Chan Gailey New Offensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 13, 2015.

1. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Cool. I have another name to add to your list

Chan Gailey (OC Jets) lost 3 Super Bowls with Denver and lost 1 Super Bowl with Pittsburgh

p.s. Bowles won a Super Bowl as the starting free safety for the Redskins

2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Not as a coordinator or HC. As a coordinator he made it to one Super Bowl, twenty-five years ago, and lost by 40. Since then, he had another decade (10 years) of chances as head coach and/or offensive coordinator in the NFL and he never got back. He also had six years as a recent head coach in college and he never came close to winning his conference (and it's not like he was in the SEC).

That's exciting. So did Brad Edwards and Mark Murphy. I don't think either of them are the most qualified head coaching candidates in the NFL either.

EDIT: Listen, I don't hate the guy. He's just not the most-qualified possible candidate. And I think we should be hiring the most-qualified possible candidate rather than dicking-around with young unknowns. Woody has more money than god and has made so much money with this team that it's actually painful to think about. He should be asking "Who is the best football coach on the planet?" and then asking that person how much money would it take to get you to run my team for the next five years ... and then give him that money and get out of his way.

#262 Unhappyjetsfan, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    NYJetsO12, Jets69 and jetsons like this.
  3. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Y are you a jets fan it seems like all u do is shit on everything they do

4. Unhappyjetsfan

I thought the Curtis Martin signing was delightful.

stinkyB and Axel3419 like this.
  5. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Well as an OC in '97 he lost to Elway in the championship game by only 3 points, 24-21, which is a bit closer to the Super Bowl than the 23-10 loss that the hall of fame duo Bill Parcells and Bellichik got for us against the same team the next year. But you said getting to the championship game was good enough in itself so let's not split hairs.

You said you wanted champions. Bowles is a champion. So are those other guys but (in case you missed it) Bowles is the most qualified HC candidate because he's one of the top two most respected DC in the NFL right now. By the way, Mark Murphy is the CEO/president of the Packers but nice try anyway.

#265 74, Jan 15, 2015
  6. Unhappyjetsfan

So he is! You learn something every day.

7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Hate to break it to you but Bellichik doesn't want to coach the Jets and I'm pretty sure it's not a money issue.

I don't see you offering any realistic alternatives. Clearly you wanted Quinn? The only other available person that fits your criteria for HC is John Fox and he declined an interview with us.

8. Unhappyjetsfan

True. So you move on to the next most-qualified guy. And if he won't come under any circumstances? Then you go to the next most-qualified.

No, he's a flavor-of-the-month candidate, not unlike Bowles. I want someone who has had great success, for an extended period of time, despite average-or-worse quarterbacks.

Fox would have been a very shrewd choice. He went to a Super Bowl with Jake Delhomme. He won a playoff game with Tim Tebow. He finally got a great QB the last two years and he went to the Super Bowl last year and had the best team in the league until he got hurt this year. I don't believe he declined to interview (LINK), but even if he did ... that's your job as the owner - don't take "no" for an answer. Make him talk to you. Go to his house if you have to. Make it known that money is not an issue.

9. hardcharger

hardcharger Trolls

Yeah, I don't blame you, being stuck on a dime is really popular with Jets fans!

10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I think Bowles was a good hire and here's why. He was an UDFA FS that ended up playing 8 seasons and winning a SB. He has experience as a player personnel executive in Green Bay. He's not a young up and comer, he's 51 and has almost two decades of experience as a coach starting as a DC in college. He made it back to the NFL as a secondary coach, his bread and butter - which happens to be the weakest area of this team right now. he was an assistant HC for four seasons and had a 2-1 record as an interim HC after taking over a 4-9 team. When he replaced Castillo mid season as DC for the Eagles he was so impressive that Bruce Arians hired him to be his DC the next year. Arians raves about his teaching/coaching abilities. In Arizona he's become one of the most respected coordinators in the league by players and coaches alike. The cardinals rode his defense to the playoffs this year despite significant injuries on D and bottom of the barrel QB play. He nailed the interviews for us, really wants to be here, has the character this team needs, and we didn't want to risk waiting for any longer. It was a solid and timely selection. He's bringing in Chan to run the offense, which is fine at the least and potentially very good - he's been outta the NFL for two years, get over it, he has a very accomplished resume as an OC and brings us a modernized system of scoring points. People are freaking out just because he is 63 - he will be fine, Pete Carrol is 62, ok, nobody is freaked out about that. The overwhelming consensus in the football world is that this is as solid a hire that could be made right now and that Bowles is more than deserving of being a HC. Anybody shitting on it at this point in time is just complaining for the sake of complaining.

#270 74, Jan 15, 2015
    JoeyStylez and PulseJet like this.
  11. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Just.Fuck.You.

Saban can't make it happen in the NFL, but more importantly...
    my fiancee is a Buckeye Bunny. If Meyer came here, I'd be humping my fist for a decade.

No Thank you

(P.S. recruiting aint the same as FA)

12. Unhappyjetsfan

Sometimes it works (Pete Carroll, Jimmy Johnson). Sometimes it doesn't (Steve Spurrier).

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

This is a totally misinformed post. There's a lot of that going around.

I am not going to do your research for you. Check where Chicago's running game ranked, stacked my ass. Or that key receivers were hurting. How about that OL? Not to mention the Bears' D. And how did ownership feel about the CS and GM?

Cutler's contract was too big. And he's being scapegoated as a result. But he was NOT even one of the significant reasons why the Bears were bad this past year.

14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Gailey hasn't beeen in the league in two years he is 63 years old and his best days are behind him.Who wants a 63 year old cooridnator I rather have a younger guy who is trying to be inovative.Guys like Gailey are stubborn and don't change the way they do things even if it fails

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I see a lot of people upset that Gailey has been home mowing the lawn for the past two years. I understand why that looks bad, and agree with the concern. That said, it is a concern based on circumstantial evidence entirely lacking in context.

What are the football reasons to be concerned about his hiring? I don't buy any argument concerning his tenure as a head coach since it has been proven ad nauseum that a terrible head coach can be a great coordinator in this league. Also, I see several comments that his offensive scheme is dated... where is the proof of this, besides the fact that he's been on an extended vacation?

My initial reaction to the hiring was pessimism, and the time off definitely fueled that reaction. Everything I've seen since then though has seemed either cautiously optimistic or pessimistic without hard evidence for the pessimism. What am I missing?

16. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

45 years of darksidedness.

xxedge72x likes this.
  17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

2 years off probably does a good recharge.

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Didn't work for Dick Vermeil. He should have stated at home and saved the Rams the trouble of having to decide whether the Super Bowl championship was due more to him or mike Martz.

FJF likes this.
  19. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Well said. Both Bowles and Chan have shown that they can get production from their roster, even when its hit by injuries and/or lacking talent. As for Chan, I like the move. Unlike a guy like Shanahan, Chan likely isn't looking to be a HC again, he will be a happy to serve the Jets as OC and support of our new HC and offer advise as he was a HC himself. I am also very satisfied with the way Woody conducted the whole process. He saw that Idzik wasn't getting it done, and Rex wasn't growing as a HC. He acknowledged his mistakes by getting strong outside advisors, bit the bullet, made the changes that had to be made and now the Jets are ready to move forward. I'm looking forward to Free Agency and the Draft.

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm going to stay positive on every move the new regime makes until they give me a reason to feel otherwise.

Snatch Catch and Burnz like this.