Can someone please explain to me the love affair with Brett Ratliff?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Jan 7, 2009.

1. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Is that more his progression or Clemens regression? Because if Clemens progressed in any way he is our starter this year, not Brett Favre

2. JetsLookingforDWare

OH yea. Oops.

3 games plus 2 games (Skins and Ravens) that we could have had.

If Clemens' confidence isn't shot, then I hope he wins the job. His playing style reminds me of Romo. He's a little bit more mature than Tony too, seeing as he's got a wife and a kid.

I guess I'll start up that Clemens bandwagon now for no reason.

3. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

The Clemens bandwagon.........shaky knees in the pocket.indecisive about where to throw the ball,lacks confidence,over and under throws WRs, was not a leader in the huddle.......I think a few wheels just fell off the bandwagon.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't disagree but my response was to JLFDW saying the only guy that deserved a shot was Clemens. If Clemens deserves a shot, surely Ratliff does too.

So take Clemens out of the equation. Ratliff went from nearly being cut and barely being able to call a play to playing pretty damn well throughout TC and preseason. He surely made a lot of progress.

5. JetsLookingforDWare

As I could only expect from this site...a detailed, accurate, and unbiased scouting report on a Jet.

Who cares about playing behind one of the worst O-lines in the league as a first time starter...who cares about us having a shit running game...who cares that both Coles and Cotchery were injured last season...who cares Clemens still won more games than a 7 year vet despite those things...he still sucks because a REAL franchise QB would have taken this 1-8 team Clemens took over and made them AT LEAST 8-8.

6. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Brett Ratliff has shown some QB skills and the ability to throw the long ball and produce TDs I realize it was only pre-season. Clemens hasnt even done any of this regular season or pre-season. This could be why the majority of Jets fans want Ratliff. A glimmer of hope.

7. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

I don't have time to read through all the previous posts in this thread. However, Ratliff played well in both OTAs and preseason games. He showed he's capable of all the passes and has good size and a good arm. Whether he can do it on a consistent basis in real games is unknown. But he has shown some potential in limited play.

8. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Besides the physical skills he also was productive when he played.

In the 2008 preseason

Clemens - 21/38 195 yds 0 tds 0 ints
    Ratliff - 32/47 499 yds 4 tds 1 ints

Both played against 2nd and 3rd stringers

9. Quack

Quack New Member

Ran the spread. Same as Clemens. Not as mobile as him, wasn't as good in college. Lost a big game to John Beck and the rest of BYU. Thas' about it.

10. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Quote: "...There seemed to be plenty of solid press about him during training camp last year, from what I remember. As far as comparing him to Clemens, I'm not sure, but Clemens hasn't shown a whole lot at this point and he's been here long enough. Doesn't hurt to see what Ratliff can do this coming preseason..."

These quarterbacks competed with each other every day during last year's off-season. The coaching staff had a no-holds-barred open competition to see who was going to play quarterback. The CS gave Ratliff a lot of reps in pre-season games -- probably for a reason...i.e., he NEEDED them.

Maybe you don't like the NYJ CS, and feel they are incompetent but after watching all the QBs every day they put Chad first, Kellen second, Ratliff third, and then Ainge bringing up the rear.

It was not politically correct this year to give Clemens or Ratliff any reps during the season because of the 'ironman' issue that overshadowed most other considerations when it came to QB development.

I think that we will have to trust whoever the NYJ CS brain trust is to evaluate all these existing QBs fairly and come up with their answer. Hey, who knows?

Maybe it really is a $12 million per year Derek Anderson, after all...

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

ya know dware.....

i really cannot post anything of intelligence until you change that avatar.....

jil

12. jigglebilly

jigglebilly New Member

Terrible QBs do that when they're backup too.

13. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I can only speak for myself, but I would bet that most people who voted for this guy are just hoping that he at least gets his chance to vie for the spot, not necessarily trying to say that he should be declared the starter before training camp and preseason even happen.

Right now it's all just making wishes because nobody knows what will happen between now and opening day 09.

Personally, I'm not in favor of spending picks or big money to bring in a mediocre guy just because he has experience unless the new coaching staff really doesn't feel that our present roster can get it done... I guess we'll see.

14. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I think people in the Jets Organization would mean somebody other then the coaching staff because I have heard people like Mike Francessa and various other sources say that "the Jets" like Ratliff and that was after the Mangini firing.

So if "they" like him. Then let's see what he can do.

15. JetsLookingforDWare

Theres no real reason for them to not like him.

16. 319-1-x4

319-1-x4 New Member

Ratliff looked better under pressure than Clemens. Better accuracy too. Doesn`t really matter if the pressure is coming from third stringers, second or first. Pressure is pressure. Clemens should have been traded away while he was worth something. He`s like most Jet players become. Worthless now. We gave Pennington away and he led Miami to an AFC East title. Clemens should have been given to Miami, no Chad. The Jets could have dumped Coles, Clemens, Ainge, Baker and a few other players to make cap room for Chad and Favre. Kept Chad on the bench teaching Favre the playbook and being our #2 incase. Instead, we give him away for nothing and he kicks our arse. :lol:

17. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

You dont know what you have till they get a chance. Before we take off shopping - again, why dont we take a look right here on our own roster. If it takes a year to get a long term answer here, so be it. There are a few QBs out there playing now that looked pretty rough to start with. Let Clemens/Ratliff battle it out and see what we have. And the fact that Ratliff was undrafted doesn't mean too much to me. Present day - Warner, Delhomme, Romo, all undrafted, other older notables, Warren Moon, Jim Hart, Dave Krieg. Well, Romo, eh, tough to put him in there with those names but nonetheless. If we end up with a first time coach, next year may be a wash anyway.

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

It kills me how people hear talk about pocket presence, poise, and the rocket arm of Ratliff. When has he showed pose? How bout real pocket presence? Ratliff looked better with the 3rd stringers because he practiced with them. Clemens, for the most part, practiced with the 1st string. Naturally Ratliff has a better relationship with those guys. Clemens had a 3-5 record with that disaster of a team. The "Great" Pennington was 1-7. This Idea of open QB competition doesn't really work with three young QBs. Whos gonna teach them? How are any of them going to get better? Go with Clemens, and work with him. If he is truly so bad, then go with Ratliff. To put in a practice squad guy who barely suited up for most of THIS season, the year so many herald him as a god, is ridiculous. If he was really that good he woulda been the 2nd QB. Hell we only suited up 2 QBs most of the year.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Good post.

Regarding all here who made arguments for why Ratliff should get a shot of some sort or another, the OP questioned why "so much love", meaning the poll for who should be the starting Qb next year, was being shown him. In other words those people were not merely voting to give him a shot. They were saying he should be the starting Qb. And the OP questioned why. It is not an answer to say he deserves a shot. Those who voted for Ratliff, a vote that says they think Ratliff is the team's best option at starting Qb for the 09 season, have to come up with something more than that he "deserves a shot". This is where the disjunct is on this thread and the poll thread.

Showing pocket presence in a pre-season game against third stringers does not give me the warm and fuzzies enough to think Ratliff is the best option at starting Qb for 09. It's not enough. He has to show quite a bit more than that.

I don't recall concerns about Clemens's presence until he actually played in some regular season games. Who knows what we would find out about Ratliff in similar circumstances? Yet he's the best option at starting?

Hey I love being able to post here with fellow Jet fans, but sometimes you guys, some of you guys, go off on these laughable tangents.

20. Quack

Quack New Member

It wasn't Clemens' first few games where he had pocket presence issues, it was the later games after he had been a victim of Adrian Clarke, QB killer.