Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'll wait until he plays some NFL games, the failed combine drug test was a fluke. I'll wait until his second year, the weight gain and injuries during the first were a fluke. I'll wait until the regular season during his second year, the training camp weight gain and injuries were a fluke. I'll wait until he's healthy again, the knee injury was a fluke. I'll wait until OTAs, him missing the entire previous season due to weight gain and injury was a fluke. I'll wait until minicamp, he only missed OTAs because his wife was pregnant. I'll wait until the regular season, him missing minicamp was a fluke.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I should just use hard evidence like workout hype videos in March?

REVISion and Acad23 like this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The 3' bong load breath holds are to prepare his body for the low O2 air he'll experience when they go to Denver in October..... dude will be beasting in the 4th qtr when everyone else is gased

KY Jets Fan, Lon Chaney and abyzmul like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that's next level thinking. If abyzmul graduated from Marijuana U, you must've graduated with high distinction. Summa cum ganja

abyzmul likes this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Speculate away! Hanging one's hat on a two year old weed infraction is not someplace I'd be going. My guess is the guy was probably prone to the munchies long before he heard his first broken Bob Marley record.

Workout videos that show him smoking? Or eating?

#585 Ralebird, Jul 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Has he failed one since? So now he may have a weed issue Lolol, I swear some people just need to shut up about things.

7. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

If worst comes to worst, Becton could always star in an episode of "My 600-Pound Life." It would be an interesting to hear a conversation between Becton and that weird little gnome with the stethoscope.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We have reached the pinnacle of speculation about Becton on this thread. We are now scrapping down the bottom of the barrel for a one line training video and a two year old combine infraction ( mind you nothing since he was drafted) as the latest cause for concern. Can’t wait for training camp to start. How he plays in training camp is the only thing that matters. The rest is noise.

Jets OG fan, Ralebird, Cman68 and 3 others like this.
  9. REVISion

Lol there's Mogriff with a typical bad take.

The NFL only tests for weed between the start of training camp and the first preseason game. Not failing a drug test doesn't mean there isn't an issue. The NFL's policies for failing a test for weed are also so lax now that he very well could've failed a test or multiple tests already without us knowing about it.

Regardless, you missed the larger point as usual anyway. Failing the combine drug test is basically a giant "I'm an undisciplined idiot" sign. Nobody cares if he smokes, but it's incredibly stupid to not stay clean for a few weeks for one single drug test that is likely going to impact millions of dollars for you.

Now let me ask you - can you honestly say it doesn't look like Becton has discipline issues? It's not about the failed combine drug test itself, it's about what the inability to pass it says about Becton's discipline and effort as a person. His entire career has reinforced what failing that drug test indicated.

You're so desperate to defend Becton that you're taking issue with someone saying that a guy who failed a drug test for weed and has a chronic overeating problem might just have a weed issue. Incredible.

10. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Well...when you put it like that...

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

4D Chess bro....

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Rinse and repeat...

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Typical revision with a dumb take.

again where is the weed issue stemming from? He failed one test before his NFL career. He hasn’t been caught with weed in his car or anything of the sort since But you have this weird fascination with bashing this kids character.

You’ve insisted that he can’t play at the size he’s at. But what if he can? He did it already. You’re so quick to throw out his weight issues when he’s legit been around 370 for a while now. In a perfect world I’d love for him to drop some weight but trying to find out a “manageable weight” is something you nor I know nothing about in regards to what’s best for that guy. Because if so, if the Jets didn’t feel he couldn’t cut it, or wasn’t putting forth the effort, they would have been more aggressive in the draft AND in FA to bring in a potential starter at the tackle spot. They haven’t done so, they’ve talked about bringing in a veteran presence who’s not even as good as Morgan Moses, who the Jets felt was needed last season.

He got hurt on a fluke play when a 300 lb guy fell onto his knee which looked serious as hell. But let’s knock him because he didn’t come back in a time frame he was suppose to. Setbacks happen. I’m just tired of you and others bashing Becton for not fitting into the mold of a person he should be…or how he should act or his discipline/effort level is not up to your standards.

KY Jets Fan and KingRoach like this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is a good thing.

azhar80 and Lon Chaney like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the weed was just a theory. And since he's 400lbs and proven to like the weed before, it has some merit
    --

I don't think the fact that they haven't brought in a veteran yet is any indication that he's ready to go.

For 2 reasons, 1- it wouldn't be the first time Joe Douglas underestimated a hole in his roster, and 2- its still July, they might very well be working on a contract with a vet as we speak. You mention Morgan Moses, he was a July signing last year. I think we will see something similar soon

REVISion likes this.
  16. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I personally think we will see MB dominate at RT this year, his skill set has always been that of a RT.

12 personnel grouping where we don't NEED the TE to block or chip is a huge win for this offense.
    With the additions of TJ, Conklin & Ruck, the Run threat and seam game will keep the safety's honest and open up 1-1 matchups on the outside. If not, we check to a run...

Mekhi is a very important piece to this happening.

17. REVISion

Go listen to Hughes' section on Becton on his most recent Can't Wait podcast. Becton has not been around 370 for a while now. He was pushing 400 lbs as recently as a couple weeks ago, which is why he wasn't practicing. Hughes plainly stated that the Jets have major issues with Becton, and they were apparently completely dumbfounded that he still wasn't in shape so recently.

You're flat out making things up to suit what you want to believe. The funniest part is Hughes and others have been reporting this same stuff for a year+, somehow you never got the memo and are attacking people who are being honest about the situation.

blackssmagic likes this.
  18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

They actually listed his weight? All I heard is that he was under 400.

Ralebird likes this.
  19. REVISion

From the sounds of it he was basically right at 400 a couple weeks ago, like 395+, and was as high as ~420 last season.

blackssmagic likes this.
  20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Can you define "sounds of it?" I'm not being a prick but I'm looking for confirmed reports.

If you took two guys that were the both 6'5 and football players and one was 390 and one was 370, do you think you could tell the 20 pounds between them? I know I'd be guessing.

azhar80 and Acad23 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.