Chad Reuter's nfl.com 4-Round Mock Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Mar 26, 2024.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://www.nfl.com/news/four-round...wers-chiefs-trade-up-for-speedster-in-round-1

He has the Jets talking the following:

10. Brock Bowers, TE
    72. Jeremiah Trotter, Jr. LB
    111. Chris Braswell, Edge
    135. Dadrion Taylor - Demerson, S

How SOJ and freaking awful would that be? This team needs a major infusion of talent on offense, NOT defense. With the stupid ass new hip drop rule, the league is going to become even more an offensive league. He may need to take a SS in the 4th round to back up Chuck Clark, but every other pick should be used on offense. If he comes out of this draft with anything less than 2 OL, at least 1 WR and a S, this draft will be a failure, and he should be fired.

If this is JD's draft, we need to storm One Jets Way, beat the living hell out of JD, and take him out to the Jersey Pine Barrens and leave him for the Jersey Devil to take.

2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

If Trotter is there at 72 and we have that pick, I'm for taking him.

Agree that Bowers at TE would be a wasteful use of resources. Could be wrong of course.

ouchy likes this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Saw that draft and hated it…no way we go defense with three of our first four picks.

Sometimes you see these mocks and the guys doing them are clueless

I don’t want a TE at 10 and don’t want the next three picks to be defense…this mock totally ignores our two biggest needs at OT and WR

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

scoring was down something like 6 points from 2022 IIRC…for what it’s worth.

but yes jets need infusion of talent on offense

5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of this. The Jets need another OT b/c their two starting OTs are injury prone and are under 1-year contracts. They need a long-term OT solution.

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah clearly whoever did that draft had no idea on the Jets…probably was just doing some sort of highest rated player at each pick without really any effort into what the actual team picking in that slot would need or want to do…

Worthless exercise

7. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Yeah, I get the offensive focus this year, but I wouldn’t hate Trotter in the second round. I’d have to know who else was available, but his upside is sky-high and his downside is still really good. I’d take a flyer on Trotter over a JAG offensive player any day of the week. And, if Bowers is available at 10, I’ve yet to read a sensible explanation, on this site or elsewhere, why you’d ever pass on that kid. No offensive player in this draft had more impact in all of college football. If there were no Brock Bowers, UGA wouldn’t have two national championships.

AtlantaJet, blackssmagic and abyzmul like this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets are gong to need to replace Mosley sooner or later and that position is important. Trotter could play outside for a year and move inside when it's time to move on.

Bowers is a no-brainer. You don't pass on elite talent at 10, ever. I'd take Garrett Wilson over one of those guards that went by early in 2022.

#8 abyzmul, Mar 26, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  9. NCJetsfan

You'd pass on him because there is no way that Smith will play 17 games. We'll be lucky to get 10-12 games out of him. We don't have a competent backup behind him, and there's not much left in FA. We also don't have a young OT on the roster who is worth a damn and we need to get a future starter, who if possible, will also be Smith's backup this season and can learn from Smith and Moses. In addition, the upgrade from Conklin (if Bowers would be able to beat him out) would not be that much, but the upgrade from Warren or Mitchell would be huge! Also, aside from G. Wilson and M. Williams our WR corps isn't very good. Williams isn't likely to play the whole season, and may not be ready for TC. We also need another WR for next year. JD has to think about the future and not just this season.

Taking a LB in the 2nd or 3rd round would be criminal malfeasance. We don't need a LB. Enough is enough with the defense. The only defensive player we should take is a S if we don't re-sign A. Davis. We need multiple receivers and OL depth, a RB (if we don't sign a veteran), and a developmental QB.

BradysTornACL likes this.
  10. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Good thing he isn’t making the picks

11. Sundayjack

I’ve STILL yet to read a sensible explanation, on this site or elsewhere, why you’d ever pass on a kid like Brock Bowers. I'll give you one, though. If Joe Alt is available at #10. I'm assuming he wouldn't be, but if he were, there's at least a sensible reason. Maybe Taliese Fuaga, but anyone making that argument is basing it mostly on what other people are saying. Oregon State isn't a team you'd go out of your way to watch any more than one or two complete games. It's a team you watch when your flipping between several games.

