Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You would think that wouldn't be Idzik's first choice but if it is he had better get it right taking QBs high two drafts in a row. He probably wouldn't get a chance to do it a third time.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

If it's Teddy, he won't have to draft another QB for 10-12 years.

_

OverloadBlitz likes this.
  3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Right now with the holes elsewhere I would bet against a high pick going to Qb. The move at Qb was to be made in FA, which they did.

But... I am no draft guru, but I keep hearing talk that the top Qb prospects might fall further than originally thought. So there's that.

The other thing is Smith Fans focus more on the odds of him beating out Vick, but what does the Jets signing Vick really mean? That they are not confident going forward with Smith alone, that's what. Certainly not in the short term. Bu since Vick is no solution probably past next year, how about using another high draft pick at Qb if Qb is BPA?

I suppose they can still trade for a cb, as difficult as that might be. And get a wideout with their second rounder.

4. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

It definitely would, and I would be one of them. Last year I didn't want to draft Geno and figured we could tackle QB this year but I was anticipating having a much higher pick this year and getting a can't miss guy. Not as confident today as I was a year ago in this QB draft class.

5. JStokes

With 11 other picks and and 3 4th rounders, there are plenty of picks to address WR and TE and CB. If the QB that you want is there at 18, you take him.

_

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think a QB has to be taken this year, but I'm not all in on a QB in round 1 or 2. The QB who I put the best bet on to be the franchise guy is Bridgewater. If he was there at 18, than I would think about it for sure, but I think there are bigger holes on the team. I don't think Bortles or Manziel are nearly as good as everyone seems to think they are. Carr I like, but not at 18.

I think the Jets would be better off getting the supporting cast this year, drafting a QB in the 4th round, and going into the season with Geno/Vick/Simms/Rookie. If these guys all shit the bed (A legitimate possibility), than at least you have the supporting cast all set for a high pick QB next season.

The 1985er likes this.
  7. JStokes

When there will be fewer solid prospects (this is looking forward).

With Rex's D, we're never getting Mariota. Winston who knows what's going on in his head and Hundley is not better than any of the top 4-5 guys this year--at least not now.

_

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Agreed. Never thought I would see the day where Bridgewater could potentially be an option for the Jets. And at the very least, there's no pressure to start Bridgewater right away, we can let Geno or Vick take the bumps. Maybe you generate value for Geno.

Well actually I did at one point think Bridgewater could be a Jet, but then we went and drafted Geno Smith the season b4.

9. JStokes

Or you potentially trade Bridgewater if Geno really shines this year. Next years draft will not be stocked with a bunch of blue chip QBs, he could easily net us a nice pick.

_

10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Perhaps, or maybe next year we're talking about how the prospects are better, a year is a long time.

I don't consider this to be a ridiculous QB class. I think Bridgewater is as close a lock as there is in this class. I like the potential in Carr's arm. I don't care for Manziel or Bortles. I think their overrated, at least based on the rumors we've heard so far.

Either way, I don't think the Jets are going QB at 18. If one of these guys lasts to the third, which I doubt, I can see the Jets grabbing them.

11. Big Blocker

Meh. If you need a starter, meaning a quality player and not just some schlub in a uniform, you probably won't find him in the fourth round.

I'd hate to look at starting a rookie cb who had fallen to the fourth round. Could be ugly? More like almost certainly would be very ugly.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Richard Sherman, Logan Ryan, Brandon Boykin, Byron Maxwell, Alterraun Verner, Lardarius Webb and Jason McCourty disagree with this notion.

Each year going back to 2009, you could find a starting quality CB late in the draft. As I mentioned before, this draft is the same. 3rd round and down you can find starting quality CBs.

Now finding that starting free safety or ILB in the later rounds? Not easy one bit.

The 1985er and 74 like this.
  13. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

So you're saying don't address weakness and build on your strength? This can get complicated. Remember, Seattle have top notch skill players on offense too. Add just a TE they'll be even harder to beat.

14. JStokes

The difference is, at least for me, last April I was already looking at this QB class as far superior to 2013. Last years QB class was and still is vastly inferior to this class, top to bottom.

Now when I look ahead I see Mariota going number 1, Winston possibly in jail and Hundley as the only other true good prospect.

If we're looking for a QB next year, we'll be a year too late.

_

15. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this. I hope either Jimmy G or Tom Savage last to our pick in the 3rd. I don't think there's that big of a gap between them and Bridgewater and I'd take either of them over Manziel, Bortles, or Carr. Hopefully those three get taken first, allowing the others to fall. The one guy I really don't want any part of is Bortles.

16. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

That would be....AWESOME!!!! Definitely my first choice for the 18th pick. I'd also love Troy Niklas in the later rounds who I believe will become a superb, complete all around beast of a TE. There are more than a few quality DBs, pass rushing DEs and/OLBs who can be had in later rounds who I think can contribute/provide a positive impact immediately at least as situational players during their first year if not more.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This, Btw, is the same argument that was made last year about T. Bridgewater. A year later and he might be available at 18 and we might not even take him. We don't know what next year will bring in the way of a QB, no more than we know how Geno will do or what the Jets record will be.

The 1985er likes this.
  18. Big Blocker

Any person used to using logic would recognize that the odds go down of getting a starting quality cb further down the draft board. Is every Qb picked in the seventh round another Tom Brady? You seem to suggest the answer is yes.

Sherman was a great pick for Seattle, but ftr the record even he started only 10 games his rookie year.

As for Logan Ryan, you call a third round pick "late in the draft"??? I don't. In any event he only started seven games last year.

Brandon Boykin??? He only started two games, as a fourth round pick. You see a pattern here? Probably not, but most people would.

Byron Maxwell?? By his second season he still only played in nine games. Not as a starter.

Verner? Concededly started 12 games his rookie season. But of course the Titans' pass D sucked that year, ranking 29th in the league. Logic says he started because their roster at Cb was awful. ANd see McCourty below.

Lardarius Webb? Another third round pick. Not what I would call a late draft pick. Even so he did not start until the second half of the season, and tore his ACL in the 15th game. Kind of a mixed bag, even for a third rounder, if you are looking for a starting Cb on opening day. Leastwise that is the logical way to look at it.

Jason McCourty? Yes, he did start three games his rookie year. But that was because Finnegan got hurt. By his second season he was still not the starting Cb. See also the comment on Verner and the Tits' pass D.

Sounds like the only player from fourth pick down who makes the grade of a starting quality cb is Sherman. Since 2009. Not much history upon which to count on getting a starting quality Cb in the fourth or later rounds, is it?

The lack of support for your point of view should be obvious. But once again I don't expect you to accept that. That's not your style.

heartpumpsgreen likes this.
  19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

So CB and DT under Rex absolutely has to be addressed in round 1? I'm sure we can find a solid CB in the later rounds. WR, OLB, FS are bigger needs.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

it's going to be so fucking gay if we take a cb in round 1 yet again