Cap situation as of now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Green Dude, Mar 5, 2006.

1. jetman8094

jetman8094 New Member

I'm almost positive that Abe's number counts right now even though he hasnt signed the tender yet.

2. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Just saw the article on the Jets website. Thanks.

#22 dabrowsk1, Mar 5, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  3. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Yes it does.

4. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

so we should have enough money to fill our holes somewhat atleast...so we won't be HORRIBLE atleast..but a 7-9 or 8-8 season is a good goal

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm pretty sure Abe is considered a Free Agent until he signs the tender. At least that's how I read it last season. I'm not sure how the tender would count against the cap in that situation. That's why he would be sticking it to the Jets by signing it right before the beginning on the 06 season, because the Jets have to be under the cap when the clock strikes midnight.

6. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

^I would really really dislike abraham if he did that. May he perish many pains in the hellhole of destruction if he is really out to stick it to the jets. :lol:

7. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Once the tag is applied, the number does indeed count agianst the cap.... immediately....I wish people who have no clue would just listen.... instead of looking foolish. We were reportedly under the cap BEFORE the Pennington and Kendall restructures. Chad saves 6, I figure Kendall for 1.5 to 2. So, that should put us in that 8 to 10 mil under range, and Abaraham's 8.3 is included. Once he's traded, we should be 16 to 18 mil or so under the cap.

8. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

wow...being over 15 million under would just be SWEET!:breakdance:

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Then why exactly is it a big deal if Abe signs the tender 5 minutes before the end of the league year?

Edit: what I mean by this is how does this scenario apply if it doesn't matter when the player signs the tender?

#29 abyzmul, Mar 6, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  10. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

BTW, my previous post was not directed at you.... it's that other guy that thinks he's gonna be a GM some day. :rofl:

As soon as a guy is tagged, he will count against the cap.

The way Abraham could screw the Jets is that they want to trade him, and don't want to carry that 8.3 over permanently. If Abraham signs, he's a Jet for 2006. I don't believe that could be renegotiated after he signs, which kills any possible trade, unless the Jets were to trade away their franchise tag, which no NFL team has ever done.

Now, this is where I beitch about people saying things as fact.... and I won't because I could be wrong in some of the next details. FT'd players sign a contract with the original team, even though it was negotiated with the new aquiring team. Then, the trade gets completed. If Abe signs, the one year FT goes with him. That makes him untradable, but since he wants to be traded, he'd be screwing himself too.

Remember too, even though his number counts against the cap, the Jets can still be over, until the NFL starts their new fiscal year (which they keep delaying), at which point they have to be under the cap.... so if Abraham signed now, the Jets would still not be over the cap.... because they were under including Abe's 8.3 mil before the Penny/Kendall renogotiations.

That's the way I understand it. If Abraham signed, the Jets would be stuck with him for this year, at 8.3 mil. Since neither side wants that, it's unlikely.

11. Jetset

Jetset New Member

Technically Abe doesn't count against the Cap but if he signs it they immediately (relatively speaking) have to be able to accomodate it. So while the Jets may have about $9 million in room - they can't really use it until Abe is traded - if the Jets did use that space Abe could sign the offer sheet and force the Jet's hands.

A team can renegotiate with a player that has signed the franchsie offer but it would have to be done within a certain time period.