Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

To be clear while I understand the utility of carrying over cap space, I don't think it is such a great benefit that would outweigh the corrosive effect of tanking a season just to build up that cap space. Connected to that is that tons of cap space is only a benefit if it is well spent, and you can't count on spending a ton of cap space effectively in a single FA season.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

except the discussion I was having of which you attempted to dispute was specifically why signing Revis for only a one year deal was not the prudent decision because it doesn't serve a long-term solution at CB. if you want to have a completely different discussion about the state of the CB's and that it simply needs to be improved, I will have that discussion as well. but to now attempt to dispute my position of a specific topic by attempting to change the actual topic of discussion to a broader topic that you interjected in is a silly position to take on your part.

Revis for one year being a bad move because it doesn't serve the long term needs of improving the Jets as well as creates a hindrance in improving the Jets long term is not disputed or even addressed by simply repeating that the state of the corner position is weak next season and needs to be improved. of course it needs to be improved. the point is what is the best way to improve it -- one year stop gap that would need to be replaced and puts the Jets right back in the same position as before, or a long-term solution? the one year place holder is an asinine argument because when that player leaves after the season the Jets would be right back to where they were without Revis -- weak at secondary. how did that improve the Jets and serve the long-term strategy of building a Super Bowl team? it doesn't, it simply delays getting someone in the position that can be part of the multiple season growth that will lead to a better team.

again, that has nothing to do with being competitive year to year or turning it on and off, because you haven't shown that the Jets can't be competitive without Revis. They certainly were last season. and the specific topic you interjected in by addressing what I stated was about Revis for a one year deal specifically.

either address my specific argument about the lack of value long-term to a one year deal for Revis, or concede that argument and move on to what you want to discuss. I am happy to discuss the idea of being competitive from year to year, and its value. in fact, I already addressed that in my last post and explained the value of being competitive is in not only being competitive but improving as well. 8-8 and 9-7 teams are competitive, but if all you do is finish 8-8 and 9-7 you aren't building a winning culture, you are building a culture that is competitive but mediocre.

winning teams are built not by simply signing players to one year deals and replacing them every year. it is about creating a team that will play together for multiple season, with players that have talent, and that team growing together.

just to address your own position about winning cultures. sure Revis can improve the Jets this year, but that isn't the point. when he leaves the following season and you are weak again at corner and need a new corner anyways, you are back where you started. delaying the need to improve the corner position is not improving the team and creating a winning culture.

abyzmul likes this.
  3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Milliner did not suddenly play better due to switching to zone.
    don't know how many times i need to say it, but we didn't just switch to a zone for the last 4 games like you claim. we were playing it most of the year as it was clear Milliner (and Cro) needed safety help. CB's (and Safeties) looked terrible in coverage in both man and zone schemes most of the year. Milliner stepped up in both schemes at the very end of the year, due to his improved technique and awareness.

I'm starting to think you aren't clear what types of zones we have run. What we had to play last year to mask our terrible CB play was nothing at all like what we ran in the AFCCG. I can write 2 pages on what we did in the AFCCG, but it would be off topic.

Last year i saw more Cover 2 than i have ever seen from Rex. This means 2 safeties lined up deep, each responsible for one half of the deep field zone.
    It is essentially taking the Safeties out deep to give the Corners a net, and to assist in double coverage. It was in response to the CB's getting beat like a drum one on one.
    That is not what Rex likes to do with his Safeties. They are off the ball, limiting their effectiveness in run support, and pulls them away from assisting on short middle of field passes where the LB's and nickel CB also need help. And of course, it hinders our ability to send any those guys in on the pass rush. This is what you are supporting we do more of, and what are suggesting 'cured' Milliner.
    What works way better for the Jets is bump and run, with a little Cover 1, dial up the heat on the QB with different rush/blitz packages.

not trying to pick on you, but you really need to gain a better understanding of what direction you are suggesting the Jets need to go in.

4. JetBlue

that's a huge strawman. not signing Revis for one season does not equate to tanking the season.

if you want to be a hysteric and take that position that is your call, but you have yet to validate it while also failing to dispute the arguments that do dispute the value of signing Revis for only one year.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Believe me, you aren't picking on me - I already provided sufficient evidence that Milliner played better in zone compared to man to man. Everything you have said so far is pure speculation, you provide an argument, but no facts to support your argument.

No need to try and get more specific on what type of zone was ran - the fact of the matter is Milliner played better in zone compared to man. Maybe that changes next season, but that remains to be seen.

I'm not talking about the AFCCG - I am talking about the playoff game against the Pats.

Getting a free safety that can roam the field and an ILB that can go sideline to sideline is more important - then drafting a CB at 18. You don't need world-beaters or blue chip prospects @ CB to become a great defense - that has been proven throughout history.

6. 101GangGreen101

Well that is a story within itself!

7. BacktoQueens

you provided zero evidence that Milliner plays better in a zone.
    i don't even think you know what 'zone' is frankly..

right on the Pats game, divisional round...not sure why i said CCG..

