his team like Andy Dalton.

He comes off as timid. On his biggest stage to date, the Senior Bowl, he looked like he was in shock. Allen started out with a subpar performance and had to worm his way back onto the field to save face.

I don’t think he is an X and Os guy with a winning pedigree. I don’t think he can succeed here in NY. He reeks of Hackenberg 2.0. Except I think Hackenberg has much more tenacity.

Allen on the Jets would be a disaster. Sitting behind Big Ben for 3 years or Philip Rivers? That is probably another story. I just don’t personally like him and don’t think he will be a successful QB.

#189 Martin&theJETS, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  10. I'm not so sure it matters if they're a project or not b.c everything is basically set up for the rookie to sit year 1.Short of Allen needing more than 1 year(which I don't see) it's really no different than taking Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield in terms of when they'll see the field. Frankly I think every one of them could benefit from sitting for one reason or another. Many fans wont wanna hear that & its understandable but it makes sense on too many fronts.

We gave up what we did not for next season but for the long haul. Let whoever we take sit & develop for a year while Mccown & Bridgewater play w. the crumby OL/Surrounding cast. Hopefully they get some garbage time play and/or start meaningless games in December. Then we can go into next offseason looking to build around the QB we drafted a year ago who should then be ready to take the starting reigns w. no strings attached while the FO/Staff will have a much better idea of the right pieces to put around the youngster.

11. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I still have my reservations about the trade but I will go along with the premise that we could land our future franchise QB.

From what I have gathered, I hope they are not interested in Allen. Accuracy issues are not worth a 3rd overall pick. I think Mac is hoping it will be Rosen or Darnold there at 3, but they will settle for Mayfield if they must. I get the feeling that Mac would much prefer Rosen or Darnold, but is prepared for the worst case scenario that it'll have to be Mayfield. He's got to be really hoping Barkley won't get passed up by Giants or Browns.

12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I keep reading people calling him Hack 2.0.

It’s so stupid. This tells me people literally haven’t watched much tape of this kid. If at all.

That statement makes me dismiss any reasonable opinion and view you or anyone else that have proclaimed him to be, Hack 2.0

Literally, doesn’t make any fucking sense and it’s lazy. I feel like this was a meme at one point and someone took it seriously, then the ignorance just spread at some point.

I only see Jet fans making these statements.

I want to say it’s annoying but it’s just lazy and sad mostly.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've called him Hack 2.0, and I admit it's probably harsh. Not that it will make you agree with it any more, when I used it, it was in the spirit of Anything 2.0 - that is, the improved model. In that sense I acknowledge that Allen is better than Hack, but his accuracy issues are scarily reminiscent of Hack. Is he as bad? No, but how can a top rated QB miss so many throws? I know, you've given reasons, and I'm sure they're valid to some degree, but I keep coming back to the fact that if he's produced this body of work with the level of competition he's faced, how can we expect him to do better against much, MUCH better players?

I'll refrain from the Hack 2.0 tag, but I'll retain my skepticism.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  14. SoylentGreen

What game/games do you want us to watch?

I’ve watched them all and haven’t seen a complete game in any of them. He makes 1-2 spectacular throws per game. The rest of his throws are 50% good and 50% bad.

I can’t imagine a qb this erratic having success at the NFL level.

15. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I think they are similar as prospects.
    People have linked us to Allen because of Macs interest in big bodied QBs with strong arms. Hack is one, so is Allen.

Allen is more similar to Hackenberg than he is to McCown or Bridgewater. Allen is more similar to Hackenberg than Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield.

Tell me, why do you think Allen is so unlike Hackenberg? Other than the fact that Allen has a 1st round grade and Hack was a day 3 prospect?

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Lol I didn't say I liked him. I don't, I was just asking a question. But that's funny

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the bold be enough?. For one athleticism, Hack is a statue. Second, mechanics; Allen has solid footwork and throwing motion. Hack is still tinkering with his mechanics. Third, arm talent and strength; Hack is above average in this department but he is not the freak that Allen is.

18. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Id say Allens floor is still better than Hackenberg. Probably Blake Bortles is his floor and Big Ben or Stafford is his ceiling. Joe Flacco is probably closest pro comparision right now.

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

buffalo could still try and move to 2 if the giants are willing to deal

20. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

yeah but trading 3 second round picks does not hint at taking a project player. would be disappointed to find out we did all that just to experiment on a QB...

that's why I feel Mac feels very confident taking one of the 2 QB's whose pro day he attended last week. Cant see him making this trade without knowing he's assured one of the 2 guys he visited...

If he wasn't he would've move up higher or waited until after he seen Darnold and Allen.

IMO.