Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

His procedure was a 6-8 WEEK rehab, not 6-8 months.

Not directing this at you but at this point I'm just going to assume that anyone defending Becton has a double digit IQ. There have been red flags upon red flags and it's approaching literal insanity to act otherwise.

I must say that even I, the biggest Becton doubter on the planet, was caught off guard by him STILL not being near a weight where he can play. This guy has had nothing to do but work out for 6 months at this point (starting from when the injury was fully healed until now) and he STILL isn't at an acceptable weight. It's unfathomable how little dedication or discipline he has.

It doesn't help matters that he's spent much of the last 6 months attacking anyone who expressed doubts about him. He's about as unlikable a player as someone can be. All talk and attitude with zero action.

Saleh isn't an idiot - his comments about Becton's weight say it all. Saleh went out of his way to lavish praise upon Wilson and Mims for the type of shape they showed up in. Why wouldn't he do the same for Becton if Becton arrived at the weight they want him to be at? The only logical conclusion is that Becton is STILL too heavy which is just unfathomable.

Jets79, blackssmagic, Borat and 2 others like this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Hold it! You really believe that opinions posted on Reddit are somehow authoritative and decisive in the discussion? You think the mopes posting there know better than the mopes posting here? To be perfectly clear - what you have just posted here "proves" absolutely nothing. That's a bigger joke than your posting it here in the Mekhi Becton thread.

KingRoach likes this.
  3. Ralebird

The problem is that, by definiion, "typically" means nothing regarding an individual's experience. We have seen much discussion but have we seen anything from the team that Becton was "reprimanded"? He can be "mooked" from morning until night and that is a meaningless distraction. As far as Twitter is concerned - it is not concerning at all, it is just noise. I don't care in the slightest what is posted there by Joe Public or Sam Superstar and don't understand why anyone builds opinion around such things. Some questions are just not significant enough to ask.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

lol nope I think you know nothing and you prove me right every day so at lest there is that. and you prove it to everyone else. it's hilarious the person who accuse others of doubling down when wrong is doing the same without realizing. a discussion of thousands of people, and a famous judge are bad sources but ralebird is the authority on all lol you are a bigger joke then half the people who have been banned or left here. and i'll make sure to point this out over and over :)

joe likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

deleted. duplicate

6. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Last year, LaFluer went public citing he was out of shape. Additionally, think Hughes and a few other ppl brought up the fact a few times that Becton has been reprimanded/chided etc, by the coaching staff regarding his weight. Didn’t Saleh say something about, “we’ve talked to Becton about where he needs to be weight wise”? We can play semantics (reprimanded) but it’s been brought too many times now -that we know of- for Becton’s handling of his weight not be a concern for the organization.

So regarding your definition of typical regarding recovery time-eta’s, sure, not everyone is exact. That said, he isn’t the first football player to have this injury, and most of the time -from what I’ve seen over the years-typically diagnosis in the nfl regarding recovery times are many times right on the money. And why shouldn’t they be? They’re base on many people-all shapes/sizes- over many years who have had this specific injury, the diagnosis is based off of all of that. Especially if there’s no complications, etc, often times diagnosis’ are right on the money. Becton isn’t know to of had any complications etc btw.

So, the fact that it’s taken at least 2x as long to recover/get back from his injury-not 1 or 2 weeks, but DOUBLE-despite no reported outside reasons (botched surgery, misdiagnosis,etc) isn’t a-typical or even concerning to you? Not mocking ya, just trying to understand.

And regarding Twitter, I’m with ya-if he’s producing/on the field. Unfortunately, when you respond like he has on Twitter when you’ve got what I mentioned above working against you, it doesn’t lend itself kindly to the village folk.

#386 Stevied, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    blackssmagic and Borat like this.
  7. Stevied

Couldn’t have said this better myself.

Btw, I know attacking one Twitter does, but the fact that his career is dependent on his weight being controlled and he STILL isn’t there, that speaks to maturity as well, correct?

#387 Stevied, Jun 20, 2022
    REVISion likes this.
  8. REVISion

Costello reported that the team disciplined Becton for his weight being too high at the end of his rookie year, if you want an "official" reprimand.

