Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How many of these beat reporters in the NFL cite their sources? Yeah, basically none, especially if it’s negative news on a player. So this is all we have to go in.

I sent you the definition of speculation a while back. We’re all speculating on what’s occurring behind close doors based on reports from sources closer than us.

Everyone doesn’t need to hear your spheal about how you don’t believe them for X,Y, or Z reason every time you feel like hijacking a conversation with your nonsense that has nothing to do with talking about the team and very rarely even mentioning a players name or anything related to football.

You could cookie cutter your last two posts and apply them to any topic on the forum across all topics and they’d probably work.

The point is that the Jets seem to purposefully floating these things out there because they’re unhappy with his commitment to being a great football player. The number that he weighs is arbitrary at this point but you remain committed to arguing minute details to kill discussions with your nonsense.

Do you think Hughes and Pauline pulled this number out of their ass during the college all star games? Honest question.

#101 Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 6, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    Acad23 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Look, I agree completely with your first two points but don't give the slightest mouse turd about what you, or anyone thinks about what you call my "spheal." (You could look it up). I also don't care one iota about what "JonathonVilma" considers appropriate posting content. You see what you want to see and, even when I agree with your football related posting, you refuse to acknowledge it - probably because I schooled you numerous times years ago in the politics forum when I called you out on posting fiction. Deal with it, get over it, or don't.

The bottom line is that I expect hard information and many here are content to follow the repeaters rather than real reporters.

KingRoach likes this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If I were JD: I'd keep Fant at LT and let Becton/Moses battle it out for RT.

If Becton wins, Moses backs him up at RT. If Fant (LT) goes down, Becton moves back to LT and Moses mans the RT spot.
    If Moses wins, Becton become the swing tackle for both L & R sides.

KingRoach likes this.
  4. Ralebird

I don't know why Douglas (actually it's Saleh's job) would want to limit the competition the way you suggest. The best guy at LT should play there and the other two, or a draftee, should be competing for the RT spot. Here's an article from "Pro Football Rumors" that explains it pretty well and despite the name does a pretty good job of actually citing its sources and background information.

Jets' Mekhi Becton, George Fant To Compete For LT Job? (profootballrumors.com)

Footballgod214 likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

What? He cites Tony Pauline in the article I posted that you said you didn’t trust. Lol.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I get the 'let Becton and Fant battle it out for LT' but to me that battle already happened last pre-season with Becton was getting beaten like a red headed stepchild only to be replaced part way thru game #1 by Fant who manned the spot quite well.

Not sure what else we need to see.

Just move on and let Becton/Moses figure out the right side. The left side is already manned. Why mess with success?

Red Menace likes this.
  7. Ralebird

I never said that at all.

Why respond if you're just going to make things up?

8. Jonathan_Vilma

O rly?

9. Ralebird

Because winning organizations strive for the most success, not just a degree of success. While there is certainly a concern about Becton's struggles in camp last summer, that's where nose to nose competition takes place, not selected games when facing different opponents. I'm often surprised at the reluctance that so many here have to making everyone compete for a job; these guys have all been competing for positions since they were kids - it's part of the game that builds better players.

10. Ralebird

Thanks for proving my point. Nothing I wrote says anything at all about Tony Pauline, that's your strawman. You can do better if you get the chip off your shoulder.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

The last thing I’d ever have is a chip on my shoulder about a lackluster internet poster.

The post I just quoted from you was in response to my post citing Tony Pauline, you nitwit.

#111 Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 6, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  12. Ralebird

And where did I say I "didn't trust" anything at all? Do you think it bolsters your argument when you make shit up?

And really..."nitwit"? How do you think that schoolyard crap helps your point of view?

If you're still missing the point of why reporters need to do a better job of supporting their words we're just burning pixels here. If Pauline cannot even clarify whether his "sources" in Vegas and Mobile are coaches, scouts, reporters or the janitor, much less name names, why should anyone put any credence into his words? At least with a trail of links in the PFR piece it's easy to see what Pauline actually said - it's too bad that it doesn't really clarify anything.

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm not conducting a felony investigation here, we're speculating on a message board. Reading between the lines is all we have to go on.

