CBS Sports: Chandler Jones trade rumor to Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JohnnyP123456, Oct 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Sure, I would imagine if Ryan Fitzpatrick or Josh McCown was the QB of the Pats BB would have a more conservative passing attack, run the ball more and probably would have kept Chandler Jones. I can also see the other side of the argument. If Todd Bowles had better QB play and an elite D he would be much more aggressive on O.

TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Arizona has Jones playing out of position. They might as well trade him. He would fit into this Jets defense perfectly.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Cardinals D has 3 great players all playing great. Jones, PP and Baker. They are awful at inside linebacker and are mediocre in the middle of the line. They are also on the field all day because the O can't get a first down. They would be nuts to trade Jones. They have him at a good price and they have cash to fix things quickly.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He's playing great because he's a great player but they got him in the wrong scheme. They would not be nuts to trade Jones because they are a long way from competing. They have an aging roster, a dearth of young talent, and they are miles away from competing with the Rams, as their recent matchup showed. They should tear things down. Everyone on the roster should be available for trade really, but especially the veteran pass rusher they have playing the wrong position

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the NFL is full of nearlys. you lose a SB by half a yard. nearly is the name of the game hence why they same it's a game of inches. 1 inch can be the difference in a win or loss. the jets got the FG at the end of the half which is rare for us to accomplish that. hard to complain about that. it was relayed to darnold and darnold relayed it to the offense in the huddle. one of the players said as much. he told them i'm looking over the middle. if we complete it we need to sprint up to the line and clock it. and he did that, he completed the pass over the middle and the whole o-line and him sprinted up-field and he got everyone set with 2 extra seconds to spare. you can't ask for much more then that. the jets were ready for it and executed. would you have felt better with 5 seconds on the clock? whats the difference there?

6. GasedAndConfused

that's a valid point too but i'd argue we are much better off then them. they don't have the WRs or secondary, or d-line, or LBers we have. we need a pass ruhsing OLB and o-line help. they need WRs, o-line, TE, ILBs, D-line, safeties, and CBs. they are much further away then we are.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Their window to win was 2013-2016 with Palmer.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

pretty much. now they need a full rebuild which would make sense why they would want to shed a high paid player on defense with good value

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No, I would've felt better knowing they had the TO in their pocket. Can you answer me this: Why NOT spike it on the previous play?

10. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Young team, rookie QB. Make sure everyone is on the same page by calling the next play and spike. As much as they can frustrate with their use of time-outs, I have no problem with that one. It was the right thing to do in that situation.

11. ColoradoContrails

That's exactly why the right thing would've been to spike first and save the TO because there was a greater chance this young team with a rookie QB wouldn't be able to execute the spike. Although they DID do it, that was more risky than it needed to be.

12. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but then you are relying on the coach getting the call to Sam (via headset), Sam relaying the call to the team, the team responding in a timely fashion to the call and getting to the line, and then executing the spike. All within seconds.

We see seasoned QB's screw that up clock management all the time and lose precious seconds. No point in putting that on a rookie.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Bowles has not shown that he would be more aggressive. In fact, he has shown the opposite.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

I guess I'm missing something here. To re-state: The Jets called their last TO and then had to execute a play, have everyone run up to the LOS, get set, snap the ball cleanly and have Sam spike it to stop the clock to get the FG unit out there.

Your answer above seems to argue against that approach for the same reason I am: it was a tricky play with lots of moving parts to ask a rookie QB and young team to pull off. So much easier to simply spike the ball, and then run your play, and then call TO.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I have to agree about the time management. They were late deciding to call both time outs as well. They could have had another end zone shot or 2. Decisions like that should be known in advance, there is no excuse for letting 5-6 seconds tick off before deciding.

I tend to give Bowles the benefit of the doubt, but this isn't new.

#95 Sam Hammer, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  16. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

One of them the refs blew their whistles late, hence putting time back on the clock. First one was definitely late though.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The strange thing here is that you act like this is some great accomplishment when it is clearly a routine play for any team that is aware of the clock. In the NFL every team should have this awareness. Why have the Jets not been expected to do this for years?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I’m all for building through the draft but if you can get a proven pass rusher for a reasonable price you do it. Not like the guy is 35 here.

FJF and Mr mittens like this.
  19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Steve Wilks might be the worst coach I’ve ever seen. Has a first year coach ever been fired midseason? Early returns on all these first year coaches are not too good. I still like Frank Reich. Too early on Shurmur. Gruden is horrendous and has obviously lost any semblance of knowing wtf he’s doing.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Jones would help. Thing is with no number two I don't want to give up our threes. We could compete for a wildcard if things go right. That being said would Jones makes us Super Bowl contenders? I don't think so. Our d isn't good enough. His addition would help but won't make us Baltimore. Look at New England and KC. Could our d stop them? Probably not. Could our o score with them? Maybe. I think next year is the year we make the moves. We'll have the money and we could take the next step. As much as I want a Super Bowl I don't think we will this year and don't want to mortgage next year for this year.

NCJetsfan likes this.