Carl Lawson Update

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Apr 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

And... Mosley has demonstrated that he can stay on the field and be productive. Hopefully we see the same from Lawson... or his replacement.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

sure it happens some times but most times it doens't. also only a few QBs are really good at it. a hurry that leads to an incompletion is just as good as a passed defensed by a DB knocking it down which is why hurries are an important stat.

bicketybam likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The difference is that a pass deflected is clear. A "hurry" is subjective

abyzmul likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was really bad luck for Joe Douglas. He signs a player he thinks will take the next step as a Jet, and instead is injured and out for the season before Week 1 even gets here. Mosley was definitely a more proven player when the Jets signed him. I expect both to have strong 2022 seasons. I don't know what expectations we can give to Lawson though. Guess we will just wait and see how he looks in Training Camp.

Noam likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is arguing that pressures are useless or meaningless. They're simply not as good as sacks. Pressures are all well and good, and they do cause QBs to make poor decisions sometimes, and even add up over the course of a game, but good QBs still deal with that pressure and can beat you. Sacks however are clear cut and unambiguous: the QB is taken out the play and it's over.

We've lacked that ability for decades. Even with Abraham, he was very good, but we haven't had a truly great pass rush since the Sack Exchange days 40 years ago. When Rex had Revis and Cromartie we still didn't generate sacks, and we lost games because Brady and some other good QBs could find enough time to beat any DB. It's long past time we ended this failed philosophy of valuing DBs more than pass rushers. Hopefully Lawson is part of that solution, but we still need a slam dunk sack artist and the only way we'll get one is in the draft because no one ever lets one of those go if they're worth anything.

azhar80, SOJAZ, Red Menace and 3 others like this.
  6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Pressure rate

7. PJ4Ever

There’s plenty of data indicating QB don’t play as well when pressured. Sacks are better but pressure is important and more predictive

Noam, REVISion and Red Menace like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thats fair but the end result is the end result and people tracking it should be able to see the difference.
    I guess a better way of saying it is a DB tries to swat it, misses, but interferes in the vision of the WR enough they can't haul it in. any play that doesn't pick up yards us a win for the defense one way or another

9. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I think the jets will draft an edge rusher at either 4 or 10, and that player will be better than Lawson. The focus won’t be on Lawson anymore, and the pressure of being the number one guy will no longer be there. Lawson will be in a better role as the B player, and he also might be more useful there. He’s not an A player imo, and it would be a mistake to thrust him into that role and rely on him there. Taking an edge rusher in the top of the draft will help everyone.

10. PJ4Ever

It’s included in this data.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I have never said that hurries don’t help, I also admitted they create an incomplete pass or an INT. I just believe they are being overvalued in defensive player assessment.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I'll believe it when I see it from Lawson--the guy has an abysmal injury history and it does the team no good having him take shirtless photos during the summer only to be sitting in a hospital bed getting procedures done during the year.

In my opinion, Lawson could be a decent player as part of a rotation where his body doesn't have to be under as much stress. He's not a Von Miller, Myles Garret or Bosa Bro. I don't see him wreaking havoc all game, I just don't think his body is made for it.

I think we have a bunch of decent dlineman that still needs a true bad ass to take it to the next level--

I know I get heat on the board during the year for rooting for losses when the games don't matter--like that Jags or Texans game, but this is the time during the year where they really hurt us. We will most likely miss out on Hutchinson or Thibideoux, they are the best options in the draft this year as far as true pass rushers.

If we go Sauce, it's OK. But AFC teams are so damn loaded at WR now that having a lockdown corner doesn't really matter as much--they have 2-3 other guys that will get the job done. Just look at the Raiders (Adams, Renfrow, Waller, Edwards)--

The NFL is made for teams that have GREAT QB and pass rush play....that's what the current format lends itself to.

Honestly, if we miss out on pass rushers, the best option is go Icky Ekwonu and plan on just becoming a bully team. We will have an elite Oline and we could build it around the running game and eating up clock. Get Breece Hall in the 2nd.

Jets79, Cman68, Noam and 3 others like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good analysis. Frankly, I think Hutchinson is the only true top 10, "can't miss" Edge in this draft. The rest all have some questions to a greater or lesser degree. I think Johnson is better than Thibodeaux, but that's just my amateur opinion. Given that, like you said, if Hutch doesn't fall to #4 (highly unlikely if not impossible), and the Jets can't trade it for a haul, then I personally would take Ekwonu or Neal as they represent the only other two "can't miss" players at a premium position of need.

14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree every DE has question marks after Hutch. What makes it worse it is unlikely that Lawson will return to his pre injury level this year.The two OTs are the safest picks but not what we need. If our DE that JDs wants is not there at 4 IMO we need to trade out and amass more draft capital on the the 15 to 40 range.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I said this quite awhile back. We might be better off becoming a smashmouth style of offense. Takes the pressure off ZW and takes advantage of our supposedly improved OL. I would love to see JD get us a true PowerBack to pair up with MC 1. With the emphasis on passing, we might jackpot on a PB in the early 3rd round assuming we have picks there.

Brook! and FrontOfficeFanatic like this.
  16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that Lawson wilted under the pressure of being "the guy" last year while not playing a single regular season snap?

cval likes this.
  17. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

No.

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

This is where people lose me. Maybe its just a misunderstanding of meanings of terms. Youre saying Carl Lawson is INCREDIBLY OVERRATED. really? By whom is he incredibly overrated? Had you ever heard of him before we signed him? Is he ever on top ten or 20 or 50 lists? Do people constantly talk about how awesome he is? What are you talking about?

bicketybam likes this.
  20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Pff ranked him as the 9th best edge rusher in 2020. He was one of the league leaders in pressures. Many people expected him to break out in Saleh's defense. In camp last year he was dominant against our offense and in intrasquad scrimmages and by far the best player on the team. He was set to have a monster year. So, yes most people paying attention last year expected a huge year from Lawson. It was pretty much impossible to find anyone last year who watched Lawson in practice that did not expect a huge year from him.

Coming back from an achilles injury he is now a huge question mark. Will he get his explosion back and if so when. Likely he won't be back to where he was until 2023.

Red Menace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.