Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

If Kayvon is gone at 4, I really think Icky will be the pick

Lon Chaney, Borat, PJ4Ever and 2 others like this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I agree. This system thrives on quick footed athletic tackles.

3. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I'm sure I read somewhere that his mom is a soul food caterer, so you can bet he always had lots of food around at home when he was younger

4. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

Was MB at the Jets facility today for workouts?

5. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

"Trust" Becton ???
    I'm not sure what "trust" means here, but:
    1) The dude is gifted.
    2) The dude is usually hurt.
    3) The dude looked very good as a rookie but got schooled by Lawson repeatedly in last year's fall camp.

Becton may become a great OT for us, but it's far from certain. What do you do when you have a potentially great player who has significant question marks?

Easy:
    a. Give him another shot this year.
    b. Use your #4 and #10 picks on other positions where you definitely do not have a potentially great player but really need one. (Or trade down.)
    c. Use a later pick (not 4 or 10) to bring in an OT with very good potential that can step in if Becton doesn't work out.

Stevied and ouchy like this.
  6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

meh Moses isn’t athletic, def not as athletic as Becton.

It’s also Becton’s bday, he’s only 23.

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

No idea how carrying 200lbs in each hand translates to football but wow that is impressive.

8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas drafted Becton with the red flags that are beginning to bear fruit. He shouldn’t get to hedge his bets 2 drafts later trying to correct a mistake. If they’re worried about Becton then Douglas needs to find a cheaper alternative, and that alternative better be good for Douglas’ sake.

REVISion likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

sunk fallacy cost. you lose more holding onto someone you don't feel is good.
    perfect example is arizona. they drafted rosen 10th overall. the next year they drafted murray 1st overall and traded rosen for a 2nd. so yeah they kinda wasted the 10th overall pick but rosen is pretty much out of the league 3 years later and murray is a pro bowler and their team is better for it.

If JD feels becton isn't panning out ikey makes sense. or if he can't reach a deal with fant. icky can start at LT and move becton to RT and keep fant as injury insurance for 1 year and let him walk. we'll save the cap room from fant that can be spent on another player and have both starting OTs locked in cheap for 4 more years

10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I didn’t say I want to hold onto Becton without any type of backup plan. Frankly Moses was a solid backup plan that I was disappointed to see let go. Becton’ red flags are bearing fruit as I mentioned, but I don’t think you hedge that bet with such high currency, nor do I think a GM should have that luxury. Our starting LT played at an elite level all season long. When you factor that the QB he was protecting held the ball longer than just about every QB in the league it’s even more impressive. Right now the focus should be Becton insurance, not Becton replacement.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I agree but if it comes down to all the bets players we should get are gone and icky at the top of our board, I can justify it more then reaching.
    Moses wasn't going to stay. he was a late cut last year and we got lucky. he wants to start, he wasn't starting here and he landed a starting job elsewhere. can't blame JD for that
    fant played great last year, but really it's his 1 good year as a journeyman player in his career and he's 29 and if he repeats it he'll want 15+ mil a year at 30 years old. getting icky would mean we could let fant walk and spend that 15 mil on someone else and have both OTs locked in on cheap deals for the next 3 years minimum.

I'd still much rather have KT though but if KT and hutch are gone icky is probably the bets bet there and we could get JJ at 10. ideally though for me it would be KT at 4, hamilton falls to 10, and we trade up for olave

chandler and Noam like this.
  12. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i'm in the camp that Becton comes back like a ball of butcher knives at RT and vaporizes some people

400lb farmer walk is pretty freaking impressive. Can't do that on ailing knees or feet

IDFjet likes this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

What's the over/under on Becton actually playing a full year in 2022? I honestly think it will be another miracle if Becton comes back at all and plays at a high level.

14. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

He also didn't play all 16 games his rookie year either.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

GM Douglas said Becton is NOT participating in voluntary camp.

P.S. I'd prefer to see some explosive movement workouts from Becton, instead of what was posted today about carrying weights and walking.. or pre-draft, pulling/dragging a vehicle or something etc... explosion is more relative than plodding movements.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'll take "pattern" for a hunnerd Alex...

REVISion likes this.
  17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Hope he turns things around but I believe in this less and less as time goes by.

Will-I-Am-Not and Jets79 like this.
  18. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

The term "voluntary" keeps getting injected here, and the player's participation IS voluntary. Having said that, I could accept that better for a player who's played at a high level 5-6 years, is maybe getting to 30+ years old, and the team feels that putting less wear and tear and his body is more beneficial than showing up for these workouts. Becton is none of those things, quite the opposite actually. A player can have all of the potential in the world, which I believe MB does, BUT I have a hard time seeing this guy still being in the league in 2-3 years, so If I am JD I am using a high pick on a LT. No question about it...

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

He’s so big, when he goes to the movies, they make him wear a white shirt and stand in the front

Cman68 likes this.
  20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.