Cap Scaring Away Potential GM's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

That's bullshit though... we're not in salary cap HELL by any means. By releasing the obvious names (J. Smith, Pace, Scott, E. Smith) we'll save around 31 mill... by cutting Tebow and restructuring Pouha we can save another 3. Overall, maybe moving some of Harris money, we can save 35 mill and thus be 15 mill under the salary cap.

That's not bad, also considering next year we can get rid of 2 other big contracts: Sanchez and Holmes!

3. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

We will cut guys and restructure maybe a contract or two and get under by a decent amount but yeah it still pretty crappy.

4. No job is perfect in the NFL. Every team's situation has downsides. The name's turning down the Jets are nothing to write home about. If they aren't up to the challenge due to a manageable situation like the cap..then they weren't a good fit anyway. Jets need a go getter..not an excuse maker.

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I can't understand why this would scare anyone away.
    If anything, I think this would buy the new GM some time in getting things headed in the right direction.
    I also think it is what is going to give Rex his next excuse as to why the team isn't doing well.

6. NFL

NFL Active Member

True. This is the usual bullshit that the media likes to put out. Its not like were releasing players who were contributing much.

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I don't know enough about the cap but if posters like Brad are correct we are in salary cap hell.

This is a much bigger reason why a GM would avoid the Jets. Yes the jets need a good talent evaluator but a good cap guy might be more important.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

yeah yeah we can cut this guy and that guy and the other guy and end up 15 million under the cap...

and then we need to figure out how to use that 15 million to find 12 new starters. yeah sure sounds like exactly the type of situation that most guys beg for.

listen its not hell but its not the ideal situation and add the rest of the bullshit to it and i could see why some people would want to stay away. shit i want to stay away and i am just a fan.

9. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Exactly. Well put.

10. Canadajetsfan

Canadajetsfan New Member

Media BS. Yeah that makes sense that no one would want to come to the biggest market in football, make millions of dollars and just maybe be responsible for a huge turn around. These stories never make sense to me, all of these guys have huge egos and would jump at the chance to be in New York and be the guy that rights the ship.

11. odessa

odessa Banned

It sounds like more of an opinion piece and a hit piece. Nothing in that article says the GM's did not want to come here because of our cap situation. he sites some anonymous GM, but we know how much that is worth.

12. NFL

NFL Active Member

Well its not like we don't have some players that can start.

Coples for DeVito
    McIntyre for Thomas
    Bilall/Rookie for Greene
    Davis for Scott
    Allen/Rookie for Landry/Bell
    Ducasse for Slauson/Moore
    Ellis for Pouha (if cut)

And there's some players that can be resigned cheap.
    Cumberland
    Bell

13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i think some of it is a smokescreen so they dont have to tell anyone they dont like the current QB, coach, and organizational flow chart.

just blame it on the cap so u dont have to throw anyone under the bus

14. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

It's salary cap hell....You have to unload a ton of players and only have 15 or so mil to fill out the roster and sign draft picks...Then as a result you enter next year really being able to start. It's the worst cap situation in the NFL.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

uhh..for how many players? We have 16 free agents..so that 20 million we are over doesn't include a penny for them or for the people you plan on cutting...might be tough to play with 33..of course that 15 million you free up can be used on rookies..salary cap hell is exactly what it is.

16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

agree, call it hell or call it purgatory - no matter. its a very difficult spot for even the most nimble minded numbers guy/gal.

we are currently witnessing the hangover from going all in.

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

With the exception on the highlighted part of your comment, you are spot on, this is how true football fans understand the game, we have young and explosive players ready to come in and contribute.

I have made an effort to not read anything the media puts out on the Jets, I'm waiting for the hires to take place and I'll get my information from the press conferences afterwards.

18. akibud

akibud Active Member

It's not salary cap hell at all. It's the media again bashing the Jets. Darn Jets bashing media . :rolleyes:

19. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

You guys are right...the NY media is pretty useless...

20. PearsonJones

PearsonJones New Member

If anything, the new GM has the first two years easy, and can focus on draft.

Hey all those shit contracts were not given out by me.

Then when Holmes, Burrito, Scott, Pace, Harris and Keller, are all off the books. Hello freedom.

I also Imagine one of our CB's will also be off the books.

#20 PearsonJones, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013