This doesn't even require reading between the lines though. We have a lot of good evidence to think Becton is overweight. I find it hard to believe several of our beat reporters are all lying or wrong about this.

I don't know what it would take for you to believe it. Does Saleh need to come out and say "Becton's a fatass"? Never going to happen.

14. Ralebird

I'd say he probably has been overweight during his recuperation since he was probably overweight at some time before the injury. Beyond that, I find nothing at all to support the 400 pound figure, not that it would mean anything substantial by itself. We have nothing at all other than speculation that could determine a cause and effect relationship between his weight, whatever it is. and his slow rehab. I also find nothing concrete to connect his weight to any "character issues." That's my "speculation."

On the other hand, we have nothing that qualifies as "evidence" of Becton's weight, rehab problems or attitude - just more speculation, which is far from what would qualify as evidence. What Saleh has said, on the record, is that Becton and Fant will compete for the LT position which is fine with me; I believe it would be stubborn and stupid to not take that route as those who are willing to condemn Becton to a lesser position, the bench or disposal because of such speculation would have the team do.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We have nothing that qualifies as evidence of Becton's weight? 3-4 different beat writers reporting it doesn't count? Saleh's comments about him needing to take better care of his body don't count? The 6-8 week injury becoming a 20+ week one doesn't count?

Forget the 400 lb number for a moment - we have plenty of evidence he's overweight.

There's no evidence of character concerns? Mike LaFleur calling him out in training camp doesn't count? Several different beat writers reporting that the organization isn't happy with him doesn't count? Come on man.

Is it more likely there's some grand conspiracy against Becton by our coaches and beat writers or that if they're all alluding to the same things it's most likely the truth?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Don’t you all know better by now?

17. Ralebird

It's all in the language. When a guy says he "hears" Becton is 400 pounds that means nothing to me - it's a rumor. If two or three guys say they were told by training staff personnel that Becton weighed in at 403 on November 23rd that might get my attention. There is also the factor that many of the guys people refer to as "reporters" are actually columnists or commentators whose it is to provide analysis and opinion rather than dealing in hard facts. The problem is that there is no longer a clear cut distinction for many of these positions, depending on who the employer is.

Turning what you call a 6 - 8 week injury into one of twenty weeks or more and guessing that the only possible reason for that is the guy's weight is ridiculous. It's almost that you've never heard that even the best surgeons don't always get the outcome they're looking for and complications like infections happen. Not having been there when LaFleur allegedly called out Becton (if you're not just talking about a press conference remark) and not reading any first hand reports of anyone who was, I'm not putting much weight on it at all and definitely do not consider it an indication of a character problem regardless. Neither does any talk that the team is disappointed.

In the end, we're all going to decide for ourselves what we believe based on what we think is evidence and what is smoke; it will be sometime in the future before we know what is, in fact, the truth. I'll keep an open mind while I wait.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Can you please provide any evidence of the bold? We like dealing with facts here.

REVISion, ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  19. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

Trust him to be a franchise LT at this point in his career? No. Rookie season showed flashes of top of the line abilities, but also rookie mistakes, then came the injuries and shortened season. 2021 was the worst. In camp he was being beaten quite often by our Dline(mostly Lawson). Then came the knee injury that was to keep him out short term, but ended up being the whole season. Now the rumors he's 400+ pounds.

How should we handle it? Coaches were satisfied with Fant at LT. If we can get a stud RT in the draft at 4 or 10 or trade down etc and still get one... do it. Fant didn't seem to be the solution at RT, but played better at LT. Some guys just have that odd scenario. Draft a franchise RT this year and let Fant(age 30) battle it out with Becton at LT. If neither prove to be effective... maybe move the new RT to LT and in 23, draft another RT. Gotta get bookends one way or the other.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Why are we in this situation in the first place? Here we are debating about a player's weight and dedication to the game despite being a high DP. Did we not vet this guy before we drafted him? Judging by his immature behavior, we obviously missed some character flaws the young man has exhibited. instead of competing for a starting job, he should be trying to stay on the roster. Becton shows up ready to compete? All sins forgiven. Shows up like a huge tub of fat? Give him the Mims treatment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.