Can someone please explain to me the love affair with Brett Ratliff?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Jan 7, 2009.

1. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Yes you can. If you're drafting & trading for QBs, and tying up cap $ for each, that's fewer draft picks and $ for other positions.

Call it "spin" or whatever you want, but if you are going to totally ignore draft picks or cap $, what you wrote could arguably be said of ANY position, for example, "you can never have too many good kickers" LOL.

2. Quack

Quack New Member

If you had enough good kickers, you could field a historic team.

3. Scottso

Scottso Member

This isn't just an unconfirmed rumor. I live in South Jersey and know someone who is a very close family member to Terry Bradway. They do think that Ratliff is gonna turn out better than Clemens. At least they did back in September when I had this discussion with him.

4. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

If Terry Bradway is saying things like this to his family, he is an idiot (and also the family member who is repeating it to that someone you know). Even if he does believe it, it's stupid to be blabbing about it outside of the organization.

5. Quack

Quack New Member

As much as I agree with you, scottso has the better avatar.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Sorry, I guess I was not that clear. I merely meant it is an anomaly to have a rookie starting for a playoff team. Not that it never happens. Just rarely. I didn't mean to say he's playing great or anything, although I am very impressed with him. I wish the Jets had someone like him or Ryan.

7. Sanpetejets

Sanpetejets Member

Dude... lighten up... Its the NFL, not international espionage... Man, has the Mangini-paranoia infiltrated this fan base or what...

8. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I agree with all of this with two additional points.

There is still a possibility that Flacco gets 'figured out' by opposing defenses.

I am not opposed to drafting a QB, just redesigning the team around a QB we draft this year.

9. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Is the talent-savvy Terry Bradway even still affiliated with the Jets?

10. Scottso

Scottso Member

Haha, he acts like Bradway is a member of the CIA. How in the world would a scout telling a family member that he thinks a player, that they have locked up under contract, has the potential to be real good hurt the organization? Can someone fill me in.

11. Scottso

Scottso Member

Hey, for what its worth the same guy told me before the draft that Bradway didn't like Gholston at all. His exact words were that he thought he was too stiff.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ah. I see. Let's write it in stone, then.

13. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

The claim was that he was "better then Clemens."

I'm guessing you've never worked in a management capacity. You just don't go and compare employees in discussions outside management meetings or people you can trust. It's not just the CIA and the NFL that this rule of thumb applies to. In a very visible business like the NFL, this stuff gets out. Like, for example, you tell someone, they tell someone else, and then it gets posted on an internet chat board.

People like Bradway got to where they are by being a lot smarter than THAT.

#153 puddnhead, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  14. Scottso

Scottso Member

Yeah, you've got a point. I was wondering why the Patriots always call me trying to pick my brain. I should've talked to a management type like yourself before I gave away all of the Jets secrets. Thanks for the heads up, Boss!

15. JetD

JetD Member

Its not a love affair, it just seems like alot of fans lost hope in Clemmens, and maybe he didnt get a fair shake, with the bad OLine he played behind in those handful of games he started. I like what i saw in Ratliff, it was the 2nd and 3rd stringers in preseason, and if Favre is done then i wanna see Ratliff and Clemmens battle for the job. What many saw in ratliff..............maybe it was "hope", and at this point.....maybe thats the best we can do right now.

16. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Francesa has said all year the Jets think Ratliff has a brighter future than Clemens. And in the preseason and training camp, we all got the same vibe. Ratliff has good size and a good arm, and he played well the only times we've really seen him play. Plus, I kind of liked him at Utah as a late flyer.

Am I sold on him or in love with him? Absolutely not. But I think he would beat Kellen Clemens out for the job. I could be completely wrong. None of us know for sure. But you never know until you try.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You also hear this on pretty much all NFL sports shows "from unnamed inside Jets sources".

18. Scottso

Scottso Member

Well if Francessa said that he is an idiot. He has obviously never worked in a management capacity. The Jets better find the bastard that is telling Francessa this crap and snuff him out.

19. Sanpetejets

Sanpetejets Member

First off, that is perhaps the first time on this board that the words "smarter" and Terry Bradway have been seen in the same sentence.

Secondly, no I have never worked in a management capacity, as you clearly have, which was obviously important for you to point out. But by your reasoning, Terry Bradway can't say talk to his brother in law, who is in no way associated with the NFL, or professional sports, and when asked about Ratliff at Thanksgiving dinner say "you know what, the kid is pretty good... he is coming along a little faster then clemens believe it or not" or some such thing? Wow. I guess you're right. Loose Lips sink ships!

Finally, there have been several reports throughout the season that have said very similar things in regards to the FO's thinking about clemens and ratliff. Those leaks come from somewhere. Guess we should shut down the whole organization, because there are traitors in our midst!!!
    I am not saying this guy isn't full of sh*t. or that it is true Bradway said this, or even has family... I am not saying that Ratliff should be handed the job or is the next Joe Montana. He could be the next Joe Pasarciek. All I am saying is, the paranoia level surrounding this franchise, in the halls of jetdom, since mangini and tannenbaum took the reigns if laughable, and it has filtered down I think to this fan base.

#159 Sanpetejets, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  20. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

i voted for ratliff. i did so out of potential. i dont want another one year mercenary qb. i fell for that excitement this past year. he also threw more than two passes, and showed the ability to make some tough throws. i want to know sooner rather than later if he is anything. the only way for me to confirm if he is good or just hype is to see him in real games as i dont have access to jets practice.