Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I also read that he was one of the leaders in QB pressures, which aren't as good as sacks, but are very important.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Not sure with the contract status of current players, but at one time, teams could have heavily fined
    players for coming in overweight, does that language have to be put into someone's contract??

What can a team do to a player that doesn't want to play? get in shape?? Obviously cut them, but what else??

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Yes, It has to be in the contract. Becton has all the talent. It is on him if he puts in the work that is needed to be an elite NFL tackle. I hope he does, if not he will be out of the league before the end of his rookie contract.

4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

the Darron Lee curse?

5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yah…I hear that a lot but not sure I really buy it….sacks are sacks. They are counted and measured because they matter…they end drives. It’s why DEs get paid.

yes pressure matter too, and they sometimes turn into picks, but sacks are better

in the end, we took a chance on a young player on the upswing (hopefully), with potential. He had an injury history.

and shockingly, he got hurt.

I still like the signing and it was worth a shot, but he’ll need to come back strong and there’s no guarantee he does from that kind of injury.

in the end…if he was THAT good a pass rusher, Cincy wouldn’t have let him go. They replaced him with someone better in Hendrickson.

so it is what it is…I hope he can come back and dominate, but its not a sure thing and I certainly wouldn’t be planning my 2022 roster assuming he does….I’d be out there looking for a top DE.

by the way, I also wouldn’t be planning on much from Becton either….two years, lots of injuries…I wouldn’t shy away from a top LT either, and then worry about what to do with Becton when he’s back

REVISion, BrowningNagle, dmw and 2 others like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Draft Evan Neal and that will certainly motivate Becton

Jets79 likes this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea of spending #4 overall on a motivational tool.

I don't have faith in Becton but I dislike the idea of taking another OT high even more. We need to address other positions and pray Becton gets it together. If he shows up to camp out of shape again it's time to trade him. Resign Moses if possible to hedge against this possibility.

joelip and jonnyd like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

Well duh of course not. Neal is a great offensive tackle prospect on top of being a motivational tool

9. REVISion

It seems like it'd be a big clusterfuck if we took him.

Do we move him to RT? Becton to RT? Get rid of Fant (who played great)?

I think we move Becton to RT and retain Fant for another couple years.

joelip and jonnyd like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

Its not a cluster at all IMO, it would be awesome. Neal comes in and he's the day 1 starter at RT that you run behind for 10 years. Becton needs to beat out Fant or sit the bench, best case scenario, he does, he loses 30lbs, like a man possessed he takes his spot at LT and you have young book-end tackles with a quality swing backup in Fant for a year. If Becton doesn't take it to heart and its more of the same, well then, you hedged your bets and got a good tackle in Neal anyway

onefanjet likes this.
  11. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

This is basically giving up on Becton which to me is lunacy. Becton shows up healthy try HIM at RT, Fant is the LT and we draft a stud at another position at 4. The upside of this method is far better than your plan

joelip and REVISion like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

I dont see it that way. Becton is a left tackle anyway, so how is drafting a player at a different position than Becton giving up on him?

if anything moving Becton to a different position could be considering giving up on him, or a last gasp effort to not give up on him anyway

13. REVISion

Neal is an LT too.

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Neal is an LT bro. Come on. And if youre gonna tell me to play him at RT then Im gonna tell you Im not picking an RT at 4. It just makes zero sense

Jax should take Neal. Im then hoping that only one of the Edges is picked by other Houston or Detroit, leaving an Edge for us

REVISion likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

I like the edges too

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Becton isn’t a lost cause. He’s going to be a starting tackle for us next year.

Regardless of that, I want the Jets to continue to invest mid round draft picks along the offensive line to actually try to develop competent backups and maybe even a future starter so we don’t end up with bums like Conor McDermott and Edoga in the game.

I also can’t understand the lack of creativity on either coaching staffs parts as far as trying Edoga out at guard. He clearly can’t play tackle in the NFL.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I think we let them battle it out for LT whoever loses moves to RT or the bench

REVISion likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

There are still people one this board who insist Parcells was a bad team builder because he traded the first pick in 1997 instead of taking Orlando Pace.

Becton is a guy that couldn't return from a 6-8 week surgery in 16 weeks. The only future battles Becton has is the line for the training room table.

19. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I believe they can trust him. I just prefer to use the Ronald Reagan way of trust. That is to trust but VERIFY. I'll give Mekhi the offseason to get his body right once and for all. If he hired a nutritionist, I'll believe right now that he's on the route to recovery. However, I will verify by any means necessary. I'll want progress reports from Mekhi on a timely and regular basis. Is he hitting the weights? I'll make him keep track of what he's eating and much of it he ate and I'll POLITELY ask him to show it to me weekly. I'll ask to speak with him on video calls when the nutritionist is taking BMI measurements on Becton. If i like the results... I'll make a final decision before the draft. In fact, either way I'll make a final decision on whether I need to draft Bectons assumed replacement before the draft. IMO, so long as the Jets are paying him millions of dollars, they have every right to know if he's keeping up his end of the bargain......

20. REVISion

This is great news. Let's see how badly Becton wants it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.