8. 101GangGreen101

I provided game examples in a GIF - where Milliner got his interception what have you provided? What proof do you have that Milliner played better in man? Do some research and you'll find the majority of the plays made by Milliner were in zone.

9. Big Blocker

I never said any such thing. I think you are not reading my posts. Anyone who did read them would realize

No. That is the discussion you want to have. My interest in the Revis situation was it would have been an option to fill the void at Cb, and you also fail to recognize that the Jets did not have to enter into the same agreement that NE did.

The piont about winning culture is that not doing all you can to win this year is NOT good for the future. The rest of your post is a discussion you can have with yourself, but it is irrelevant and off the piont. The point of this thread is THE HOLE AT CB.

10. Big Blocker

I never said not signing Revis standing alone amounted to tanking the season. I think I will ignore you for awhile if you are going to engage in namecalling. I have been anything but a hysteric here.

The point is that not even trying to sign Revis is part of the OVERALL SERIES OF FAILURES THAT COUPLED WITH CUTTING CROMARTIE HAS LEFT A HOLE AT CB.

Have a nice day.

11. JetBlue

I read your posts and that is what you are saying.

no, that was the discussion I was having, and the discussion you addressed when you stated "despite what Blue said." you can't be disputing my position and yet claim my discussion is not the subject we are talking about. the discussion I was having is the exact thing we are discussing if you are disputing my position.

except not having improved the Corner position to this point doesn't equate to tanking the season at all. your basic premise of tanking the season is flawed from whatever argument you want to attempt to validate it with

12. Big Blocker

For someone who wouldn't have been considered even an outside shot before it began, Blue is making the Most Obtuse Off Season Poster race a laugher.

13. JetBlue

I am happy to see you that you agree that you cannot dispute the argument so you have to make this about the poster.

14. Big Blocker

Wrong again, it is about your obtuse posts.

The Jets need a starting corner, and have mismanaged the situation to date. THat is the argument.

But go ahead and complain about anyone who doesnt' agree with you about Revis and NE. Heh.

15. JetBlue

that isn't what I was discussing, and wasn't what my position about the value of signing Revis for only one year that you disputed had to do with.

if the strategy is to sign corners every year for just one year and simply replace them every year you haven't solved the corner problem. what other position do you think that is a sound strategy for? should we have a new QB every year, new receivers, new lineman? why is that a sound strategy for corner and not those other positions if not?

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Countdown until Big Blocker puts yet another poster who kicked his dick in the dirt by whipping him in an argument on his fabled and lengthy ignore list...

All Gas No Shake and BeastBeach like this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I once said Idzik had egg on his face because if recall correctly Jet fans knew there was opportunity to get Cro and /or Dom Rogers Cro. I think Idzik did blow the deal for DRC. OMG, didn' he end up with the Giants?

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

LOL

20. BacktoQueens

re-watch the Miami game.
    Milliner played man to man against Wallace for entire game, and it was his best game.

The good:
    - 2 passes defended in end zone covering Wallace man to man
    - 1 interception covering Wallace man to man
    - 4 other targets to Wallace resulting in incompletions. coverage man to man.
    - 1 interception in prevent defense to close out the game

The not so good:
    - he also let up a TD to Wallace man to man
    - almost let up another long TD but Tannehill overthrew a wide open Wallace
    - one of the few zone formations played, Milliner blew his zone resulting in a red zone 1st down for Miami

My argument is disputing your incorrect claims that Milliner suddenly got better from shifting to a 'zone' D.
    He struggled in all coverage most of the season, but showed flashes of why we drafted him at Miami. He was holding his own in man to man, as his technique and awareness were vastly improved.

I also argued the Jets are a better defense overall when playing aggressive, cover 1 deep, man to man on the edges, and sending extra bodies at the QB.
    They couldn't run that defense for most of the year, due to the lacking secondary play.
    We instead mixed in more Cover 2 than i've ever seen Rex run. The Cover 2 still got picked apart, and it also resulted in us blitzing less than any year we have under Rex.

We absolutely need a CB to continue playing the defense we are best at, like we were playing in Miami. It doesn't have to be at the #18, but we need to come away with a guy somewhere in the draft.
    Patterson on a 1 year deal and is an injury risk. Wilson i don't think we'll re-sign. We need someone to compete in the present, and be the future.

Some other notes from the Miami game:
    - we played Cover 1 almost all game, with Reed clearly cheating towards Milliners side. Cro was left on an island, and played well. Is Milliner ready to take the island role? Who will play the other side?
    - couple times we played Cover 2 on long ydg situations. it resulted in us getting gashed for long rushes as the safeties were playing deep.
    - Harrison and Douzable stuffing the 4th and 1 may have been defensive play of the game
    - Geno looked really sharp. outside of a few missed opportunities with inaccurate throws, he was on the money for majority of game

tiger8mush likes this.