Carl Lawson deal reworked - created $12.7 in cap

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, May 18, 2023.

1. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I assume all the trade comments are facetious. I think the 23 roster is pretty much set. All these restructures and moving money around is likely for AR and Q deals.

Trading for Adams or Hopkins just isn't in the cards

KingRoach and Borat like this.
  2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m assuming that all the moves salary cap wise from here on out are to balance long term risk with current expectations, re adjusting AR contract to avoid out year major impact, and protect sufficient dollars for 23 in case of an unexpected injury that requires bringing in additional help. This is not to free up major $$ for a sizable new acquisition. Q contract implications does not have an impact this year but providing additional cushion in future years is a must.

ouchy likes this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The skinny is he dropped his cap hit to 3 million this year, and got 6.5 million in guaranteed money pushed into the future, and now carries a 6.5 million dead cap next year.

To be clear, we'd want to give some of our current cap space to Q. Were about 45 million over the 2024 cap now from the just the contracts that carry over. That will lighten once Rodgers restructures but it will still be a cap nightmare. Its also one reason we probably don't want to restructure Davis in a similar way.

#24 ouchy, May 18, 2023
    Last edited: May 18, 2023
    Jets OG fan likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Basically, Lawson was overpaid at 15 mil, given his injuries and production, but still a good player, so he agreed to play for 9. If he didn't, JD probably waives him. But worked out perfectly. For this price, he is a really good asset to have, which wasn't the case at 15 mil price point.

Mosley has to be next: 17 mil is a lot. Yeah, he made made all Pro, but I just think it's too much for a LB, even of his caliber at 31 years of age. This was really the only good season he gave us after collecting 16/17 mil per for a few years now. This time money is not guaranteed. He needs to reduce by similar amount as Lawson did.

twown and stinkyB like this.
  6. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really don't want the Quinnen deal to be mega backloaded. The Jets have a lot of youth to pay a few years down the road. It makes a ton of sense to have some of that cap money hit this year if they can.

They could do that for Rodgers as well. I think more restructures will be in the works, since they can't go over the cap at this point in the year. Every little bit helps!

#26 Jets OG fan, May 18, 2023
    Last edited: May 18, 2023
    NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I like Carl Lawson the person a lot more than Carl Lawson the player, he disappears sometimes and you can tell the height disparity does matter - maybe not always but definitely in his case. He's a shrimp with T-Rex arms. Needed that pay cut.

Brook! and Lon Chaney like this.
  8. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Lawson is a great player. Glad he stays a Jet. With him, Johnson/Clemons Year 2, Huff, McD our pass rush has some serious talent. Let's stay healthy good vibes out there.

Borat likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this post, but don't see how/why we would try to trade for DHop. There won't be enough balls to go around as it is. Even if it would work capwise, why do it? Kwon Alexander and maybe John Johnson could be signed and they'd help the team a lot more than DHop at his age would imo. I hope that isn't even a possibility in the Jets' minds!

Borat and ouchy like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This has to be either for Rodgers or Q. Why would you want DHop? Are you going to make him the #2 WR or are you gonna move Wilson to #2? Why wouldn't you want to improve the D by adding Kwon Alexander and John Johnson?

ouchy likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You would’ve thought some of us said that his whole “top 10 pressure rate in the league one year!” was a whole bunch of bullshit for who he was as a player. :)

Lon Chaney likes this.
  12. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I'm really stoked to see what this defense can do this year.

KingRoach likes this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I would like to see Kwon back…clearly JD and Saleh are not sweating it, but I thought he brought good energy to the defense

Burnz and Nyjets4eva like this.
  14. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

yeah I want him back idk what’s going on with that situation

15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/kwon-alexander-nfl-rumors-free-agency/

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He reminds me of a Chevy Vega with a big-block shoved in the engine bay...

17. abyzmul

Which is a pretty nice setup unless your wheels keep falling off because you can't handle the strip.

18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't know why anyone would object to adding a WR of DHop's caliber. He's a massive step up from anyone else that would be WR2 this season. A WR core of GW, DHop, Lazard, CD, Hardman is arguably top 5 in the league. I know we have A A Ron now so the thought is he should elevate what we currently have, even if he is getting up there in age, but why not make a good unit a great one? Especially one that carries such significant weight in today's NFL.

Quite frankly, I think the D is fine as is. Would I like to re-sign Kwon or bring Johnson in? Of course, but if you're giving me an option, it's DHop or even Davante Adams (rumblings over the weekend that he isn't happy with the direction LV is heading) and it isn't particularly close.

#38 KY Jets Fan, May 22, 2023
    Last edited: May 22, 2023
    abyzmul and BrowningNagle like this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the way people talk about Hopkins they act like he's 45 years old. He will be 31 in the fall and could play at a high level for the next 5 years easily. The Jets and every team should jump at the opportunity to acquire him.

If he wasn't suspended half the season last year he finishes with yet another 100 rec. - 1400 yard season. We've had 2 of those type of seasons in our entire history.

20. abyzmul

Count me in on Hopkins as well. Adding him would be effectively crushing the souls of the competition. I want that.

When the Jets pass for 300yds against Ramsay and X Howard while trouncing the Dolphins in Miami,, and the rest of the league cries uncle, it will be worth it.