Regardless though, you have to read between the lines to get the full story here. Why? Because Saleh and co. are too professional to ever outright call a player out. They know that doesn't do any good and would just result in the player resenting them for it. That doesn't mean Becton is in good enough shape though, just that the coaches know that saying so publicly will make Becton resent them.

How many comments like "Becton has to take better care of his body" or "Becton has to do what it takes to be a professional" have we heard from Saleh, LaFleur, Douglas, etc.? A lot. And we've heard many more comments to that effect from beat writers, who aren't as concerned with being polite as the coaches are.

If you are denying that there are serious concerns with Becton then you are simply not paying attention or not operating in reality. To be honest it's been clear that there were serious concerns with him for a year+, ever since he got reprimanded by the team for being overweight after his rookie year. To have that happen after having weight and discipline (failed combine drug test) concerns in college indicated a pattern of immaturity and lack of effort/discipline. That pattern has only strengthened since then, but it was absolutely a pattern even way back then.

Look at the timeline of weight/discipline related issues with Becton:

• Failed combine drug test
    • Gained too much weight during rookie season, resulting in team discipline
    • Showed up to 2nd year training camp overweight
    • Got hurt, took FAR longer to recover than is normal, and all signs point to a large reason behind that being his extremely high weight
    • His nutritionist says he just recently got under 400 lbs, which is still 40 lbs more than the weight he was drafted at. If you drafted a 220 lb WR and he gained 10% of his weight up to 242, would you not start to become concerned that he was getting too heavy? And that's not even a great analogy because Becton was among the heaviest players at his position even before the weight gain. A better analogy would be drafting a 240 lb WR who got up to 265 lbs.
    • Becton shows up to mandatory minicamp and is apparently still too heavy to practice
    How on earth can anyone deny that there's a serious issue here? It was moronic to deny it at the 3rd bullet point, it's bordering on insane to do it now.

#388 REVISion, Jun 20, 2022
    Stevied, Jets79, blackssmagic and 2 others like this.
  9. Stevied

My man!!
    Just to piggyback on the Costello & coaches professional comment, LaFluer called him out-I believe after the GB scrimmage for being out of shape. As we’ve since seen, these guys aren’t ones to do that. In-fact, I can’t think of them calling any one out beyond vexing, much less saying anything worse or equivalent to what they said about Becton being out of shape.

blackssmagic likes this.
  10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Looks like next year's draft is exceedingly weak at OT. (By some analysts, the best OT prospect clocks at #15. No top 10 prospect at OT, unlike any other draft we've seen.)
    Which means - if Becton turns out to be a bust (and he's showing an outstanding potential at that.) Jets will have to reach. I still can't wrap my head around this pick. Didn't Saleh and Douglas emphasize these traits like "Character," "Leadership," and "Commitment"? How could they pick such a slob? He's a direct antithesis of what they preached, no?

Jets79 likes this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

By now we all know the "Ralebird Routine"...

12. REVISion

They started preaching that stuff before the second draft, likely as a result of not valuing those things at all during the first draft and having it bite them in the ass in a big way with Becton and Mims.

13. GasedAndConfused

most do. i'm just making sure all do :)

Acad23 likes this.
  14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Becton is a machine.

Whether he’s a well oiled machine or a huge rusted out machine, IMO, is moot.

When the machine is working on the field, he gets the job done.

This year, we will have Fant Becton and a TBD Vet swing at OT

Next year we will likely have Fant Becton and Big Max as Swing

JD’s got this

15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He's an eating machine

blackssmagic and KingRoach like this.
  16. KingRoach

He’s going to eat up DEs when he’s on the field so the analogy still holds true.

17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He will if they are made of donuts!

KingRoach likes this.
  18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Hold it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  19. Ralebird

If thousands of people and a famous judge post something on Reddit it means nothing but their opinion. If someone believes that posting is somehow authoritative it is idiocy. Own it.

20. KingRoach

2Funny. We need some comic relief in here. If only you posted memes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.