Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I thought Idzik replaced 3 members with guys he brought in? I'll do some research, not the first time I'm wrong.

2. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

They brought in Rod Graves which was the only big change at the top positions, they also moved a couple of people around in management. The area scouts there have been some changes but not across the board changes.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Right. I softened that statement up later in this thread. I believe there are 5 new regional scouts one being aaron glenn who was promoted to scout this year

5. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

OK, but historically there are more 1st round busts at WR than at any other position.

I'm not saying draft a CB or some other position instead @18 because of this, but....

Even for WRs who turn out to be good, it usually takes them 2 or 3 years to develop. So I'm not sure that's much different than saying rookie CBs typically struggle.

My guess for the best bet to make an immediate impact for us would be Seferian-Jenkins as a red-zone threat. I wouldn't take him in round 1 but in round 2 I would be running up to the podium to turn in the card.

6. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

That is not how organizations work.

It is important for a GM to have full operational freedom so he is held fully responsible for his actions.

End of the day this is a business
    -----------------------

If Idzik really wanted revis, nobody on the jets ownership would stop him, as is the case with every FA and draft pick this offseason.

7. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

Surprise surprise .... NFL Network just reported that besides Mack and Clowney, Dennard is the defensive player that is getting the most buzz in league circles and the most momentum leading up to draft. He'll be a top ten pick Jets will need to trade up to get him if he's the guy they want. Probably up to 10 doubtful he makes it to 12-13, but possible. No way he'll fall to 18. So that's that :-(

I don't love any of these other CBs at all! My second choice would be Beckham but it's also been reported on ESPN that he will be a top 15 pick bc a team will leapfrog the Jets to snag him. And they know that.

Really not a Cooks fan. So I'm going to hope for Lee, Pryor, or Clinton-dix in the secondary.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

If those guys are going earlier then someone will fall to us. I picked Pryor in my mock and think him or Clinton-Dix are still possible. That or some of the QBs might fall to us but I don't know if I want to pick up one of them at this point.

9. heartpumpsgreen

Yeah I would be very happy with Pryor. I have flip flopped bc I previously liked Clinton-Dix more but I am leaning more towards Pryor.
    The reports that Dennard is rising fast to very possibly being 3rd def player taken is a bummer at the same time while I feel validated bc he was the CB I wanted for the Jets since day 1 of draft talk a few months ago. Just to show how much the scouts here debated with me ... The analyst reported that NFL teams are impressed with his excellent ball skills and look at him as a guy who will produce lots of turnovers. The exact opposite of what ppl were saying here ... I saw the exact same thing as the NFL guys in Dennard I don't know how ppl came on here claiming he lacked ball skills.
    Just hoping they dont get Cooks. They can get excellent WR value in rounds 2-3 while at Safety there seems to be a huge drop off after Pryor and Clinton-Dix.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I can't imagine any way at all they would take a safety with their first pick.

11. heartpumpsgreen

Yeah I hear you. Guess maybe Justin Gilbert will be in the mix.

12. Don

It's not that we don't need one, we do but I can see them taking one later that has the physical traits and may be able to be coached into a starting role. I am pretty sure they will take one at some point with 12 picks.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I can. 3 of the best defenses in the past 2 decades selected free safety in the middle of round 1.

Sundayjack likes this.
  14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

LMAO!

You must have missed how Woody informed all GM prospects last year that they would not have authority to fire Rex for at least the first year.

Full operational freedom! too funny.

15. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Yeah, free safety is kinda underrated by a lot of people. If you look at the dominant defenses lately, a lot of them have elite free safeties: Earl Thomas with the Seahawks, Ed Reed with the Ravens, Polamalu with the Steelers. I certainly wouldn't mind picking one in the first round if the scouts believe he has that kind of potential.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Agree, though if anyone thought that Thomas, Reed or Polamalu had the potential to become what they did, they likely would have been top 10 or even top 5 draft picks. FS is a hard position to scout.

Sundayjack likes this.
  17. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

Once again, full operational freedom when it comes to player personnel.

Woody ain't saying jack when it comes to the Jets signing or drafting any nfl player. Revis is no exception to this rule.

If idzik wanted revis, Johnson would not have gotten in his way.

18. Don

haha..speaking of owners involvement

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 16m
    Interesting to hear #Jets keeping in regular contact with QBs slated to go in the first round. Maybe in case one falls. Maybe serious at 18

19. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Not sure how I feel about that. Hopefully smoke screen.

20. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

It's not going to happen but can you imagine if they actually did take a QB at 18. This place would absolutely explode. :D

_