Cedric Houston

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GlennFoley, Nov 13, 2006.

1. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

You have got to be kidding me. Let's start pulling out stats, since none of the Ced fans seem to be able to make their point without it being totally subjective, and only so that it fits their argument.

Let's look at two ways, just to give Cedric the most fair chance possible.

In his two years in the league, Cedric's longest rush ever was a 17 yarder last year.

In Barlow's first two years, his longest? 35...

In the past two years, Barlow's longest? 29...
    -----------------------------------------------------

Last year Cedric had: 81 rushes for 302 yards. A 3.7 average. He had a whopping 2 TDs!

Barlow's rookie year? 125/512 for a 4.1 average. Oh, with 4 TDs.
    Last year? 176/581 for a 3.3 average. With 3 TDs.
    This year? 113/334 for a 3.0 average. With 6 TDs.
    -----------------------------------------------------

So I'm going to ask again. What exactly does Cedric Houston bring to the table that Kevan Barlow does not?

And don't give me some BS "he can't hit the hole" or "when he hits the hole he just stops" excuses. Obviously, from the numbers above, he at least comparable numbers to Houston, and ALWAYS HAS over the course of his career.

He is doing nothing but taking up a roster spot. Period.

2. rillo

rillo New Member

Wasnt Barlow a featured back in SF? I think Houston hits the hole faster than Barlow....Barlow is a buiser yes......hes just 2 slow for me.....I say give it to Leon and Houston. Too me it looks like Barlow is not happy wit his role on the team...so he doesnt try as hard...i guess. I think we might have a good 1-2 punch for the future......i dont think barlow will be here much long.....my 2cents.....also i think houston brings alil more speed 2 the backfield.....more than Barlow :finssuck:

#22 rillo, Nov 27, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  3. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

I wasn't just him. It was the running game in general. You know that.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

None of the backs we have on our roster are anything more than backups. I hated the Barlow trade the time & still do. Leon will have a nice role in the future but has shown me nothing that he could be the full time franchise back. RB will be a top priority in the offseason.

5. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Forget about the past, I don't care about the past.

I'm basing this off this season, in which Barlow has been pathetic.

6. rillo

rillo New Member

amen :finssuck:

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Basically it's by default........ He's not great, but it's not like the JETS have many options. Blaylock is awful and was a typical Herm/Bradway pannick plugin player......and Barlow is more name than production. IMO Houston runs harder than Barlow, he's younger and last year when he actually was given a shot, performed fairly well considering he may have been running behind one of the worst o-lines in the league.... Guys that play with heart win over the fans......

neither are a prize though, and the position should be addressed in the early rds of the draft next year.

8. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Wow, talk about depressing. If the future of the Jets running game is already on the team, that is BAD news.

9. sethgilistro

sethgilistro New Member

has anyone been watching the games? i have... barlow is so slow ... never gets positive yards.... or rarely.. the hell with what barlow has done... its about what have u done for me lately..... i see houston come in and its a BIG difference in the way he hits the hole...
    The guy has obvious ability along with washington...yes they are not marquee backs ... but neither was payton or curtis in the beggining(3rd rd and i beleive payton was 11th rd) both need curtis to teach him the finer points like patience and vision and setting up his blockers... either one of these guys could be 1000 yd rushers if given the carries...

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Jeezus Christmas. Are you really serious? I know you must be because you even have people agreeing with you.

Okay, I'll play your game. Let's talk about THIS year, and ONLY this year.

Kevan Barlow
    Attempts: 113
    Yards: 334
    Average: 3.0
    Long: 12
    TDs: 6

Cedric Houston
    Attempts: 36
    Yards: 122
    Average: 3.4
    Long: 13
    TDs: 2

Now go ahead. Tell me about how Houston has made such a bigger impact than Barlow this year.

As far as him performing "fairly well considering he may have been running behind one of the worst o-lines in the league" last year, Brooks Bollinger looked pretty damned good last year too, behind the same line.

Want to mold Bolly's Canton bust right now?

Houston is a subpar back. Just like Barlow, Leon, and Blaylock. In terms of talent and potential, I would rank them:
    1) Washington
    2) Barlow
    3) Blaylock
    4) Houston

Not ONE of these guys should be on the team come training camp next year, unless the CS is committed to the RBBC for a permanent situation. I think that's a bad move. We need a marquee back, and a fullback that can actually throw a block. Right now, we have none of the above.

IF Barlow put on some weight, it might make sense to switch him to the FB slot, and keep Leon in to run. That could make things interesting.

What's really sad is that at this point, I just want Houston run out of town. It may not even be his fault either. I'm just so sick of hearing people act like he is somehow the "answer" and is worlds better than Barlow, when there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO EVIDENCE of that.

Obviously the CS thought less of him than this group seems to. Keep in mind, Houston was healthy when the Jets brought in Barlow. Sorry guys, Mangini has already proven to me he knows FAR MORE than you do.

11. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

You know, I wonder why they don't hand off to the FB more often. It seems some of the most reliable running plays for this team are the ones where the proverbial pile get moved.

James Hodgins is 6'1" 275. He's scored a few TDs in the past and caught the ball too. Not a lot, but some.

Why can't the Jets devise some plays where this guy just takes the ball and lumbers right up the the middle? All we need is four yards a pop...he doesn't have to be like Barry Sanders.

#31 CaneJet, Nov 28, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  12. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

It's also becoming quite evident, given the recent improvement of the D, that RB is where we need to go first in the draft.

13. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

If Barlow can be more patient he will be fine. That is the one thing I have seen from Houston so far. He has been patient and hitting the holes at the right time with a nice mix of power and speed. I really like Houston and think with the opportunity he can be our starting HB.

14. rillo

rillo New Member

i still think the guy can play.....barlow has way more touches cuz houston has been hurt.....i'm not sayin he's the "answer", just looks better than barlow too me.....:finssuck:

15. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Your forgetting something...
    Leon Washington
    Attempts: 113
    Yards: 471
    Average: 4.2
    Long: 23
    TDs: 2

This, ladies and gentlemen, is our future franchise back. He should be getting atleast 60% of the carries right now. Leon used to be getting the that amount, but lately they have been using him less and less. Start Leon, use Houston as the relief back for 3rd downs and goal line situations, and our running game is perfect.

There's no room in there for a Kevan Barlow to fall forward for no gain for us.

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

What is lame is you spamming this board. Enough already!

17. nyjets2sb

nyjets2sb Member

Leon should be future back but I like Houston better than Barlow. It seems to me that whenever Barlow gets the ball he gets about 2 yards while Houston has a little more burst.

18. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

I'll say it again: the Jets should definitely plan on drafting a RB with one of their first three picks next year.

Marshawn Lynch/Michael Bush top my wishlist

19. Sean Ryan

Sean Ryan Banned

i like Marshawn Lynch... not to fond of Bush (maybe its the last name, i duno if that goes along with my views on the curren administration or have what i like to call Bush Light running the ball[not Reggie Bush])

20. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

agree with that.