Can anyone please help?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by JerzeJets, Jan 9, 2021.

1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

So you remember reading the original thread when it was posted, Savatage, and you decided against giving back then, before he was exposed as a fraud?

Savatage likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The thing that bothers me the most in this thread is how many people told him he had a beautiful wife. She looks like a fucking moose.

dawinner127 and Savatage like this.
  3. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Yup, I'd rather give to folks with medical needs as opposed to those who can't handle their finances.

patleahy likes this.
  4. patleahy

yeah I hear you...that is one of the things that stunned me the MOST about this entire sorry episode....I assumed, when I read the "Please Help" thread title that this guy had been diagnosed with cancer or something. The fact that he had the gall to basically beg for money from strangers on a message board, absent any sort of emergency, just boggles my mind, lol. It reminds me of a news story from several years ago, about a hot girl who started a gofundme or something online, asking for "donations" to help her pay off her credit card bill....and since she was a hot girl, there were people (probably mostly guys) who contributed. lol.

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's not cynical - that's realistic. And it was proven.

I gave the guy some advice and the responses just did not come across as genuine while he evaded topics that would have been a tip off to more people.

patleahy likes this.
  6. patleahy

Ralebird, can you expand upon that? Specifically, what types of responses did he give you, that you found "insincere." Or what topics did he avoid discussing, which tipped you off that he wasn't on the "up and up", as it were???

7. Ralebird

You know, I don't know if I can, it was just a feeling I had at the time from the start. If I have the time later i might go back and see what stands out. I didn't want to slam the guy in case my early instincts were wrong but I kind of think I hinted at things like car loans, credit card debt and things like eating out a lot maybe without mentioning them specifically but affording the chance he could say what steps they had taken to get out of the hole he claimed to be in; the kinds of things that people can save a lot of money on. How many people do you know who are carrying two car loans when they could get by with a beater for a few years? The type of thing that you look to in order to save some money before you go begging. The original plea also seemed to be laying it on a bit too thick, I think it invoked some religious aspects. Things like mentioning both of them were driving Ubers or mowing lawns would have meant a lot. From what I remember there was little or no talk of what positive steps they were taking for themselves.

And then the bottom line is that you can't give something to everyone who needs something unless you're a Bezos or Gates. Local people in need are easier to identify and verify or simply get a better handle on and even if given anonymously you might be able to see the benefit.

typeOnegative13NY and patleahy like this.
  8. patleahy

I hear you Ralebird, well-said. Seems like you saw through him pretty quickly/easily, and that your instincts were correct. It is a shame that this guy pulled this sort of BS on TGG, which has a lot of good people on it.

9. Ralebird

We live, we learn.

patleahy likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yeah pretty much. But he isn't off the hook; if he ever applies for a job at a place that does online background checks, he's screwed.

patleahy likes this.
  11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Did you ever report it to GoFundMe or get any of your money back?

12. patleahy

yeah I hear you there Ralebird, but the shame of it is, that people like that RUIN it for other people who might be i
    yeah reading through the thread, HomeoftheJets, it seems like you were doing your best to hold him accountable, dude!!!

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

I reported it, but I didn't put in any effort beyond that; it isn't worth that much of my time to get 50 dollars back.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

In what way? They track TGG?!

15. HomeoftheJets

His full name has been posted on this thread, so if an employer Googles his name, they'll find it. It's actually on the first page of Google's results.

Jonathan_Vilma and patleahy like this.
  16. patleahy

yep, HomeoftheJets is 100% correct. When your full name is posted somewhere on the internet, a simple google search will turn it up.

Jonathan_Vilma and HomeoftheJets like this.
  17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

This video is from Turkey.

Cats are beloved in Turkey when we were growing up. Cats are considered God's guest.

18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I donated him $100. I hope I wasn't suckered into this. I hope he really needed the money.

patleahy likes this.
  19. patleahy

ur a nice guy, Brook! as are most of the people on this board. Unfortunately, I think this guy was just a lazy, entitled sod with no conscience, who decided he would beg for money on TGG and see how many generous people he could take advantage of, in an attempt to get himself some extra cash $$$$$.

Brook! likes this.
  20. patleahy

Brook! I was always a fan of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, myself. ;):)