Chad is the starter this weekend

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Pride

Pride New Member

That makes 0 sense. If your going to lose, lose effectively. When you establish no good can come playing a vet, you lose playing the kids and see what they have. By doing this your pretty much throwing away the 08 season b/c your just delaying the inevitable. We gotta play Kellen soon or later

2. GreenScreen313

GreenScreen313 New Member

try thinking like Head Coach Eric Mangini. Is it worth risking the locker room falling apart, just to see what Clemens has at this very point in time?

3. Pride

Pride New Member

The locker room is already gone unless you havent noticed. Lets say it werent, you would rather go 3-13 w/ Chad if you saved the locker room instead of evaluating Clemens? I dont give a crap about the locker room now, im more concerned about the best interest of this teams future

#183 Pride, Oct 24, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  4. GreenScreen313

What about this ...

the remaining games are not enough to completely evaluate Kellen, with the shape this O-Line is in.

It's almost certain he won't perform well. Peyton Manning wouldn't do great behind our O-Line. So what's the point? We wouldn't want to use a draft pick on a QB this coming draft based on a few games this season.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

C'mon, the Jets offensive line is not great, but it is also not disgusting.

Jets QBs have been sacked 17 times. The league average is at or around 14. (It was 13.9 heading into the IND-JAX game).

6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

how will we ever know what Clemens can do as long as he is on the bench?

7. Pride

Pride New Member

At worse Kellen gets experience. There is 0 reason to have Pennington in there besides ignorance at this point. Our o-line has been solid pass blocking so far this year, that isnt a major concern. In the end, more positives come with clemens in there, it takes one hand to think of the positives that Pennington could bring

#187 Pride, Oct 24, 2007
  8. GreenScreen313

yeah - it's not disgusting in pass pro... there's so much talent between Leon and Jones and we can't get it done consistently in the run game.

9. GreenScreen313

I don't know if I could make a list, but it could simply be that this season is lost and Clemens still has enough to learn from Chad to merit him sitting a bit longer. Like that guy has been saying Monday night on 1050...once you change that QB - it's for good. A fan wants to see Clemens come in to get gametime experience but I think the coaches feel that he can progress faster if he sits longer and is a student. As is, he can spend the entire week studying film and which plays were called and how Chad is responding to defensive looks with check-down and whatnot.

I'm just speculating here, but I just think "play Clemens now to get some experience for next season" is more of a fans perspective and he's surely progressing greatly learning form Chad, we just can't see that part of it as fans.

10. Pride

Pride New Member

I will have to respectfully disagree sir. There is no substitute for game time action. He has had a year and a half to learn from Chad, and sit next to Schott on sundays. There are just somethings you cant learn from studying and watching film. I would rather clemens made his mistakes now then toss another year out the window

11. GreenScreen313

Perhaps - but maybe the coaches still feel there are still book smarts he can make progress with.

Also, do you think with a good draft the Jets will be likely to make it to the playoffs and possibly make a run for the Championship? I don't. So allow Kellen use '08 to get his licks.

12. Pride

Pride New Member

I agree that we wont be contenders next year, maybe the playoffs but that would be about it. At this point, in a season w/ little to no positives I really want to see if I have something great(Clemens) to feel about moving on.

13. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure where this mess of a season is heading, but man, the ass-whipping that no class Belicheat is going to put on us will be brutal.

Find out what Clemens can bring to the table, we know what Chad can bring and it ain't good enough anymore.

14. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Come off it - Its not about getting Clemens experience, its about seeing if he can play in this league. He may not win, but if he has what it takes he will show flashes, and then we will know. You are obviously too young to remember the Browning Nagle debacle - "the best QB I ever coached" according to Schellenberger, and the Jets never sat a washed up Ken O'Brien to see what Nagle could do. Next year he was annointed the starter, and he sucked, and could not play in this league. We ended up getting a washed up Boomer Esiason, and threw away 3 seasons, instead of one. The mind set like yours is why this team has not won in 40 years. Lets see if he is the guy, and if not lets get someone NOW.

#194 Wahoo, Oct 24, 2007
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS! :beer: Lets beat Buffalo! Come on guys! :up:

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You can't sacrifice a season for the future, it almost never works. Losing begets more losing and before you know it 5 seasons have gone by since the team was any good.

You CAN steal from the future to pump a given season and that also causes protracted losing not far down the road. You do this by trading draft picks for people like Justin Mccareins and Kevin Barlow and trading up incessantly in the draft to take people like Santana Moss and Dewayne Robertson. We're paying the price today for severe errors in the last administration, we're also seeing the current administration make similar errors.

If Mangini was smart he'd get Clemens in as fast as possible, because playing Chad is killing the Jets right now, and there's no magic bullet to erase the feel of a lousy season on a team's collective soul. If Tannenbaum was smart he'd start looking at why Pittsburgh (forever), New England (since 2000) and San Diego (since 2004) have become such strong teams. Then he'd begin trying to emulate the talent accumulation methods that all 3 of those teams have used. It's not hard to do that because they are nearly identical.

#196 Br4d, Oct 24, 2007
  17. Beamen

Beamen New Member

If Mangini was so concerned with losing the lockerroom, he would not be benching Vilma right now....

Vilma has the same credentials that Chad does with this team, except he's just ineffective as opposed to hurting the team, like Chad....

If he has the guts to bench one team captain, he should have the guts to bench the others

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He looked over-matched in the first half with the exception of a couple of heady plays. He looked barely passable in the 3rd quarter and then he was lights-out in the fourth quarter.

That makes him almost the polar opposite of Chad this season.

We need to see him put together a full game to know what he's capable of.

Personally, I think it's more likely that Mangini has gotten locked onto the tracks at the moment and can't figure out how to get off of them. That's the only thing that explains the continued use of a cooked Chad over his 2nd round QB. Unless Clemens just isn't any good.

Vinny put up ok numbers at the end, he just wasn't leading the Jets to wins and Herm needed wins. Why Mangini in his second season does not need wins is beyond me. Herm went 10-6 and 1-3 and Vinny was done. Mangini goes 10-6 and 1-6 and Chad is still playing. And Vinny could still throw the ball well. *boggle*

19. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Does it really matter at this point? The team sucks and is not going to the playoffs. We have to look to next year and not play people just to keep them happy. Its almost certain Chad wont be starting QB next year/even on the team next year, so its pretty pointless to play him anymore. His impressive 1-5 start is a pretty good sign that he is about finished as a Jet. Clemens may or may not prove to be any better, but he cant possibly play any worse then Chad is playing. There is nothing to lose now with playing Clemens so the decision is obvious. I see a TON of boos coming the next 2 weeks if Pennington is still in there and ill be at the stadium during the skins game to be part of it.

20. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

yes. the more games we lose, the better the draft position.

assuming these guys can actually draft as well as the pats do.

we may be royally shafted if they can't.:sad: