Chad's Job Security This Year and Beyond.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe W. Namath, Aug 21, 2007.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Didn't Eli take the Giants to the playoffs both years he started?

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

yes and? weren't the Giants the biggest underachievers in the league last year? I know you don't think Chad is a great QB and I don't either but are you really going to try to make the case that him and Manning are equal at this point in their careers?

3. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

With that said I would still take Eli over Chad. Especially with Mangini coaching him and Schotty designing the plays.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

They were 8-8 in a HORRIBLE conference last year. How can you even bring that up? :lol: 5 teams who missed the playoffs in the AFC were better than the Giants.

5. winstonbiggs

Chad played on a better team than Eli and had two and a half years on the bench. Manning has 54 TD passes at this point Chad played in 12 games with 22 TD passes. Chad had a great 3/4 of 1 year at this point in Eli's career. The Giants had tons of injuries last year and aren't all that strong in terms of veteran leadership. The Jets had a good veteran club a much better OL when Chad started and a much calmer team situation. Really hard to compare.

6. JIMsection323

JIMsection323 New Member

so if chad wins 10-12 games this year and takes us to the AFC championship not good enough?

7. winstonbiggs

That would be great, I don't see it this year. What if he takes us to 10 & 6 and we don't make the playoffs or 9 & 7 or even 7 & 9?

#147 winstonbiggs, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Chad has never won more than 10 games with the Jets. Chad has never taken the Jets to the AFC championship game.

If he does both of those things I would expect the criticisms of his arm to die down afterwards. Don't hold your breath though.

9. Br4d

10-6 we would make the playoffs and the questions would still be there if the Jets lost to an elite team as they have inevitably done over the last 5 seasons.

9-7 and no playoffs and Chad is a goner.

7-9 and Chad is replaced mid-season.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don't think record comes into play with Chad. He will be replaced as soon as Mangini feels there is a better option to win games.

You have to feel that Clemens has closed the gap some with his solid preseason so far but in my eyes at least he still has a long way to go.

11. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Seeing how the Jets have only won more than 10 games 3 times since 1960 and have only won 10 games in a season 6 times (2 with Chad during a time when one team in the division has won 3 superbowls and basically dominated the league) history of the team, I don't think this argument holds water. But I guess Chad is the blame for everything since the team was so successful the previous 4 decades.

12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Based on last year's performance, our current schedule probably dictates a 9+7 year, all things being equal (lack of injuries, etc.). If we get lucky and some of our younger talent devolops into what we think they are, we could achieve 10+6 or 11+5. If so, Penny remains.

But Clemens has made a mark for himself, so it remains to be seen how well Penny does looking over his shoulder. He's never been terrific at being under any kind of pressure, IMO. He's never been challenged by a real contender, unless you want to consider Jay Feidler or Brooks Bollinger or the aging Vinnie Testaverde a legitimate threat.

13. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

in 2002, the jet's had a strong overall team and won 10 games with chad having his best 3/4 season surprising teams that didn't have much film of him to study.

last year the jet's won 10 games in spite of him. good coaching/game plans, weak schedule and no major injuries. i say in spite of chad b/c look at what he really did last year. average to below average season for a qb. unless you think 16 td's and 17 interceptions is a good season???

overall, if you look at his career, he's been nothing but a smart average qb that has had some success but just never good enough to be in the upper echelon of the league. teams will stack the line of scrimmage even if the jet's have a good running game b/c they have no respect for noodle arm to beat them over the top and thats why chad can't beat the better coached/talented teams in the league.....

and that's why he will never bring us to a afc championship game. even though we almost made it in spite of him against pitt. if we had an old vinny, we would have won that game....

14. Br4d

How do you know how many games the Jets SHOULD have won in 2004 with the 4th ranked defense and the league's leading rusher?

They went 8-5 with Chad and 2-1 with Quincy Carter so I have this feeling that a better QB might have won 12 games with that. Don't ya think?

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Well, with Chad, probably they dont let LJ try to throw in the EZ against Baltimore, so Chad prob goes 3-0 over Carters 2-1.....and if the DEFENSE didnt take the last night of the season off...thats 12....

16. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Just pointing out the facts. Reading this board you would think that the Jets have always won 12 games a season. You want Chad to do something that really hasn't happened in the past. If you think we win 10 games last year without Chad you are just not being objective or realistic.

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Who is talking of a NYG championship flag?

Because from watching that NYG/BR game the NYGs DL is far, far superior to our OL

Again remember to get back to me after the 09 season when there is still no NYJ CHAMPIONSHIP FLAG hanging from the stadium & no VL trophy at Hempstead or our new home.

18. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

If he does this it would be more than good enough for him to keep his job. Unfortunately we play in a conference with the Chargers, Patriots and Ravens and have a real schedule on paper this year. We will Probably be 0-2 after the first two games vs the Ravens and Patriots. Chad is good enough to get a team that is good on both sides of the ball to the playoffs but when we play against the great team he is not good enough to make it to the next level. Unfortunately we play in a time with three Great teams in the Afc and some other teams that are better than us as well. We have to upgrade the Qb position as well as both of our lines to have a chance to advance past the first round.

19. championjets69

Please remember to get back to me after the 09 season when there is still no NYJ CHAMPIONSHIP FLAG hanging from the stadium & no VL trophy at Hempstead or our new home.

20. championjets69

Please remember to get back to me after the 09 season when there is still no NYJ CHAMPIONSHIP FLAG hanging from the stadium & no VL trophy at Hempstead or our new home.