Charlie Casserly: Jets could be facing Ryan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ScotlandJet, Apr 24, 2008.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This is definitely the gayest post I've ever read on here.

2. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

I agree, people that say that sound like losers. I don't ever want to lose a game, no matter what. So you wanted us to be worse last year? stop sounding like a bunch of losers and have somre pride.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Ryan is absolutely the type of player that both Mangini and Shoty covet. He is Chad and Brees with better size, more mobility and a better arm that isn't damaged. Not my favorite but I could see them drafting him in a heartbeat.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This might end up becoming a blessing in disguise. If we like Ryan as much as the rumors suggest then we take him and solve the biggest question mark on the team. If it is a smokescreen we trade the pick to a team that does love him and stockpile some picks.

Everyone assumes that we will just be happy if one of the three(McFadden, Gholston, LOng) are available. I'm not so sure that is the case, I think we have a clear favorite and that guy is McFadden. If he isn't available I could see them either taking Ryan or trading the pick regardless of who else is available.

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

McFadden gives us the biggest bang this year but not necessarily long term. It really depends how they view this year?

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

If Ryan is all that is left at 6, we draft him with the illusion that he is our man, and perhaps teams like Baltimore and Carolina will freak if he is the guy they really want and up their offers to pry him away from us.

7. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

I think we will pass on Ryan regardless of the situation. He's just not an Elite QB and we have 2 guys fighting for the starting job as it is...taking him in any scenario just doesn't make sense.

My guess is that the Ravens will take him. They cant risk not getting him or Brohm. The fans would burn Baltimore Harbor the ground, which is a shame because it's nice and has good places to eat.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I really don't see us needing to worry much about Ryan if we stay on the 6 pick. Atlanta has needs that are so obvious (Joey Harrington starting for them last year?) and are in full rebuilding mode after a terrible season. They'll take Ryan unless somebody wants to overpay either them or St. Louis to trade up for him.

The scenario that has me mildly worried is that the Jets might make a terrible move and trade up for Ryan.

9. lightning

lightning Active Member

He's not an elite QB? He's receiving the same grade as the 2004 Qb's...

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

If we are facing Ryan i'm fine with it.

Its not a win now year, they are good for the next 2, and with one winning season in those 2 years they will be extended to 4 years (2011).

With the QBs we have- who the hell is leading this team to the Playoffs?? No one. I will give Clemens this season to prove himself, but i'd like a QB who is capable to lead in the waiting- like Matt Ryan.

You build an O-Line like ours for anyone to succeed behind in the running game- thats also why you hire Bill Callahan, a highly underrated hire for the CS. Awesome position coach, not a HC guy.

We need the franchise QB, that is what's missing right now- the field general. Ryan has those intangibles- he is a pure leader and winner. His interviews show a Peyton-like determination, and a comfortable poise when in front of a camera as if he is a 10 year veteran. I fully expect him to be a color analyst after his career, he is that charismatic and knowledgable. Why do you think we gave him what we did when we worked him out? Draft Diligence and to see if he could be behind Mangold.

Is it scary to take a QB this high? Yes is a huge risk/reward factor. But with what he brings to the table- it may be worth it.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I can only see them passing if they want to use the 2nd round picks to move up and get Flacco or Henne- those two are reportedly getting 1st round grades when previously they would have been 2nd round picks.

12. lightning

lightning Active Member

And who's to say that Ryan can't make an impact year one? He has the poise, leadership and smarts IMO, to come in at some point this season and play well. We probably won't make the playoffs but we will be looking good going into '09.

13. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I think if Gholston,Dorsey and McFadden are gone, the Jets should field all calls for the pick. I wonder how much leverage they have because everybody will know they want to jump out of this spot? Yes, the Ravens covet Ryan, but I'm sure they'd be willing to take Sedrick Ellis. The Panthers are the best bet. Delhomme is coming off surgery, and frankly they need a future QB worst.

14. Br4d

There's no guarantee for the Falcons that either Flacco, Henne or Brohm will be there at the top of the 2nd round. Flacco and Henne in particular are starting to look like ed of 1st round picks. Brohm is a poor man's Ryan and would be a big step down for the Falcons if the took him in the early 30's.

I suspect that Atlanta is staring at Ryan and praying that somebody offers then a trade down to the end of the top 10 or early teens at the latest.

15. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

Ryan over skinny legs, upright running, no base at all, built like a wide out, only dangerous in the flats, bound to be injured half the year, not welcome on a team who already has solid RBs like Leon (who is a home run hitter) and Jones .......McFadden. Mendenhall over both, and Golston or Long over a RB or a QB.

There, Ive said all I have to say.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Re-read the post. I said the will take the picks and move up and get one of those guys, if thats what they are doing. Trading up is must if they want those guys.

17. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Trading UP for Ryan...

This is a very bad idea. We need more draft picks, not less.

Ryan is certainly not worth a $20 million guarantee for his 08 play and not likely for his 09 play either.

Now people are talking about ADDING to the $20 million guarantee additional draft picks so we can pay a higher guarantee to Ryan?

It would be more valuable for the NYJ to trade down and get MORE draft picks.

More draft picks would enable the NYJs to spend their rookie money more wisely, in my opinion.

18. ........

........ Trolls

That's the genius of releasing info this week that they're very interested in him. The timing makes it seem like it's something they've been trying to guard, rather than information they've been spouting for weeks trying to deceive. The other thing you have to account for is that other teams know that Baltimore would take him if he fell. Carolina could trade up. Even the Bears could conceivably trade up.

19. ........

........ Trolls

No one (in this thread anyway) is suggesting that WE trade up for Ryan. They're talking about the possibility of another team trading up for him, or Atlanta moving back into the 1st round to take a QB.

20. Br4d

It won't be a total disaster if they take Ryan on the 6, although there are a lot of better moves at that point. It would be a disaster if they traded up to take Ryan though. He's really not good enough to justify a top 10 pick, let alone a trade into the top 5 for him. He's a marginally better prospect than Chad was the year he came out and probably is about the 11th or 12th most valuable player in this draft, particularly given that there are 2 or 3 people who have low 1st/high second grades and another handful with mid-round grades.