Cap Scaring Away Potential GM's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 11, 2013.

1. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Agreed. Looking at other teams I follow, how about the free passes Sandy Alderson and Donnie Walsh were given to guide their teams out of the shitty situations they are/were in. Our next GM who navigates us out of this mess will look like an effing genius while having a grace period to get it done.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Of course the first call any new GM will get will be from Revis's agent..yeah, he will have it easy.

3. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Were you serious with this? You really look at that list and see explosive players being plugged in?

4. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I'm fairly certain that once Holmes and Sanchez are off, the cap clears considerably. Frankly, I fail to see this as a big deal. The Jets only have 10 starters back? Well, they're all pretty good. The guys they're letting go are below league average, save for Keller and Devito.

I think you can bring back the guys you need to, fill out with young players, and structure contracts so that the payout is a bit deferred. It's not rocket science.

-X-

5. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Well derrrr, of course the cap is bad. If the cap was good, or the talent was good, we wouldn't need to hire a new GM.

Costello is good, but come on man...

6. Gunther

Gunther Member

The cap is not the problem. It is hard to get quality GM candidates when you are not known for quality football. NY is hell, because of all the media, and any GM who takes the job would have to listen these non-athletic imbeciles critique his moves and have the nerve to question his moves when their children couldn't even make pee-wee football. This is the burden of NYC. It's the pretty bitch who thinks everyone wants her, but only she believes that.

7. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

well said. if they aren't confident, they don't belong.

8. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Releasing Eric Smith, Jason Smith, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Tim Tebow and Bryan Thomas retiring saves us over $30 million and makes our team better. These are all bums. Rookies can come in and out perform any of these guys.

9. Realistic Jets Fan

Media jackasses scarring away any serious readers

10. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

The article pretty much mentioned all of this. I guess no one actually read the article.

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Pure speculation.

12. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Managing our cap would be easier if the GM actually had the authority to do what it takes. Dumping those already listed, plus trading Revis for picks and a player to replace him.
    We may not be contenders next year, but we will be in a much better situation in 14.

Truth is, there are several very good teams in the AFC right now, our chances of piecing together a team good enough to compete with them are slim, we should bite the bullet and rebuild now. In 2-3 years when Brady, Manning and Roth are winding down their careers, we could be on the up tick with a young talented team built for the long haul. Build a solid foundation now, hopefully salvage enough of Mark to fill the void for a couple years or bring in Matt Moore to bridge the gap.

Honestly, I'd rather re-build than to watch what happened this year again.

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You don't think Coples and Davis are young and explosive? I'm not saying every guy on the list is and I should have clarified that, but Coples and Davis are victims of Rex and his love of Veterans, when they had a chance to play they made some rookie mistakes but you could see the difference in the energy they brought.

Mcyntire put more pressure on the QB than Pace did, he was no Lawrence Taylor, but when he was on the field with Coples, Davis and Wilkerson the pressure on the QB was much better.

Powell is a better RB than Greene in my opinion, I thought Sparano did not use him enough on screens, that is where he excells and makes a bigger difference than Greene.

Your right, not every guy on the list, but even if 4 guys on the list can come in and make a difference it makes the new GM task of finding players a bit easier, hopefully through the draft we can address the offense and with a balanced team we can get back to contention.

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think it's more a problem that any GM coming in here knows he's going to have less power then the HC.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's cap hell. The only way out is to make 2014 uncomfortably tight on the cap/players under contract front.

The Jets face a strategic decision as to whether or not to dump next season and play a bunch of young guys, which will make 2013 very unpredictable in terms of downside but fix 2014 some, or to roll over problems towards 2014 and maintain some upside next year.

It's a stark choice and it comes at a bad time with the MetLife Super Bowl year in the offing.

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

But if a GM comes in a fixes it, they will be a top GM in the league for years to come. It's not about scaring people it's about the opportunity to make a name for yourself. If anybody steps in and turns us around offensively, despite Sanchez & the cap, it will bode well for both their future and the Jets future.

17. NFL

NFL Active Member

Lol, just putting it out man. If he's not ready to go in after this offseason than he might as well watch from home.

And yeah the media just likes to put anything they could out there.

18. NFL

NFL Active Member

A couple of them will be better of starting. Not all of course, but they should be fine. And Kerley and Hill could potentially be labeled explosive, same for Coples and Davis.

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

pretty much my thinking.

are GM roles so easy to come by that unless you have a top 5 QB, free choice of all your staff and $50m in cap space no-one is interested?

20. Realistic Jets Fan

as you prove by following up this thought that your fears are caused by "posters like Brad"

by February the Jets will be about 15 million under the cap after reserving the dollars needed for the rookie cap before making a single contract restructure.

this BIG MASSIVE PROBLEM exists in the small pea sized brains of the Jet beat writer sh1tstirrers and their buddies the sports talk radio imbeciles