Chad WILL Be The Starter. Again.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Lantern, Mar 4, 2008.

1. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

Mark me down for Chad. I always said that with a real Oline and Dline Chad could take us to the promise land. This of course depends on if Chad doesnt sustain yet another injury (if he does, put me in the high draft pick for a QB in 2009 boat). Clemens has shown me absolutely nothing but a strong arm and consistant inaccurate throwing under pressure.

2. Yndjamw

Yndjamw New Member

Chad is the wrong move. You cannot make a late game comeback with Chad. If we are ever going to be trailing in the 2nd half, having Chad automatically buries us, because once we can no longer run, they just sit back and pick the ball off. I've seen it for four years and it makes me sick. It can't keep happening

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Mangini wouldn't recognize a good QB if one kicked him in the nutz. This, along with the fact that Mangini evidently hasn't seen sht out of Clemens, just tells me Chad is a CYA/Fallback position.

This franchise is snakebit...

#183 Cman68, Jul 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Attributing the 3 wins to Clemens is just flat unfair - the Defense did half the work, and the opposing team did the other. Kellen did just as much as Chad did. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact of the matter is that teams were running on DSlob at will, and were ahead before you knew it. Playing catch-up is not Chad's main forte - and this fact didn't help his portfolio last year.

Ok. Attributing the losses to Chad/Kellen is unfair in a sense, but my point is just that you shouldn't use Kellen's 3 wins vs Chad's 1 win as the merit to Kellen - true, the D has failed them a lot in defeat, but the D came through in those wins more than anything. It's not the QB play that made the difference.

2. I don't know what Mangini saw during the TC - make that twice actually, he did it twice including last year's one - but he must have had his reasons to choose against Kellen - not once, but TWICE. This is how things stand now: If Kellen can't beat out Chad this year, (and we ALL know how god-awful Chad is) Kellen is exceptionally useless. For the love of all that is holy, this QB with stronger arm can't even beat out a QB that has his throwing arm basically dangling on a piece of bandaid. Tells a lot about how smart that kid is, right? *I must say I was impressed neither with his decision making nor his accuracy last year - throwing Pick-6 to Eugene Wilson on the VERY FIRST pass attempt, or consistently spraying the ball all over the field straight to the turf, for instance.* If this is the case, the team has to go for a franchise QB next year, or groom Ainge for the future QB.

#184 Zach, Jul 25, 2008
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Incorrect. This is the first true season Kellen has been given the chance to compete for the job. It was unreasonable to assume that a rookie HC was going to start a rookie 2nd round QB over a veteran, and last offseason Mangini announced Chad had the job during the combine. Kellen has never really had much of a chance to compete during the offseason.

6. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

In my opinion, arguing about the QB before you KNOW there's a dominating, vicious offensive line that OWNS the line of scrimmage is a waste of breath.

Haven't you guys ever wondered what it would be like to OWN the other team, no matter what they try to do? I mean OWN their OL on the line of scrimmage and CONTROL their defense with blood all over their mouth on the line of scrimmage.

This is what it takes to win in the NFL, consistently. Not scrape by by the width of the plaque on your teeth because you're lucky that day. Not bend all day but not break EVERY time.

What is needed is an offensive line that creates those three second holes CONSISTENTLY. What is needed is a defense that doesn't give the quarterback more than 1.5 seconds.

You guys have been on the other end of so many games where this happened to US instead of them, you don't remember what it feels like.

Get used to the idea. It's actually possible.

It is what we should be doing every Sunday.

Not hoping for a damned miracle.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

We had that before with Chad and his arm still sucked.

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I don't wonder about it because there have been about 3 teams in the last 50 years that actually did that.

9. lobacz87

lobacz87 New Member

honestly...i like both guys and now that Favre is available everyone is acting like they both suck...Chad was rreally good in that second game against the Pats, we were back in it but Mccareins couldnt stay in bounds in the endzone and we had to settle for that field goal. That was a perfectly thrown ball for a guy who sat on the bench pretty much all season. Kellen had a great second half against Baltimore, that game should have been at least tied but it wasnt thanks to 81 again. Did you think that was a fluke?...Baltimore boasts one of the most feared and dominating defenses in the league. He had no running game, no blocking and recievers dropped ball on him. For an inexperienced guy, what did you want? He needs a fair shot. One last thing on Chad, I think everyone makes WAY too much of a big deal about his arm strength. One person in the media goes and critiques his arm strength and with the way the world and the media are these days, it sticks. Cris Carter goes on Inside the NFL and makes fun of Pennington, soon hes known for having a "water pistol" arm. It wasnt a problem when he was winning us games. How about that pass in the playoffs to Santana? He had a hurt shoulder and still threw it 50 in the air. I mean yea its one example, but he is capable of making big plays. So funny how he went from being a "touch" passer like Montana when he was winning and a weak armed backup when he was losing. Nice loyalty. The guy has shown nothing but balls and class, the polar opposite of what the majority of NFL players put out on the field. I just feel that too much is made about the arm issue. I would be happy with either guy as our QB.

10. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

So I guess you think it's just too hard to try to become that dominating so we shouldn't even try for it.

Those things -- 1.5 seconds of throwing time, blood on the mouth of our OL / DL -- will keep happening to the NYJs until we do something to completely reverse it in our favor.

11. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

What happens if Kellen or Chad get to play behind a dominating OL and a savage Defense keeps giving them the ball?

I, for one, would love to find out.

12. scoochydawg

scoochydawg Active Member

I'd rather see Chad this season. He may not be awesome, but I think he's better then Kellen. With a good O-line he is definitively the better QB.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

And your litmus for Kellen with a good o-line is ... ? No one knows.

14. scoochydawg

scoochydawg Active Member

I personally think Chad will be better with a good O-line. He has much more experience and accuracy, those 2 things give Chad the edge.

15. lobacz87

lobacz87 New Member

thats what im saying...both guys have the potential to be very successful if this team plays like it should...

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

THE QB POSITION IS PART OF THE TEAM! PART OF HAVING A DOMINATING TEAM IS BEING ABLE TO SCORE ON THE OPPOSITION FROM ANY POINT ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD AT ANY TIME.

You want a smash mouth team with a punch and Judy QB. I want a smash mouth team that wears teams out and throws a knockout punch when they have to. Smash mouth football is a mind set and a cerebral QB with a pussy arm that realise on play fakes to create space to throw the ball is not part of that mindset. Good smash mouth teams have the ability to drop back protect and throw over a tired D that's cheating up.

Think about it if you want OL men that are dominating not "ballet dancers" why do you want a QB with that mind set of a ballet dancer?

When you stop picking Chad on your fantasy football team you might get it.

#196 winstonbiggs, Jul 25, 2008
  17. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

I'll give Clemens more of a chance than I gave Browning Nagle at the same point in his career.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I'd agree with this; Let's see... Bart Starr wasn't pass happy like Brady is or Peyton Manning is - but when he went to the air, he went deep. He actually had the arm to deliver the ball deep accurately in time. That's something Pennington isn't well known for - yeah, he can deliver the ball accurately, but IN TIME? I don't think so. Buh-bye Chad.

P.S. In the meantime, Clemens should learn how to position his clipboard correctly, because he'd be holding on to it as long as his career takes him.

19. jets1960

jets1960 New Member

With Chad we,ll go 8-8. YAWN! Let's take a chance with Kellen and see what we have.

20. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

Favre will be the starter. Chad will be gone. And Clemens will be on the bench with Ainge.