Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It also sounds as if Becton really isn't being counted on by this CS to be ready to play effectively. At this point, Becton should be playing for a roster spot, not just a starting job. They've coddled this behemoth long enough and its time for Becton to show how bad he wants to play in the NFL.

There's a strong possibility that this kid will literally eat himself out of a job.

Leicester Jet, REVISion and cval like this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

My guess is he saw it on the internet. Has to be true, right?

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I really think the injury has made a lot of people forget how good becton was as a rookie. I also think the weight concerns are overblown

Ralebird likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

First sentence agree, second sentence totally disagree. When someone couldn't recover from an 8 week injury in 16 weeks because they weighed 400 pounds, that's a massive cause for concern. Luckily we have an LT already under contract that played just as good, if not better than Becton in his rookie year.

ouchy likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Did you watch that “highlight” tape against Garrett? Garrett ate him alive every time he didn’t have a tightend or runningback to chip and had several pressures, a sack, a TFL and caused another sack.

Becton was solid as a rookie. But that’s the wrong tape to trot out as evidence of that.

6. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Is my trust in Becton shaken enough to say we have to use 4 or 10 on a tackle? No

Is my trust in Becton shaken enough that we need a good, if not overqualified 3rd OT (like Moses) and an upgrade at the 4th OT? Absolutely yes.

Pepsiguy5, REVISion and JetFanInPA like this.
  7. Ralebird

I agreed with both of the sentences. No one here knows how much Becton weighed any time he took the field or at any time in his recuperation process. We have no idea how his weight affected his rehabilitation. We also have no idea why what was predicted to be an eight week recuperation period took twice as long. Surely you don't believe that there is a hard and fast schedule for these things and understand that no two patients are the same with the same injuries, right?

8. BroadwayAaron

Your last sentence just proved the entire point.

9. Ralebird

Yes, but not the one you would have us believe. If there is something concrete that you can blame the guy for that slowed his rehab, just lay it out there. In the meantime I'll just continue to believe that none of us know why Becton's recuperation took longer than it was reported to be expected to take. Infection is probably the most cause for a delay but no one here has even mentioned it. Did the eight week timeframe come from his doctor's mouth or just another know it all? Who claimed he was 400 pounds and that was a factor? Not saying that's not all possible but how is it so easy for people to make up their minds on virtually no solid information?

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He’s lost the starting job at LT, Saleh already indicated he has to win it back. If I’m CS it’s a no brainer, Fant is the starter and move Becton to RT. Moses is a good backup, draft a legit guard and Jets oline could become a strength of the team going into the fall.

11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

There are like 3-4 different beat reporters that have said Becton's weight was the direct cause of his delayed recovery.

On the latest Can't Wait podcast with Hughes he said there's a general annoyance with Becton throughout the organization. He said Becton's ego got out of control after his first season, he came into camp overweight, gained more weight when he injured his foot, and gained even more weight after the knee injury.

There are other reports that claim Becton was over 400 lbs and might still be. It doesn't take an orthopedic surgeon to realize that's going to complicate recovery from a knee injury.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Short of Becton saying it himself in an interview, there’s no amount of reports that you can cite that will convince RaleBird of anything.

It’s also rather obvious that the Jets are putting these things out in the universe so he gets his act together. I doubt they’re false even if potentially exaggerated (which I also doubt).

But here we go anyways.

Weight in a vacuum isn’t a big deal. Not training like a professional athlete in the off-season so you’re in top shape come training camp is though.

REVISion and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Not for nothing but the only report of him being over 400 lbs was a reporter saying that it was claimed by unnamed sources. I really don't put much stock into reports citing unnamed sources.

Ralebird likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

Honestly, does it matter what I provide? You won’t believe it unless you see the scale and then interview a doctor.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He might believe it then, but he'll do his damnedest to come up with some way to argue anyway.

Acad23 and BroadwayAaron like this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Put Becton on Weight Watchers and move him to RT..we salvage a wasted pick:/

17. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Assuming what you’re saying is true, where’s your explanation of why the coaching staff hates him?

18. Ralebird

Yeah, I guess we look at things differently - if a small handful of beat writers make uncited claims without support, why should we look for the insight of the medical professionals involved in this specific case rather than WebMD type prognostications which are fine as general information but are doomed to fail in specific situations. All the generalities that Hughes or anyone else uses to fill out his podcast schedule is not at all significant to me, your mileage apparently varies; I would much rather see him cite specifics. Until I see them I'm not hopping aboard the train to unfounded conclusions and will be keeping an open mind.

19. Ralebird

What you're missing is that we haven't seen a report of anything - what we've seen is unsupported conjecture. Yep, I'm old school, I want reporters to "show me" the facts, not share what "everybody knows" because often they don't.

I agree completely with your comment regarding his training and weight, particularly because no one doing any of the "reporting" knows first hand what it is nor will they attach a name to any such rumors. The 370 pounds your clip, wherever it came from, cites is far from the 400 pounds that some have taken as gospel and are using to preach.

20. Ralebird

You see, that's the point - you make claims that don't even show where you got them from, much less attach a source of any kind. Some of us want more than that before condemning a player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.