Beyond that, you and Mrs. Conklin might be the only two people who think Brock Bowers is only a slight upgrade over her wonderful boy Tyler. Bowers is three steps faster, quicker, has better hands, better after the catch, has better. . . geezus, why go on. Everything. Conklin has more bulk. So, there's that. But the bigger point here is - any GM or headcoach who'd consider having Brock Bowers and Tyler Conklin compete for the same TE role needs find new work and stop wasting everyone's time. Likewise, if they were to pass on a talent like Bowers in favor of a shiny-new JAG that fills a position of greater need.

LAJet, AtlantaJet, mezzavo and 2 others like this.
  12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

TE isn't necessarily an exciting pick but it can be... if you're not the Jets. We don't do so well with TE's.

I know... different regimes, different eras, etc, but results seem to be consistent for the Jets through both of those things.

I'd be more comfortable with the pick if the QB situation was more solidified. We know who the starter is and what he's been capable of, but we don't know how long he will last or what version we'll be getting.

The man also had a year off to think. I'm not convinced that'll equate to a net positive.

JetFanInNE and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Yeah, yeah. People have said the same kind of things about other "stud TEs" drafted in the 1st round over the last 10 or so years, and none of those players ever lived up to they hype. Go read what Joe B of the X Factor has to say about Bowers. Bowers could be great, or he could only be so-so.

Alt, Fashanu and Fuaga would all be more important and help the Jets more than Bowers both this year and in the future.

Also take a look at Rodgers' track record of throwing to TEs. Mostly he used Tonyan in the Red Zone, otherwise, the TEs didn't get a lot of throws. Even if Rodgers realizes that Bowers has the potential to truly be great, do you really think Hackett will design or call plays to enable that? I don't. There isn't anything about Hackett that makes one thing of creativity or intelligent use of players. Hell, it took that incompetent dumbass 2/3 of the season to realize that Breece could be a weapon receiving out of the backfield. Rodgers can't call plays that aren't in the playbook.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

BradysTornACL, ouchy and JetFanInNE like this.
  14. Sundayjack

Joe B of the X Factor said THAT?!! Holy smokes, I'll have to do a total rethink on this.

Some kid takes time away from kneeling next to holes in men's room stalls to read every NFL pre-draft magazine written and suddenly he's an expert. Scroll down the list of Superbowl teams over the last twenty or so years and a couple offensive positions stick out - QB and TE. Count me among the weary Jets fans who aspire to something more than another top-ten draft pick in the foreseeable future.

15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I think if one is going to draft Bowers, its up to them to provide the reasons why Bowers would be a better pick than a starting LT--not the other way around.

I'd like to hear your analysis on why Bowers would be a better TE than say Hockenson. As decent as Hockenson is I think most would prefer a starting LT.

Why do you think Bowers is going to be better than Dalton Kincaid in his 1st year? Kincaid came on nicely later in the season and things bode well for him, but in season 1 he didn't make such a difference.

16. Sundayjack

Because I've seen every college snap the kid has ever played and saw him use unique talent to win games - a few of them single-handedly when UGA should have rightfully lost. You don't pass up unique talent for a position of need unless the player fitting the need is also a unique talent. Both the league and the draft are chock full of worker bees.

JetsNation06 and dawinner127 like this.
  17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The difference between Bowers and the other highly rated TE prospects is that they weren't the focal point of the offense. People keep talking about Kyle Pitts. Kyle Pitts had 17 touchdowns to Bowers 30. Bowers was the SEC freshman of the year and won the John Mackey Award (2022, 2023). Georgia made their entire offense revolve around Bowers under Todd Monken. The guy is an elite prospect/player and is for sure worthy of our pick at 10. The only concern I have is the OC using and lining him up properly. If they draft him at 10 and keep him inline blocking, yeah then its a dumb ass decision. If they draft him and use him as the 2a or 2b guy behind GW and Breece, then we are cooking.

Another guy who was the focal point of his offense in college was Trey McBride. He didn't do much his rookie year b/c he didn't play much, but when given the chance last year after Ertz was gone he exploded. Not many colleges focus on the TE being the biggest offensive threat, but when they are, it normally translates. Sam Laporta being another I guess.

18. Sundayjack

Every single word - spot on.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Cool--if you've seen every snap I'm good with that. I'll adjust my perspective.

20. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Not to be a negative Nancy but Michael Mayer didn't work out so well thus far.

dawinner127 and NCJetsfan like this.